Sun, Shopping, Sand, Surf, Sweat & Shamu: A Splashin Summertime Sabbatical at SVR!

I 2nd WaWa for gas and snacks, sandwiches are made to order and very good as well. Nice to know there is another one.

3 days?!! ! Blimey the time has flown! I'm starting to get panicky about our trip now :0 I need to set aside some time to make sure I've printed everything I need.

I really need to make a list! My daughter's starting to miss a few foodie items from home so need to shop for her. Also need to make a sign for when we pick her up ar MCO -I've printed some Mickey and Minnie ears to stick on :)

Pre-holiday cleaning. It's manic isn't it? I've swapped my working week so that I'm at home the day before we fly. I'm wondering if DH and DS will be ok with us all sleeping in the car so the fresh bedding doesn't get used :scratchin

Glad you're feeling better Gina now that the rain has put in an appearance. We can't have you feeling ill for your holiday!

Anxious to hear your reports. WE have been SW members for 3 years but planning aquatica in a few weeks. I want to know all there is about it!
have fun!

Gina I am getting excited for you and the reports you will have from your vacation. Makes me feel like I am really getting close although April is stil a long way off.

Don't tell me April is far away....our next trip is hopefully the end of April or the first week of May. I am already telling myself "it will be here before I know it"! ::yes::

So close now Gina!!! I agree with you, there should be pre-vacation vacation days;).

And post-holiday days too :thumbsup2. To recover from the vacation :faint: .

In future Gina, don't buy Jake's books at the school book store. You will save approx 35-45% buying them on Amazon or at Chapters. Sometimes there are books that you just can't find anyplace other than at school but most can be purchased elsewhere. There are also lots of sources for used books after school starts.

With our trip coming up so soon (and Jake starting classes just a day after we get home), it was easier this time to get everything at the bookstore. One book I was able to get used, which saved us a little, so I console myself with that :) . I will definitely be looking for more cost saving measures for 2nd semester.....thanks for the Chapters and Amazon tips!

Man, 44 degrees! I'm freezing at 60!

lol, when I said 44, I meant Celsius (so 111 Fahrenheit).

That said, its 14 degrees Celsius here right now. That's 57 F . I'm a popsicle :crazy2:. Tomorrow's high for us is projected to 16 C, or a whopping 60 F. On August 14th!! Surely that's going to set some low temperature record here.

With four littles (ages 7, 5, 3, 1), I almost despair of ever seeing my house clean, and they can make more mess than I can clean in the time it takes to pack. I look forwArd to the day I can send them somewhere while we finish cleaning...or when they can help us more efficiently! My seven and five year old can accomplish a lot, but the other too are crazy!:dance3:

Wow....4 little ones! I bet that poses more travel challenges than just cleaning before you depart. I can imagine its quite an expedition to get yourselves through the airport with all your wee kiddos and their luggage in tow!

I'm wondering if DH and DS will be ok with us all sleeping in the car so the fresh bedding doesn't get used :scratchin

:idea: You're brilliant! I may just have to suggest that to my guys :lmao: .

Anxious to hear your reports. WE have been SW members for 3 years but planning aquatica in a few weeks. I want to know all there is about it!
have fun!

Welcome aboard, sweetiee! Glad to have you along.

Aquatica is one of our favourite waterparks....it absolutely awesome! Roa's Rapids is my favourite feature :thumbsup2 .

You and Lynne have talked us into it :rotfl: . We'll be keeping our eyes peeled for the Wawa just so we can sample some famous Jersey tastykakes.

I'm almost done reading (so maybe someone already shared this bit of news)! Whew, I wasn't gonna chime in and just stalk; but finding a Wawa should be fairly easy for you; there is a wawa on Central Florida Parkway and I-drive; basically next door to Discovery Cove!

Here's sending you some nice weather. We had rain earlier today, but now the sun is out. Cool for us, only in the 70's right now.

More rain forecasted for us tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. Of course, Friday is Steve's only remaining day he has to work....a 12 hour shift...and its the only day that will be fit to cut the lawn :headache: . Doesn't Mother Nature know I needed a sunny Saturday morning to fit with my carefully laid plans???? :rolleyes1

I have been actively checking the Florida weather, and it looks like we're in for hot, hot, HOT! when we arrive on Sunday. :beach: Perfect for spending time in the pool!!

There is a nice new WaWa almost adjacent to the discovery cove entrance. They usually have the cheapest gas prices in the area and great food specials. Lots of different coffees and fresh pastries and made-to-order screens for food. Enjoy!:yay:

Oooooh, that will be very convenient! I see Tastykakes in our future! :thumbsup2

I'm almost done reading (so maybe someone already shared this bit of news)! Whew, I wasn't gonna chime in and just stalk; but finding a Wawa should be fairly easy for you; there is a wawa on Central Florida Parkway and I-drive; basically next door to Discovery Cove!

Hi chiamarie, thanks for joining in! I hope that Wawa is fairly new, because I swear I haven't seen it on previous trips. Surely I haven't been that blind! (but....maybe so? :rolleyes: Perhaps I need to stop gawking at those gorgeous palm trees swaying in the Florida breeze :p)

Well, let me just say this.....WHAT A DAY :sad2: .

I think I must have had some bad karma or something :confused3 .

Work was a dog's breakfast. I took one step forward and four back all day long. Everything we touched had a problem, every phone call was some new wacky issue, and to top of my gloriously frustrating day, someone pulled the fire alarm and they had to evacuate our office building for the better part of an hour while the fire department investigated every floor.

My shoe fell apart at work :headache: . My sandal lost its sole.....not even sure how that happened.

Every. Single. Person. I spoke with started their conversation with me as follows: "I know you're going on holidays at the end of this week, BUT .... " . What came after the "but" was never a good thing. If I was worried about being bored for the next two days, I no longer have any concerns!! :rotfl:

Ah well, tomorrow is another day. Heaven help me!!! :rotfl2:

Hi chiamarie, thanks for joining in! I hope that Wawa is fairly new, because I swear I haven't seen it on previous trips. Surely I haven't been that blind! (but....maybe so? :rolleyes: Perhaps I need to stop gawking at those gorgeous palm trees swaying in the Florida breeze :p)

I know it was the first one to open up in Orlando. I wanna say it was like Summer of 2012. The area around SeaWorld has kind of blown up since Anheasur-Busch sold SeaWorld (all of the land surrounding SW was owned by AB). There's a Buffalo Wild Wings, Panera, Bonefish Grill, 7-11, Taco Bell; all that have opened in the last couple of years surrounding SeaWorld.

Well, let me just say this.....WHAT A DAY :sad2: .

I think I must have had some bad karma or something :confused3 .

Work was a dog's breakfast. I took one step forward and four back all day long. Everything we touched had a problem, every phone call was some new wacky issue, and to top of my gloriously frustrating day, someone pulled the fire alarm and they had to evacuate our office building for the better part of an hour while the fire department investigated every floor.

My shoe fell apart at work :headache: . My sandal lost its sole.....not even sure how that happened.

Every. Single. Person. I spoke with started their conversation with me as follows: "I know you're going on holidays at the end of this week, BUT .... " . What came after the "but" was never a good thing. If I was worried about being bored for the next two days, I no longer have any concerns!! :rotfl:

Ah well, tomorrow is another day. Heaven help me!!! :rotfl2:

Oh Gina, it never fails does it? THIS is why I A) plan the heck out of my vacations and B) why I need them in the first place. It's always a zoo around here the few days before we go and I'm cranky, impatient, tired and stressed with all that needs to get done. And that's with extensive preparations. I can't even imagine what it would look like if I didn't plan. Last year we went the week before Christmas and left the day of my husbands final exam and giant project presentation that he'd been working on all year. You know, because getting off on a smooth trip isn't hard enough.. why not throw in all the Christmas shopping, parties, plans and activities.. oh and while I'm at it, make sure hubby is sufficiently stressed with studying, working and presenting so that he can't help. :crazy2:
It makes the vacation that much sweeter my friend. You land in Orlando and it all blissfully melts away. In my case that bliss is helped along by the meds I have to take to make sure I don't have a raging anxiety attack on the plane.. but hey.. whatever works.:rotfl2:

Ohhheeeeeaaaa!!!!! :rotfl: We are all getting excited too! My kids are sooo excited which makes me happy! :good vibes

Thanks for the reminder to call mastercard!!

I hope you have a fantastic day at work today!! pixiedust:

I know it was the first one to open up in Orlando. I wanna say it was like Summer of 2012. The area around SeaWorld has kind of blown up since Anheasur-Busch sold SeaWorld (all of the land surrounding SW was owned by AB). There's a Buffalo Wild Wings, Panera, Bonefish Grill, 7-11, Taco Bell; all that have opened in the last couple of years surrounding SeaWorld.

lol, we have been to Orlando 3 times since summer 2012 (including summer 2012) and I've never noticed it. I'm such a ditz :rotfl: . I will have my eyes peeled on this trip, for sure!!! :thumbsup2

It makes the vacation that much sweeter my friend. You land in Orlando and it all blissfully melts away. In my case that bliss is helped along by the meds I have to take to make sure I don't have a raging anxiety attack on the plane.. but hey.. whatever works.:rotfl2:

:lmao: I could have used some of those anxiety meds myself last night!

Well I hope today is a better day for you, nothing like keeping the blood pressure high :scared1:

lol, thanks Mrs Doubtfire :) . I am looking on the bright side....at least time isn't dragging by :goodvibes .

Ohhheeeeeaaaa!!!!! :rotfl: We are all getting excited too! My kids are sooo excited which makes me happy! :good vibes

Thanks for the reminder to call mastercard!!

I hope you have a fantastic day at work today!! pixiedust:

Thanks, my friend! I know you guys are smack in the middle of the same travel panic I am :crazy2: . May your last few days before departure be smooth sailing! :thumbsup2

Good morning everyone,

Greetings from the frosty north. Its a whopping 10 degrees Celsius here as I type, 50 F for my American readers. Whoever said that this is supposed to be the 'dog days of summer' certainly forgot to advise the powers that be. I can't remember the last time I went to work in the middle of August in a long sleeved shirt and pants :confused3.

Aside from trying to unravel all the recent issues at work, I've got a busy day on the horizon. I have a hair appointment after work to rid myself of all those pesky greys. My neighbours are dropping over early evening to get final instructions on the cat. And I have to make an evening pilgrimage to my moms to take her shopping one last time. This is going to be one of those "no rest for the weary" kinda days!

In the midst of yesterday's chaos, me and my broken shoe did manage to limp up to the bank to order my US cash. One of the downfalls of living in a small town is that they keep limited amounts of US currency on hand on any given day, so if you want anything more than $1000, you generally have to let them know a few days in advance. I will be able to pick it up on my lunch hour tomorrow. I also have to remember that I need to buy my September parking pass on Friday (I have to pay for a monthly parking space in our downtown core....its way cheaper than feeding the meter each day when I come to work) since by the time I go back to work, we'll be into the new month.

I have had a zillion people say to me over the past month "You're going back to Florida? Again?? Why do you enjoy it there so much?". I think today I'm just going to hit the play button on my laptop and let them watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaYTr9gpVVI

:)

He He! I get that too. Where are you going? Oh, Florida. Yep, again, and yep amusement parks. It's what our family enjoys.

Sounds like a very busy next couple of days. Never changes when you go away.

It's been a cool morning here too. Not as cold, but low 60's and even the dog was all curled up and was slow to get ready for her walk.

Have a great day, and just think tomorrow is Friday! Cannot believe how fast this week is going.

My favourite Gina is the "You know there are other places to go!". Really? I wasn't aware. Thank you for saving me from my vacation choices. ;)
I am ok with people not getting it but I really don't care for their opinion. I think we've said this before but my theory is when they are saving/paying for/planning my vacations, they get a say in where I go. Until then.. zip it.:rotfl:

We too live in a small town and learned the "you need to order your money ahead of time" thing on one of our first trips. Of course we hadn't.. so we only got as much as we could and then used credit cards. Now we know!

Good luck with your busy day! I think that is one of the most stressful parts of planning for vacay. You aren't just planning for while you are away, but planning for the things you need when you get back. Even to go to the cottage for Labour Day weekend I've got to make sure school supplies/lunches/groceries are ready for the day we get back.

Oh well.. it will all be done soon and then it's off to Florida you go!!:cool1:

Two days wow....lucky!!

Work never fails to get in the way of a vacation. it seems to never fail that everything that could go wrong goes wrong before vacation.

I have learned my lesson with after vacation. We are coming back on Friday this time so we have the weekend to recover. i hate just getting home and then returning to work. I like not having to think about going back to work on my last 2 days of vacation. Just a mental thing I guess.

On a seperate note can anyone help out a newbie on how I quote from different posts into my post?

With our trip coming up so soon (and Jake starting classes just a day after we get home), it was easier this time to get everything at the bookstore. One book I was able to get used, which saved us a little, so I console myself with that :) . I will definitely be looking for more cost saving measures for 2nd semester.....thanks for the Chapters and Amazon .

We are the ones in our circle with the oldest kid so we learned the hard way about post secondary expenses. The first year was a killer. We spent over $1200 on books and $400 on parking. Now books $500ish and parking is free.

I completely agree that there are times when quick and easy trumps all else including cost.

I totally feel your pain on the 'I know you're going on vacation, but...' Happens to me EVERY time. I work so much in the last week before a trip that I'm nearly dead. That coupled with the work involved to pack and prepare it's no wonder that DH and I end up in a bickerfest on travel day. By the time travel day arrives I just want everyone to do what I say and follow my plan without question...not very nice of me, I know and I'm sorry to all who suffer under my stress :flower3:

Sounds like a very busy next couple of days. Never changes when you go away.

I had this very same conversatino with Steve last night. He patiently listened as I lamented "I am so busy I'm feeling completely overwhelmed....you would think I would be getting better at going away and more organized each time!". Then he just smiled at me and replied...."Sweetheart, even your organizational skills can't keep the last few days from being crazy. Instead of trying to escape it, you need to embrace it. Its part of the fun.".

Hmmm.....I think he might be onto something there :scratchin .

My favourite Gina is the "You know there are other places to go!". Really? I wasn't aware. Thank you for saving me from my vacation choices. ;)
I am ok with people not getting it but I really don't care for their opinion. I think we've said this before but my theory is when they are saving/paying for/planning my vacations, they get a say in where I go. Until then.. zip it.:rotfl:

The amusing part of it all is that most of those folks all have their "regular" places they visit, too. Like a beach house that the rent or a campground they enjoy every summer or a cottage they spend a week at annually. I've never figured out the difference :confused3 .

I have learned my lesson with after vacation. We are coming back on Friday this time so we have the weekend to recover. i hate just getting home and then returning to work. I like not having to think about going back to work on my last 2 days of vacation. Just a mental thing I guess.

On a seperate note can anyone help out a newbie on how I quote from different posts into my post?

I much prefer your scheduling approach as well. Flight prices got us this year....we hoped for a Saturday departure and Saturday return, but it was substantially more (and flight prices were extra high to begin with, regardless of the day of the week). So we opted for the Sunday/Sunday schedule, and then the Sunday flight ended up being a late one (10:10 pm arrival back in the 'Cuse), which made our Sunday return an early Monday morning return :headache:. Oh, the best laid plans!!! :rotfl:

There's a little "+/" button next to the "Quote" button on each post. To multiquote, hit the "+/" button for all but the last post you want to multi-quote. They turn orange when you select them. For the last post you want to quote in your multi-quote reply, hit quote....then you will see them all on the reply page :thumbsup2 . I probably didn't explain that very well, but hopefully it will help a little!

We spent over $1200 on books and $400 on parking. Now books $500ish and parking is free.

$400 on parking?!? :crazy2: OMG! Jake's pass was $150 taxes included for the full year. I was actually pretty happy with that. Daily is $5, monthly was $50, semester was something like $110, and the full year was $150. Buying the annual pass was a no-brainer. Now I just hope his poor old car hangs in for the full semester....ol' Bessy is getting up there in years :drive: .

Work is so far going MUCH better than yesterday :worship: (knock on wood!). I have managed to put out most of Wednesday's fires and have made some noticeable progress versus yesterday's mess. One of my dear bosses even delivered me lunch today (a personal pizza and drink from my favorite pizza place) so I could keep working away.....and chatting with my friends on the Dis ;) ... over my break.

I got my parking pass for September. Had it on the to-do's for tomorrow but had a few minutes this morning that I could made the dash over to City Hall, so I figured I'd take a few minutes and scratch another item off the list.

I have also emailed our Orlando cell number to all the folks that need it.

Sweetie's Mom and I have been chatting via text, and it sounds like all her paperwork is in good order (travel documents, authorization letters, medical insurance, and the like).

I love it when progress is being made! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter