Sun, Shopping, Sand, Surf, Sweat & Shamu: A Splashin Summertime Sabbatical at SVR!

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Bed rest is the best. I don't get headaches that often, but when I do, it's miserable. I hope the medications work and you will be better later today. :hug:

Oh my gosh! 10 days! Just WOW!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Haven't got my 2nd set of bands yet, DD is already plotting which to wear which day and can she switch if she wants one of mine. Sigh, it's going to be a long trip. :)

All the clothing sales are here, back to school promotions. I may have to update some too, as maybe I can find some items for our trip on clearance. princess:

Hi Gina hope that migraine has left you...I've just had to sit and read all of your plans in one fell swoop :) My son, also 18, and his beloved are making dinner and have banished me from the kitchen. My control freak-ness does not handle that well so you've given me a reason to keep out ;)

I'm loving all your plans and have to say that I envy you missing out Disney this year. We are going but this whole Fastpass+ thing is just too much. I am not enjoying having to know 30 days out which rides to book and for what time. Bleurgh. The things we do for our children. My daughter is beyond excited to be going. Of course, she's not planning any of it lol

I put in my Diamond Lane request on Monday and have just received an email from them confirming receipt.

Hope you're pleased with the swim suits you've ordered. Fingers crossed for you. I need to dig mine out. I hate hate hate the whole thing and am another one that doesn't want to look like frumpy and mumsy. I also spend most of my time behind the camera. A stranger looking at our holiday snaps would wonder if I was even on half of the trips we've taken!

Food - ok I know you have your plans :D but I need to say - Sweet Tomatoes, we all love! My son loves their chicken noodle soup. Unfortunately their soup bowls are a little tiny for him so we have to make sure he sits on the out side of the table so he can keep re-filling the bowl.

A new place I'm hoping to try is Teak Neighbourhood Grill, 10 mins drive from Universal. I read about it on another forum and they have a burger with peanut butter included in it. Anything peanut butter-y is a winner in my book :D

I think that's me all caught up. Fell better soon.

I was fighting a migraine all weekend myself. Maybe it was weather related. I am lucky I have never had one in Florida.

I was fighting a migraine all weekend myself. Maybe it was weather related. I am lucky I have never had one in Florida.

I've had vacation migraines for the last 2 years in a row. Last year we drove down to FL and I was up all night the night before with one and then totally stoned from all the meds I had to take to get to a tolerable level pain. Dh went to work for a few hour the morning we left and I dropped him off then had to go home and pack. By the time I went back to get him I was wishing for a speedy death.

The year before we were flying from BUF and the entire day I was wishing to die. Then of course once we got on the plane it got worse and I spent the entire flight with my head on the tray table. That migraine lasted for another full day after we arrived. the second day I slept in until 10am (which never happens) and then woke up feeling fabulous.

My mom thinks it's the stress of getting everything ready to go away. I have regular migraines any way though. I have much more of an issue with low pressure than anything else. I'm a very accurate predictor of rain.

At home with a migraine this morning :sick: . It hit me first thing, as soon as I was up (spinny head, nausea, light and noise sensitivity...the whole gamut). I took a good loading dose of meds and opted to take the day off to (hopefully) rid myself of it sooner than later.

Must be migraine day. I've got one too. :headache: Hope you're back on your feet tomorrow.

Since Gina is down tonight let me fill in a touch and give us something to yak about.....no hijack intended G.

I received my guest certificate a little while ago so that matter is now covered. I confirmed dates at work so that is also covered. Of course DH asked yesterday, before I bid on the rental, and got the green light. Now today after he confirmed, his lazy/useless boss tells him that's not a good time as that is the start of the transition. They are building a new facility which is already a few months behind schedule and as of today they are still pouring concrete so lets be real......it's not gonna be open in a month from now!!!!! Which we will be home by then anyway. His boss just likes to stir the pot and does so every single time we are going away. :headache:

So tonight's serious concern :lmao: is my southbound flight. When I booked last night the afternoon non stop was the least expensive option. Now of course tonight, the 8am non stop is now available for the same price. So should I switch or not???? It would mean either staying over the night before or leaving home at 4am-ish. If i stick with what I have we leave home around 11am.

I've ordered an Entertainment book and had a peak at Groupon today. I think we might go to the CSI Experience and I'm going to hunt around for an airboat deal. I asked DH what he wanted to do down there and he said "just the usual stuff". Can someone translate that into English please?

Oh Gina :sick: ...you posted while I was typing. Migraines really bite. I've had them since I was 12. I had a good one on Sunday....I'm really sensitive to low pressure but really they come on any time.

Feel better .....just think about :beach:

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Gina. I have no experience with migraines myself but my friend did when we were teenagers and they were just awful for her. I hope the meds you took got ahead of the worst of it.

So sorry to hear about the migraine - I get them, but only about once a year; I used to have them about once every two weeks, so I don't know what changed! I feel for you very much.

On the other hand, :banana::banana: for 10 days!!

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Bed rest is the best. I don't get headaches that often, but when I do, it's miserable. I hope the medications work and you will be better later today. :hug:

Must be migraine day. I've got one too. :headache: Hope you're back on your feet tomorrow.

Thanks all :hug: . I crawled out of my dark & quiet hole this afternoon, and while I'm not exactly feeling "good", I don't feel like death either. Definitely improved from this morning. I'm keeping my Gravol at close range just in case, though.

Hi Gina hope that migraine has left you...I've just had to sit and read all of your plans in one fell swoop :) My son, also 18, and his beloved are making dinner and have banished me from the kitchen. My control freak-ness does not handle that well so you've given me a reason to keep out ;)

I'm loving all your plans and have to say that I envy you missing out Disney this year. We are going but this whole Fastpass+ thing is just too much. I am not enjoying having to know 30 days out which rides to book and for what time. Bleurgh. The things we do for our children. My daughter is beyond excited to be going. Of course, she's not planning any of it lol

I put in my Diamond Lane request on Monday and have just received an email from them confirming receipt.

Hope you're pleased with the swim suits you've ordered. Fingers crossed for you. I need to dig mine out. I hate hate hate the whole thing and am another one that doesn't want to look like frumpy and mumsy. I also spend most of my time behind the camera. A stranger looking at our holiday snaps would wonder if I was even on half of the trips we've taken!

Food - ok I know you have your plans :D but I need to say - Sweet Tomatoes, we all love! My son loves their chicken noodle soup. Unfortunately their soup bowls are a little tiny for him so we have to make sure he sits on the out side of the table so he can keep re-filling the bowl.

A new place I'm hoping to try is Teak Neighbourhood Grill, 10 mins drive from Universal. I read about it on another forum and they have a burger with peanut butter included in it. Anything peanut butter-y is a winner in my book :D

I think that's me all caught up. Fell better soon.

Welcome aboard, my friend! Thanks for joining in!

I can't believe our vacations are coming up so soon. I know our dates only overlap by a wee bit, but if we can swing that drink at the Tiki Bar, I'm totally up for it :thumbsup2 .

I've had vacation migraines for the last 2 years in a row. Last year we drove down to FL and I was up all night the night before with one and then totally stoned from all the meds I had to take to get to a tolerable level pain. Dh went to work for a few hour the morning we left and I dropped him off then had to go home and pack. By the time I went back to get him I was wishing for a speedy death.

The year before we were flying from BUF and the entire day I was wishing to die. Then of course once we got on the plane it got worse and I spent the entire flight with my head on the tray table. That migraine lasted for another full day after we arrived. the second day I slept in until 10am (which never happens) and then woke up feeling fabulous.

My mom thinks it's the stress of getting everything ready to go away. I have regular migraines any way though. I have much more of an issue with low pressure than anything else. I'm a very accurate predictor of rain.

Low pressure systems tend to be bothersome for me as well.....which is why today's episode it threw me a bit off guard. It was a spectacularly sunny day, and not even humid :confused3 .

What do you take for your migraines, dancin? When you get them regularly, do you have prescription meds or just make do with what's available over-the-counter?

Since Gina is down tonight let me fill in a touch and give us something to yak about.....no hijack intended G.

I received my guest certificate a little while ago so that matter is now covered. I confirmed dates at work so that is also covered. Of course DH asked yesterday, before I bid on the rental, and got the green light. Now today after he confirmed, his lazy/useless boss tells him that's not a good time as that is the start of the transition. They are building a new facility which is already a few months behind schedule and as of today they are still pouring concrete so lets be real......it's not gonna be open in a month from now!!!!! Which we will be home by then anyway. His boss just likes to stir the pot and does so every single time we are going away. :headache:

So tonight's serious concern :lmao: is my southbound flight. When I booked last night the afternoon non stop was the least expensive option. Now of course tonight, the 8am non stop is now available for the same price. So should I switch or not???? It would mean either staying over the night before or leaving home at 4am-ish. If i stick with what I have we leave home around 11am.

I've ordered an Entertainment book and had a peak at Groupon today. I think we might go to the CSI Experience and I'm going to hunt around for an airboat deal. I asked DH what he wanted to do down there and he said "just the usual stuff". Can someone translate that into English please?

Thank you, my friend, for picking up my slack today! :worship: I knew I could count on you guys to keep the chat rolling.

I am SO sorry to hear that your DH's boss is being such a doofus. Something like that can put such a damper on the plans (we had the same issue back in January, when Steve's boss initially denied his holidays.....AFTER our airfare was purchased). Does he risk being told he CAN'T go?

I would totally switch the flight to the earlier departure. We have done both (arrived early and arrived late in the day), and we far prefer the morning arrival. Grab a cheap park and fly hotel (Buffalo always has such super rates!) and you're good to go.

Keep an eye on Livingsocial for offers as well....that's where we snagged our airboat deal a couple of years ago. I can't wait to hear what you think of CSI, as that's something Steve has wanted to do (but Jake has no interest in....so we're saving it for a couples trip). You still considering SeaWorld? They have their 50th anniversary celebration on right now, so it might be a fun time to visit.

lol on the "usual stuff" :rotfl: . Men....they are so darn expressive, aren't they?

What do you take for your migraines, dancin? When you get them regularly, do you have prescription meds or just make do with what's available over-the-counter?

I've tried all the new prescription migraine specific drugs and while they take away the pounding in my head they still leave me with all the other symptoms....nausea, sensitivity to light/smell/sound etc. On top of that they actually make me feel a lot sicker and it's guarnteed down time....I can not at all struggle through with those ones. I'm in the minor few that experience the known side affects. So those drugs are totally out for me.

I can however take the old school prescription pain killers that are highly addictive. You now have to show ID just to fill the prescription. I really struggle with the choice to take them though as my brother who was also a long time sufferer became addicted and it really affected his life as well as our whole family. As a result of going through that with him I will suffer through a day or more of the migraine before I will give in an take the pills. In the last few years though I've noticed that they don't work all that well for me and I now have to take 2-3 at a time where I used to take only 1 and on rare occasion a second. I've been taking them for 20 years so really no shock that I'm tolerant to them. The after affects also keep me away from them.....I get totally numb and feel out of it for 24hrs after the last one. I can't at all understand how someone could enjoy the feeling and want to take them to excess.

Aside from the 'dope' I take a lot of Tylenol and Motrin. I now have to take them both at the same time. Advil does nothing for me. I'm sure my liver is like swiss cheese by now. I'm My friends laugh because I'm a walking Pharmacy. My purse contains a bottle of Tylenol, Motrin, Advil and my scrip at all times. I'm the friendly pharmacist.

Thank you, my friend, for picking up my slack today! :worship: I knew I could count on you guys to keep the chat rolling.

I am SO sorry to hear that your DH's boss is being such a doofus. Something like that can put such a damper on the plans (we had the same issue back in January, when Steve's boss initially denied his holidays.....AFTER our airfare was purchased). Does he risk being told he CAN'T go?

I would totally switch the flight to the earlier departure. We have done both (arrived early and arrived late in the day), and we far prefer the morning arrival. Grab a cheap park and fly hotel (Buffalo always has such super rates!) and you're good to go.

Keep an eye on Livingsocial for offers as well....that's where we snagged our airboat deal a couple of years ago. I can't wait to hear what you think of CSI, as that's something Steve has wanted to do (but Jake has no interest in....so we're saving it for a couples trip). You still considering SeaWorld? They have their 50th anniversary celebration on right now, so it might be a fun time to visit.

lol on the "usual stuff" :rotfl: . Men....they are so darn expressive, aren't they?

:rotfl2: You must know the boss. His middle name is doofus. Actually, I have another D word for him. Starts with D and ends with ink. I think in reality he's jealous. He got divorced after his kids was late teens then hooked up with a young chickie and they then had an accidental baby. Now he's stuck at home all the time because they are the type that think kids are some sort of handicap. And a big fat NO we're going. They have to give him the time....nothing at all had been said until today about the 'transition'. It's made up crap.

Flight is changed...thanks for deciding for me! I looked at the airport hotels and really it's not worth the trouble. In reality I would save at most 90 minutes in the morning and if I have to get up at 5am 4am isn't much different. I'll look like the bride of Chucky but who cares. I'll probably not sleep that much anyway.

The CSI thing is on Groupon it's only $12....do it. Leave the youngin's on their own or over at the mall. We did Titanic last year and loved it....they are side by side.

Seaworld is still on the table. Do you know if I could buy the weekday tickets that are on UT...they say they are for US residents only but the tickets are emailed. The total cost would only be $138.

:rotfl2: You must know the boss. His middle name is doofus. Actually, I have another D word for him. Starts with D and ends with ink. I think in reality he's jealous. He got divorced after his kids was late teens then hooked up with a young chickie and they then had an accidental baby. Now he's stuck at home all the time because they are the type that think kids are some sort of handicap. And a big fat NO we're going. They have to give him the time....nothing at all had been said until today about the 'transition'. It's made up crap.

Flight is changed...thanks for deciding for me! I looked at the airport hotels and really it's not worth the trouble. In reality I would save at most 90 minutes in the morning and if I have to get up at 5am 4am isn't much different. I'll look like the bride of Chucky but who cares. I'll probably not sleep that much anyway.

The CSI thing is on Groupon it's only $12....do it. Leave the youngin's on their own or over at the mall. We did Titanic last year and loved it....they are side by side.

Seaworld is still on the table. Do you know if I could buy the weekday tickets that are on UT...they say they are for US residents only but the tickets are emailed. The total cost would only be $138.

Yay! You changed your flight!! :banana: Might as well squeeze out every drop of time that you can from your spontaneous getaway. And who the heck cares what you look like on the plane? Most of the passengers will barely have their eyes open on that early flight, anyway :rotfl: .

I am not sure about the residence exclusions on the UT SeaWorld tickets, but the weekday ones available on the SW website are open to Canadians:

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/book-online/tickets/allticketstourists/

They have good deals on the Aquatica tix, too, if you were thinking a waterpark day might be in order.

Steve and I chatted about possibly doing just what you suggested with the CSI Experience (great minds think alike, right?). But I vowed I wasn't going to spend another dime on attractions :rolleyes1 . I will have to mull it over a little more before deciding. It would be nice to have another rainy day option....because you know, travelling at the end of August, that there WILL be a rainy day (or two, or three, or....).

Good morning all! I am up and feeling much better this morning (I was going to say "normal", but who am I kidding? I haven't been normal in a long, long time ;) ).

I am also groovin' to the single digits!! :woohoo:

Glad to hear you are feeling better! :)

Cannot believe single digits. :woohoo:
We're down to 12, but even that's omg! I have so much still to do.

Found a spooky mickey head pumpkin shirt for my teen DS. He's ok with wearing it to the Halloween party, but he also has a shirt that says Keep Calm and Fear the Zombies. I guess we will take both, and see which one he wears. No way is any type of costume happening. DD, however, is trying to squeeze into her Jasmine costume from last year. I doubt it will fit. We'll see. She wants to dress up. Sigh, we may be costume hunting these next 2 weeks. :rolleyes1

Well, it's a beautiful sunny start to a lower humid day with a high of 82. Over 10 degrees cooler than average. I don't think we've even had such a pleasant August start. :beach:

Time for my tea. :coffee:

Gina: Glad you are feeling better, I too suffer from migraines and the summer is usually the worst time for me. I am as good as any meteorologist in predicting the weather. I have had them since I was little. I use a prescription, non-addictive medication that works well, I rarely have to take the second dose.

On the other hand I hope Jake and Sweetie find some fantastic buys. I love chothes shopping in Florida. I have seen Jake in t-shirts that my grandsons would love, I never did find the Nike one that said There is no I in team, although I still look for it. My working days are numbered so there wasn't quite the same excitement in shopping for myself when we were there and heaven knows I don't need another pair of dress shoes. Even the grandkids are getting harder to buy for, how I miss the days of shopping at Carters and OshKosh.

Hoping you have seen the last of migraines for a while, I think vacation will be a good cure.

Wow, single digits! It's amazing how the trip kind of sneaks up on you! I think that's the real purpose of these PTRs - to be able to keep your eye on your trip instead of it creeping up without you realizing it. We're all watching the clock on this forum! :)

Glad to hear you are feeling better! :)

Cannot believe single digits. :woohoo:
We're down to 12, but even that's omg! I have so much still to do.

Found a spooky mickey head pumpkin shirt for my teen DS. He's ok with wearing it to the Halloween party, but he also has a shirt that says Keep Calm and Fear the Zombies. I guess we will take both, and see which one he wears. No way is any type of costume happening. DD, however, is trying to squeeze into her Jasmine costume from last year. I doubt it will fit. We'll see. She wants to dress up. Sigh, we may be costume hunting these next 2 weeks. :rolleyes1

Well, it's a beautiful sunny start to a lower humid day with a high of 82. Over 10 degrees cooler than average. I don't think we've even had such a pleasant August start. :beach:

Time for my tea. :coffee:

I think the t-shirt is a GREAT compromise for your DS :thumbsup2 . That's what my clan had agreed to as well, when we thought that the first MNSSHP might be happening on August 29th (which we would have purchased tickets for).

So sweet of your DD to still want to dress up! How about you, Momma? Will you go all out with a full costume or just do a themed t-shirt? (or nuthin' at all?)

Its gorgeous here today, too. The perfect summer weather IMHO. Sunny, warm, low (to no) humidity. I wish it would last 12 months of the year!!!

Gina: Glad you are feeling better, I too suffer from migraines and the summer is usually the worst time for me. I am as good as any meteorologist in predicting the weather. I have had them since I was little. I use a prescription, non-addictive medication that works well, I rarely have to take the second dose.

On the other hand I hope Jake and Sweetie find some fantastic buys. I love chothes shopping in Florida. I have seen Jake in t-shirts that my grandsons would love, I never did find the Nike one that said There is no I in team, although I still look for it. My working days are numbered so there wasn't quite the same excitement in shopping for myself when we were there and heaven knows I don't need another pair of dress shoes. Even the grandkids are getting harder to buy for, how I miss the days of shopping at Carters and OshKosh.

Hoping you have seen the last of migraines for a while, I think vacation will be a good cure.

You know what? I haven't seen Jake wear that shirt in FOREVER. I should check and see if he still has it, and mail it out to you (I'm sure its in what we affectionately refer to as "the stack".....some 90+ t-shirts of every colour, size, fabric and style.....yep, he's a clothes horse). Leave it with me, and I'll see what I can do :) .

Wow, single digits! It's amazing how the trip kind of sneaks up on you! I think that's the real purpose of these PTRs - to be able to keep your eye on your trip instead of it creeping up without you realizing it. We're all watching the clock on this forum! :)

:rotfl: No kidding! Honestly, doing this PTR has been such fun, and has definitely made the time pass more quickly and more enjoyably. I can't thank you guys enough for chipping in with your thoughts and comments along the way. You are all such great company, and such fun folks to be around :goodvibes .

----------------------------

In other news today, I got a happy little surprise at work this morning. I work for two financial planners, a father and son team. The father (who is the senior advisor) had left an envelope with my name on it sitting on my laptop (along with a buttertart from the market.....oh, my hips! :faint:). I open it up, and inside there was beautiful card with a handrwritten note thanking me for all my efforts over the last 3 months (when we've had a few additional administrative projects in addition to the normal day-to-day activities). Inside the card was $100 in US cash, with a notation to "add something fun to our trip".

I do work for the nicest people. ::yes::

Nope, T Shirt will be my costume. I have a nice one from Disney. Maybe some Disneybounding outfit instead, but depending on how hot it is, I may be just shorts and T shirt.

And I'm with ya, DS has a ton of T's. He lives in shorts and T's year round. Only time sweat pants or jeans appear is when we're way below freezing.

Awww. Nice thank you from your boss. For all the drama and work, you deserve it.

Speaking of sweets, did you ever have a tastycake? My town is known for them, and well, soft pretzels too, but if you don't eat the soft pretzel shortly after it's baked, you don't want it. Anyway, tastycakes travel better.

I asked DH what he wanted to do down there and he said "just the usual stuff". Can someone translate that into English please?

I will if you will explain to me why when women say "nothing" it's always something...

grunt...

In other news today, I got a happy little surprise at work this morning. I work for two financial planners, a father and son team. The father (who is the senior advisor) had left an envelope with my name on it sitting on my laptop (along with a buttertart from the market.....oh, my hips! :faint:). I open it up, and inside there was beautiful card with a handrwritten note thanking me for all my efforts over the last 3 months (when we've had a few additional administrative projects in addition to the normal day-to-day activities). Inside the card was $100 in US cash, with a notation to "add something fun to our trip".

I do work for the nicest people. ::yes::

Are you sure those "efforts" weren't preventing his son from totally borking up his Disney vacation?

P.S. - glad you had a speedy recovery from the megrims.

Nope, T Shirt will be my costume. I have a nice one from Disney. Maybe some Disneybounding outfit instead, but depending on how hot it is, I may be just shorts and T shirt.

And I'm with ya, DS has a ton of T's. He lives in shorts and T's year round. Only time sweat pants or jeans appear is when we're way below freezing.

Awww. Nice thank you from your boss. For all the drama and work, you deserve it.

Speaking of sweets, did you ever have a tastycake? My town is known for them, and well, soft pretzels too, but if you don't eat the soft pretzel shortly after it's baked, you don't want it. Anyway, tastycakes travel better.

Mmmmmm.....I've never had (nor heard of) a tastycake, but I must admit, I'm intrigued. Anything with the word "tasty" and "cake" in the name can't possibly be anything but dee-lishous! (I admit to having a very substantial sweet tooth....I take after my father's side of the family ;) )

Jake and Steve adore soft pretzels :love:. Its their favourite snack at Discovery Cove. Ya know though, with some of your recent posts, I'm beginning to think you live in a little corner of heaven itself. Soft pretzels, tastycakes and no tax on clothing? Sounds like the best place to live in America to me! :laughing:

I will if you will explain to me why when women say "nothing" it's always something...

:rotfl:

Poor Munro, you need a little more male company on this thread.

Yoohoo....grantclaire, where are you?!?!?

Munro needs some back-up.....I think we ladies have unintentionally ganged up on him. :rotfl2:

"Nothing" means that you are in deep doo doo but I'm trying to be nice about it.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

So. Well. Said. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter