• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sun Allergies

disneygal922

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I've been looking around for an answer to my problem but can't seem to find one! My DBF and I are taking our first vacation together! Unfortunately, he has very bad sun allergies (he's a tomato in 20minutes) and I am nervous in the Florida sun, he will have a bad reaction. He's a big and tall type guy and was wondering if anybody knows where I can find light weight long sleeve shirts for him? :confused3 We are planning on loading up on the sunscreen every hour but I'm still nervous! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

hello.
You need to go to a sporting goods store, something that carries hiking gear. He can find really lightwieght shirts that actually are spf 30. I'm in the northeast and we have campmor , gander mountain .

that's a great idea.

bring a hat as well and he should be covered. you'll be in and out of the sun all day unlike some places were you'd be exposed for hours at a time.

He may already have a fav brand of sunscreen but if you can find this one it's really good. Aquasheild made by BananaBoat. It is a very thick, SPF 30 that gives you 8 hours protection in the water. I would still re-apply frequently even though it says 8 hours. We discovered last summer that the 'waterbaby' sunscreens with an SPF50 are similar to Aquasheild.

Also, take as many indoor breaks as possible. I agree that an outdoors type store would be your best option for specialty clothing or hats. I don't think that your average sporting goods store would be the place to look.

I'm not sure, but I believe L.L. Bean also carries special protective clothing. Good luck with the search and have a great trip.:goodvibes

I second sunprecautions.com! An extremely valuable site for good sun protective clothing.

Kris

I start to burn in minuets, the best sun block for me is Neutrogena ultra sheer dry-touch sunblock, cream or spray SPF 70 with helioplex.
It is expensive, but it has never let me down.

I know lands end has spf shirts for kiddos...go look around...

good luck....

I also am sun sensitive....face puffs up...do pretty good at disnet, though

I know that either Hanes or Fruit of the Loom (sorry I can't remember which one) now makes long sleeved t-shirts to buy in a package anywhere that sells it, like Walmart, and I believe they're reasonably priced.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I will definitely check into some of the lotions and apparel reccommended. :)

I feel for him! I used to have that problem as a kid! I spent my first trip to Disney at the age of nine looking like a great big swollen red tomato!! They parked me with my Grandma in the shade a basically had to wait for the sun to go down to have any fun! I was so glad I outgrew that!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter