• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer visits, packed or manageable?

jxh1

Supreme God of All Things Disney!
Hey guys! My family and I are frequent visitors to WDW, but have never really gone in the middle of summer, usually our vists are late winter, early spring or in the fall. How are things in the parks July? Is it worth treking the family (kids ages 7 and 4) thru the heat or are the parks as packed as I think they are? Just looking for some input to help us figure out if we are crazy for even thinking about it at that time of year. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Well, there are a lot of people, but I feel it's manageable if you use fastpasses. It's not like Christmas when you can barely move, although the crowds are heavy on main street after fireworks and parades. It also helps if you stay in the parks on rainy days because people will leave if it rains too long, um, wait, I mean make sure you go back to your resort if it rains ;).

I have anxiety and get really stressed in crowds, especially during meals because I have 5 kids so it also helps our family if we plan one table service meal a day so I can decompress.

Everyone has a different opinion, but July is the one month that I won't go to WDW. It's not just the heat - we usually go in August. It's the crowd/ tour groups. Every July, you hear horror stories on the DIS about the tour groups. I can handle the heat OR I can handle large crowds. But both at the same time.:crazy2:

We go almost every July. It's hot BUT it's manageable. Number one thing is get to the parks at opening. There are so many air conditioned rides (except for AK) that you get cooled off often. Use Fastpass. Take a break in the afternoon. Drink A LOT.

What about June, is that just as bad as July?

I'm a teacher and we head to WDW as soon as school gets out in June. It's crowded, but managable for those who know how to plan. Get to the parks early, take a break and head for the pool or naptime when the afternoon crowds (and heat!) appear, then come back for night time fun.

I haven't done July, I hear that's when the tour groups take over.

I've gone in both June and July, we did see more tour groups in July, but we didn't have any of the negative experiences with them that others have mentioned. You absolutely want to avoid the week of July 4th.

One thing we considered when planning our next trip was that when we went in June the kids didn't have as much summer time after school let out to look forward to the trip. They got out, went to WDW, then had the rest of the summer of "I'm bored!" ahead of them. When we went toward the end of July they came back home and started thinking about back to school. Just my experience.

Like other posters said the hot weather and crowds are manageable if you get to the parks at rope drop, have a good touring plan and make good use of fast passes. However, I have reservations about going in July as that seems to be the most crowded time/month of the summer at Disney, particularly because of the tour groups.The earlier or later in the summer you go, the better.

We went last week of July into the first week of August last summer. I didn't notice tour groups and we simply followed our touring plan as far as which parks to go to which day and it worked out perfectly. The only time there was a huge crowd was DHS on an EMH night.

Try to get into the parks early, drink a lot of free ice water, take a break in the afternoon and I think it's fine.

I live in FL and have been to Disney MANY times. I have only been to the parks a few times the last few years in the summer ,and honestly I can tell you I probably never will again.
FL is hot,and I live in FL,so I should be more used to it,but being at the parks in the summer is sooooo miserable with the heat.It gets really hot.Plus it is more likely to rain during the summer. Also the crowds are ridiculous,with some having lines around an hour or more.
My favorite times to go are February or November(not Thanksgiving time) or early December.Where the weather is gorgeous,and the crowds are thinner. Disney is fun,but with all the walking and long days,you want to enjoy it more,not be dying of the heat and spending more time waiting in lines than you are on the rides.
The only reason we went during the summer is because that is when my stepson visits.But honestly,I would rather take him out of school and fly him down here at another time,than to ever go during the summer again...if that tells you how much I dislike it during the summer! lol

I live in FL and have been to Disney MANY times. I have only been to the parks a few times the last few years in the summer ,and honestly I can tell you I probably never will again.
FL is hot,and I live in FL,so I should be more used to it,but being at the parks in the summer is sooooo miserable with the heat.It gets really hot.Plus it is more likely to rain during the summer. Also the crowds are ridiculous,with some having lines around an hour or more.
My favorite times to go are February or November(not Thanksgiving time) or early December.Where the weather is gorgeous,and the crowds are thinner. Disney is fun,but with all the walking and long days,you want to enjoy it more,not be dying of the heat and spending more time waiting in lines than you are on the rides.
The only reason we went during the summer is because that is when my stepson visits.But honestly,I would rather take him out of school and fly him down here at another time,than to ever go during the summer again...if that tells you how much I dislike it during the summer! lol

Wow, I have never waited in line for anything at WDW for an hour! I think that's where fastpasses, getting there at rope drop, and a good touring plan that others have mentioned come into play.

I've never waited for anything at Disney for over an hour either---except for when we went to the Carsland opening day.

We went in July and I said never again! I get cranky in the heat and it was hot! And I'm from Tx!!! But it's a different kind of heat in FL. I was pretty miserable as was most everyone else in our crew. I will take the crowds at christmas over the heat of July!

Every time we go it's in late June or early to mid July.

Yes it's hot. That's part of the reason why like it. It's summer in Florida, it's supposed to be hot. :beach:

We find the crowds manageable. We arrive at rope drop, ride the popular rides first, and use FastPasses. It's very rare we spend more than 20 minutes in a line.

How about late August? Our kids school doesn't start till after Labor Day. How are the crowds then.
Thinking we'd love to take the camper down and stay at FW

Shhh, don't tell everyone. Late August is pretty manageable crowd-wise. Is it hot, yup. It's summer & Florida, so we are disappointed if it is not hot! Parks are open pretty late, so you can go & avoid the heat of the day by doing early morning & late night. Waterparks are enjoyable & crowds are thinner every day closer to Labor Day. Oh, I am talking myself into another trip!!

Thanks everyone! We usually go in the late winter/early spring when the weather is nice (not too hot) and crowds are very managable. This year we an't go at that time and were just wondering about a summer trip. all your thoughts and opinions certainly help and most seem to be along the same lines that I was thinking.

Thanks again! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter