• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer storms!!

Jonell

DIS Veteran
We're spending 3 weeks at the FW this summer. It will be our first time camping there . I know there will likely be a afternoon rain event daily during the summer. How to u prepare your campsite before going to the parks during the day??? We'll be staying in our 24 ft TT and doing most of our cooking outside. Do we need to pick up everything outside and roll up our awings before going out each day??.. Thanks

You should never go off & leave the awning out unless your awning has a sensor to automatic rollup. We kept our rugs down because they were on cement. Our grill we covered it up & cooler we kept outside. Had no problem & we had some heavy spring rain with very little wind. We were at the Ft 4/12 thru 4/23 - our site was 728. Hope all goes well & you have lots of fun. After you camp @ the Fort, you will never want to camp any where else. lol

ROLL THE AWNING UP!
Nearly $2,000 worth of damage including labor because of that mistake. Several campers and tents took damage in that one. We were at HS. By the time I realized the storm was coming it took too long to get back to the campsite, storm had already hit. You cannot predict them enough. Now, if you are going to be staying around the campground, then sure leave it out. I lost one full day waiting for the initial repair assessment (they had to send somebody out), then lost another half day when the repairs were performed.

Even using tie downs is no guarantee to protect it. I agree that an auto awning is good but I don't have that kinda cash, I usually spend it on peanuts for my little friends. :squirrel:

Last edited:
Rolling the awning up.... well not really, as I usually have xmas lights on it. Sure am I taking a risk??? I do try to tie down to the picnic table or ground. Only in the most serve cases - Bow echos on the radar do I pull up the awing or if there is a high wind warning. Otherwise its out. If not the camper is like 1,000,000 degrees when we get back.

Enjoy your time, I would be more worried about the alligators and hissing armodilos

. . . I know there will likely be a afternoon rain event daily during the summer. How to u prepare your campsite before going to the parks during the day??? We'll be staying in our 24 ft TT and doing most of our cooking outside. Do we need to pick up everything outside and roll up our awings before going out each day??.. Thanks

1) No "likely" about it. Expect them as almost a definite.
2) Absolutely roll up the awning.
. . . usually the wind is not too severe
. . . however, one never knows
. . . you would not want to be in a park, look up, and see an RV floating by with the wind filling the awning like a sail
3) Your other items can easily be kept in some kind of a camping or "dock" box while you are away from the campsite

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter