Summer School

God, I wish that doing gym ahead of time was an option here; I definitely would have signed DD up for that. The only class she could take over summer was a required computer skills class, but she couldn't do it because her grade school didn't finish before the high school summer class started.

The public districts here all have some kind of credit recovery program in summer for high school students. This year our district had so many failing students that they restricted it to seniors only, so as to get them out to make room for the incoming freshman in August. The program is now over; it started the week after school let out in late May and ran for 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Summer school is definitely still a thing for failed classes around here, but also many districts run enrichment or optional remedial support programs (especially this year with so many students so far behnd grade level) programs. There's also extended year programs for students with disabilities that get extended school year as part of their IEP. Districts provide bussing for all of it.

No summer school around here that I know of. In my district, the exception is Driver’s Ed. It’s based at the high school, but they contract out instructors from a local driving school. (When I was in HS, it was taught by faculty members). Back in the day, they had a few academic classes for the kids who failed the state exams (NYS Regents) and needed to retake to graduate. No PhysEd/gym. In New York you’re required to take it every school year, at least 2-3 times a week, grades K-12, no exemptions.

I've never heard of the school providing transportation for Summer school but times may have changed.

Just like I’ve never heard of taking summer classes to make room for other classes during the regular school year. 25 years ago when I failed grade 11 math and had to take summer school, it cost around $100. I can’t imagine what it would cost now.

While there are enrichment opportunities and options to take general classes in the summer months, credit recovery is still a real thing.

I’ve always thought it a waste to see the remarkable buildings known as schools to sit empty all summer long.

What great use they could be put to if only we had the will.

It appears we still have summer school in the District I live in. We never had bus service for summer school, and they eliminated regular school year bus service about 20 years ago. Only special needs students have bus service, as required by Federal Law, and their programs do run year round.
My kids went to Catholic High School, and they were REQUIRED to take summer school three of their four years. School required 5 years of English, Math and Science, and that is the only way to pull that off.
But one school district here is year round and their "fall" track started July 15.

Just like I’ve never heard of taking summer classes to make room for other classes during the regular school year. 25 years ago when I failed grade 11 math and had to take summer school, it cost around $100. I can’t imagine what it would cost now.
I kinda think some of it is related to college prep sort of thing. Along the way a shift occurred where students prep a lot for college more than I think they used to.

When I was in high school I was dual college student enrolled for French but that was during the school year because the point was to be taking a course but have it count towards college credit. Maybe in some areas that works the same but they have a summer course instead.

Summer enrichment programs have been a thing in my area for decades. I did it when I was a kid and did arts and drama over the years. But the type of courses and what they are used for I think has shifted a bit.

We had summer school here in our district. Big push to get the kids who were on-line full time last year to come back in and get re-acclimated to life in a real school. Many of the kids fell really far behind being online all year.

My district offers two types of summer school. One is credit recovery for high schoolers that didn't pass, but had a grade above 50 so they actually stand a chance at passing by the end of the summer. I'm not sure that we actually bus students for that, but our high school only has 500 kids in it...

The other is the special ed extended school year program, which we are required to consider for every special ed student in the district ages 3-21. We do bus for that. It's need based, and not tied to grades. I'm a speech pathologist so I'm working that program this summer.

Yes our school system has it. This year (since last two school years have been cracked up by the Pandemic), they have virtual summer (keep your mind fresh and if you need practice)) courses.
which I am the “bad” grandmother and bought the summer practice books for dgd5 . But I did with t with dd as well.

It doesn’t cost anything here. Summer school at the high school is free and dual enrollment at the junior college is $19 (admin fees) for high schoolers.

I've never heard of the school providing transportation for Summer school but times may have changed.

In our district, transportation is provided because they choose one high school, one middle school, and about 3 elementary school locations to hold ALL the classes. Our district is large, with 6 high schools, 9 middle schools and something like 30 elementary schools. Because they consolidate, most kids attending summer school are not attending a campus anywhere near their home.

Our district does both remediation summer school and enrichment classes.

They offer online summer school here, and specific classes in certain schools (so if you failed English 3, you went to one school to retake it, and if you failed Physics, you went to this other school).

Some sports are doing training and meetings already (or never stopped over the summer), and sometimes they have busing available for that.

I guess some kids take summer school to make up classes when they failed. I took summer school most every year in elementary school and Junior High for something to do, and usually a "fun" class like photography, took typing between 6th and 7th grade, and repeated it between 7th and 8th grade. In high school, I went to a private high school my freshman year, and it put me off schedule on my science classes. So I took Chemistry class in summer school. It was so much nicer to have a 4 hour class for chemistry than an hour during the regular school year. We got so much more done.

Elgerber, how I wish I could have not only taken gym online but over the summer for a shortened period way back when! One of the very happiest days of my school life was finally being rid of gym after 10th grade. sadly my PE experiences were not positive. Too bad the internet was still new when I really could have used it! Still, it never occurred to me that it could (I have no idea it was) be an option to take it over the summer.

That summer, I swear I could make the 1 mile jog around the track take all day....
My girls loved summer school for {E. They hiked a local nature trail area daily; then they did roller skating, bowling, swimming and all kinds of fun social sports like badminton, kickball and made great friends. It left room in their schedules to stay in orchestra and still do dual credit classes and start earning college credit.

Elgerber, how I wish I could have not only taken gym online but over the summer for a shortened period way back when! One of the very happiest days of my school life was finally being rid of gym after 10th grade. sadly my PE experiences were not positive. Too bad the internet was still new when I really could have used it! Still, it never occurred to me that it could (I have no idea it was) be an option to take it over the summer.
Ha. When I went to school the internet wasn’t a thing nor could we take gym at a different time. I also could not WAIT until the last day of sophomore year so I never had to set foot in the gym ever again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter