Summer Party appetizer and misc. help needed!

njsweetP

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

We are having a 50th birthday party for my husband in July. While the main meal is being catered I need help with appetizers and desserts. I need some different ideas in addition to the chips and salsa we always have. The party will be outside under tents, which leads me to my next question - how can I keep things like potato/macaroni salad cold? I read on another thread someone had mentioned blow up pools filled with water and ice. For some reason I am coming up blank on how to keep this stuff cold. Any other ideas/tips/hints/games to make this party fun (not that it won't be ;)) would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Ice chests for drinks. They make freezable containers you can put food in. There are also blow up things similar to kiddie pools made for keeping foods cold.

Appetizers-fruit kabobs, fruit salad, chicken wings, quesadillas, candies pecans, ham and cream wheels wheels, 7 layer dip, meat balls, meat/cheese tray, shrimp cocktail, pigs in a blanket, guacamole, stuffed mushrooms, various salads.

I'm going to a Lost Finale party tonight and its pot luck and... I love to make meatballs cooked in the crockpot with cocktail sauce and cranberry sauce... they are wonderfully awesome and go over very well...

something else i love to make is chocolate covered grapes those are heavenly...

but yes blow up pools work you can prob. pick them up at the dollar store

My fave sides/desserts:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Best-Grape-Salad-35450 - sounds odd but OMG soooo yummy.

I made a sweet & sour cucumber salad for a picnic today. I can't find the recipe link, but all it is - take cucumbers, peel & slice thinly. Salt & pepper to taste, then add equal parts apple cider vinegar and white sugar. I used 1.5 cups of each for 10 cukes today. Refrigerate overnight.

This was a HUGE success at several parties last year we attended. Very easy to make. Found the recipe on the food network. I used a green apple.

Grilled Apple and Brie Quesadilla with Strawberry Apple Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee, 2008

Show: Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra LeeEpisode: Discount Dinner

Cook Time:6 min
Level: Easy
Yield: 4 quesadilla
CloseTimes:Prep10 min Inactive Prep2 min Cook6 min Total:18 min Recipe
Ingredients
1/4 cup cream cheese
8 soft taco size flour tortillas
1/2 pound brie, cut into thin strips
1 apple sliced thin
Strawberry Apple Dipping Sauce:
1 (8-ounce) jar strawberry jam
1/4 cup applesauce
1 pinch ground cinnamon
Directions
Preheat grill pan over medium heat. Spray pan with nonstick spray when ready to start cooking.

Spread the cream cheese evenly over 4 of the tortillas. Evenly divide Brie strips on top of the cream cheese. Divide apple slices on top of Brie. Place remaining tortillas on top to make 4 quesadillas.

Place each quesadilla on grill pan and grill 3 minutes per side or until tortilla is browned with grill marks. Use spatula to flip tortilla. Once grilled, remove from heat and let cool for about 2 minutes before slicing.

Cut each quesadilla into 6 pieces and serve warm. Serve with dipping sauce.

For Sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and microwaves for 1 to 2 minutes until hot.

Next Recipe

Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs, so easy and sooooo good.
Cut up raw chicken and place it in a bowl with teriyaki sauce. make a few fork marks in the chicken cubes so it will sink it. Refrigerate for about an hour. Take pineapple chunks from a can of pineapple and alternate chicken and pineapple on a skewer. Then pour some teriyaki sauce on the whole thing before you put them on the grill. It's best to prepare the chicken/pineapple skewers ahead of time all at once. Place them on the grill until the chicken is done. SO good and SO easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter