Summer and Dave, Almost there! 2011-05-19 @ DLR

Skyetk

Earning My Ears
Here is the first, and longest, post about our road to our Disneyland wedding.
Summer and Dave May 19th 2011
Who IS that? *2006* The first time I saw Dave I was standing outside with a friend of mine and saw him walking out of our squadron, both military. I nudged my friend and said, “Who is that?” Over the next few weeks I made sure he noticed me too.

So this is love - After 6 months of dating, nothing too serious, he got orders that would move him to Germany for two years. He said that he wanted me to come with him, if you are unfamiliar with military orders the only way to make something like that happen would be if we were married (and even then it’s not a guarantee), this is when I realized how serious he was about us.
Trials and complications - For those who have not had a long distance relationship I’ll give you this bit of advice; Always plan your next reunion. Once he was settled in Germany I applied for a passport, paid the extra cash to get it “rushed”. Two weeks after I received my passport I was on a plane to Germany. 18 months, three pond hops, and 4 countries later we were still together and going strong.

The beginning of my Happily Ever After*2008* For Christmas we decided to go to St. Martin with my parents. The other intent was to look for the ring and for Dave to “officially” propose, I say officially because these days most couples have the talk where they pretty much determine the intent to get married but there really isn’t a proposal. Well we found the diamond had it set and before we left the store he took my hands looked into my eyes and asked, “Will you marry me?” Two weeks later I started emailing with a Disneyland wedding planner.

Again with the Trials - 3 months later I received orders to go to Germany, I know sounds great, but Dave was returning stateside in 18 months, I’d be leaving in 6 and staying for 4 years. Meaning more long distance. I had a decision to make. 8 years and the military had been very good to me, I liked my job and I was great at it. But I decided I was ready for my new life.
Being a normal couple again *2009* We bought a house and I had my first meeting with the Disneyland wedding coordinators. It was late November and I, flew in from Oklahoma, met up with my aunt (mom #2, drove in from Arizona) at Disneyland to meet with Traci, the Disneyland wedding coordinator I had been emailing with for the last year. We arrive at 11:45 and “receptionist A” does the how can I help you bit, we tell her we have a 12:00 with Traci and she asks us to have a seat and tells us that Traci stepped out for a moment but will be back in a few minutes. We sit down, and at about 11:55 “receptionist B” asks us if we have been helped. I tell her that we spoke with the other receptionist and that we had a 12:00 with Traci. She gets this look on her face and says, “Traci is on maternity leave.” At this point I start to panic, because if a receptionist doesn’t even know that someone who they work with wasn’t on a 20 min break, did anyone know I was coming?! Did I just fly halfway across the country for nothing? By now my aunt has me turned around so I’m face to face with her and she’s saying “it’s ok, calm down, it’ll be ok”. This is not working.
I meet Cynthia – Then a woman comes out greets me and says hi, I have all your emails with Traci and I’ll be working with you today. I’m going to bet that through this meeting I was not the most pleasant person to be around. Cynthia was upbeat and a true wedding professional the entire time. P.S. I’ve been corresponding with Cynthia ever since and even through my continuous emails of “oh I had another question” she has continued to be great.

And the Trials continue *2010* April my mother is diagnosed with cancer and the doctors declare her one year terminal. My aunt and I spend a month in Washington helping out with my younger brother and 2 younger sisters while following my mom around 3 different hospitals. After 2 weeks the doctors say yes to a surgery, a week and a half later she has the surgery. Three days later she’s awake and off the ventilator. She’s doing well, we’ve been REALLY lucky so far with her recovery.
Wedding planning week #2 – Dave couldn’t attend again because of military work stuff, so I invited my mother. Mom has a bit of difficulty walking but she loves showing off her surgical scar (ITS HUGE) and telling people how she’s no longer terminal. So the plan was Monday morning meet the photographer and the afternoon we were meeting with Cynthia, Tuesday was the Disneyland Halloween Party, and Wednesday was a hair and make-up trial THEN blue bayou for lunch in the park! Monday morning we got stood up at the photographers office, during lunch he called me apologized and said, ”There is no excuse it’s my fault, what are your plans for the rest of the day”. My meeting with Cynthia went great, of course, I did see the photographer he and his wife were very personable and my mother loves them. Tuesday was very cool, see…

Wednesday, my hair and makeup trial started an hour and a half late, thank you CA traffic, and we missed our Blue Bayou reservation. But we still went to the park and ended up getting a walk in at about 3pm at the Blue Bayou.
A final thought: For some reason when messed up things happen with me, they are all things that are beyond human control and things you can’t get mad at. I’ve been late to a meeting, I’ve gotten stuck in traffic, and I’ve been left out of the loop of why someone wasn’t there. It’s frustrating knowing I can’t actually be mad about these things; all I can do is have faith that the week of my wedding planets align and everything goes right.

Now that our couple story has been told here are some wedding details and photos for those of you like me who LOVE to look at the pictures...
Let’s see where to start…
I’m not going to post the dress or the shoes till after the wedding, gotta leave some surprises. And keeping surprises for your wedding is SOOO hard cause you want to tell everyone who asks cuz your SOOO excited!
So I went with the Ceremony at the Rose Court Garden

Reception at the Sleeping Beauty Pavilion.

There ceremony and the Reception actually have two different themes. The Ceremony colors are Pale pink, Peach and Ivory - I wanted a relaxed romantic feeling.
Here are some examples I gave to Kelly, the floral and decor rep at my last meeting at Disney.

The Reception Theme is bolder and the colors are Red, Blue, Black and Ivory. Not a strong flower presence.
This is the basic idea for the centerpieces:

Bridesmaids.
When this was going to be a smaller wedding.... I was going to have my three best friends, Leonor, Lizzie, and Joanne and that was it. Well then I thought about it a bit and I realized I really wanted my future stepdaughter, Juniper, to be my maid of honor. Well when I told my mom that we had set a wedding date she said well your sisters are going to be bridesmaids right? Anna and Alex were added. Then I made a new great friend and she was SO great with helping me with wedding stuff that I knew she HAD to be in the wedding, enter Brittney. It's hard for me to tell people "you will buy this" and "you must pay for this" when I'm asking them to go all the way to California on their own dime. So I made a style card for their clothing and hair that way they can have a bit more of their own style.

Mother of the Bride Attire
I need help... I started thinking the red.. now i'm thinking the gold. what do you think?

Welcome on congrats on all your wedding planning! It seems like you have had a tough couple years and it's great you are getting a Disneyland wedding! You have so much done already and it all looks wonderful! Can't wait to hear more!

Thank you! And I totally understand, it's my favorite color as well. Lots of red shoes (hint on wedding shoes), purses hoodies, and jackets.

My dilema come into the fact that since the official wedding photos are going to be in the garden and have that more romantic Ivory/Peach/Pale pink colors to it. IT might look off with the red.

But oh do I love red!

Thank you! And I totally understand, it's my favorite color as well. Lots of red shoes (hint on wedding shoes), purses hoodies, and jackets.

My dilema come into the fact that since the official wedding photos are going to be in the garden and have that more romantic Ivory/Peach/Pale pink colors to it. IT might look off with the red.

But oh do I love red!

I think it will be fine as red goes with all of the tones you are using in the garden. As long as you don't mind if she stands out a bit in pictures (and how can you mind it seems like you almost lost her, to have her stand out in pictures will be like she's still here!) I think it will be lovely.

The wedding planning meltdown *DRAMA*
I’m realistic.
I chose to have a Disney wedding for a couple different reasons.
1. Majority of wedding guests would be traveling from where ever they were so I wanted to choose a location where there were multiple things that they could do and basically turn a long distance trip for a wedding into an opportunity for a vacation.
2. Disney stuff is always pretty, and they have a reputation for being “Practically Perfect in Every Way”.
3. Being labeled a “Disney Bride” was also very appealing.

Basically a big wedding was never a dream of mine, the dress YES the wedding not so much. Before actually deciding on having a Disney wedding the sensible side of me came out and said eloping would be more cost effective and we wouldn’t be any less married. When I ran this idea past my family the response was, “that sounds wonderful, wait, you’d still be inviting us right?” This made it obvious that I would be having a “wedding” wedding.
Since then majority of input has come in the form of “(place opinion/suggestion here), buts it’s your wedding it should be whatever you think”. Word of the wise… I’ve learned what that phrase REALLY means… “It’s your wedding and should be whatever you think, but if you don’t agree with me I’m going to roll my eyes and make you feel like a jerk for not knowing that I know better”. I usually agree with my family members with most things, but the few times I say no I kind of get bullied into it from different angles, like a gang.

This brings me to today’s main topic.. the wedding planning meltdown. Apparently this is common, so my invitations lady told me. I have decided to not have children at the wedding. I love kids, but weddings are boring for them the random blood curdling scream that may possibly come out of one while my video-grapher is filming… sorry that’s just not appealing to me. Majority of people do not have an issue with this even with the long distance travel. Long story short in an effort to assist someone who was having an issue with it, my mother in-law told my fiancé that my father in-law and one of my sisters in-law would take the kids to Disneyland during the wedding to keep them occupied.

I get very confused when I don’t understand people “whys”; why some people think its ok to wear T-shirts to weddings, why wedding dresses run 2 sizes small, or even why they keep changing the day and time of TV shows I like, ok I know why they do it.. but it’s still annoying right?
Well the above mentioned statement via my in-law frustrated me. I couldn’t sleep so I face booked my father in-law and my sister in-law asking them why they didn’t want to be at the wedding, not in an angry way.. I was really worried that maybe we weren’t on as good of terms as I thought. And for the record my in-laws are awesome! Anyways my sister in-law said that there a mis-communication because when she mentioned the kids and the park she was talking about a different day, and my father in-law promised to be front row and tuxed up.

That night I determined that if this wedding planning thing gets any more frustrating, we’re canceling everything and going on a Disney cruise and to a sandals resort. After informing key members of my family about my determination to stay peaceful and sane… well, things have been much more relaxed.

*Meltdown over *

Well minus that- someone, I think I may know who but im not positive, who told my uncle that I wasn’t inviting him to the wedding anymore. Which was totally untrue. He won’t tell me who said it, and really that’s better.

All very frustrating! I am trying to be as dramaless as possible with my wedding plans, as it sounds you are, but I think it is inevitable that some way, some how, drama will always arise when it comes to weddings! Oh and I have to agree with the "why" statement about wedding dresses since I just went shopping this weekend and found myself asking "why?" when the lady told me dresses run small. I just don't understand why you would make dresses small when you are trying to convince a bride (who are almost all obsessing about weight) to spend a lot of money on a dress she is going to wear for one day? I don't get it?

So I'm currently on the Floral and Decor page of the planning process.

My original plan was to have fake bouquets and boutonnieres with real flowers for the moms. Well one of the mom's did the, "well you should really have real flowers, but it's your wedding". After being reminded of this "suggestion" multiple times I gave in.

For those who are unfamiliar at the flower person is different from the actual wedding coordinator. So now I have Cynthia- Wedding Coordinator and Kelly Floral and Decor.

At our meeting we went over the ceremony colors (as I previously noted the ceremony colors are different from my reception colors).
This is the photo I gave for a bouquet reference….

When I got the floral and decor proposal from Kelly.. I got to see how much these items would cost… YIKES. When I showed Dave the costs I let him know that I could cut it or go with the fake flowers because these items weren’t really important to me. He told me I could keep the whole thing! The only costs he actually questioned was the lit topiaries (I’m a sucker for Christmas lights on fake shrubbery) and the rose petal cones, for the guests to throw when we exit-and I was willing to cut those if he wanted.

I wrote back to Kelly with some minor description corrections.. I LOVE stargazer lilies! And I asked her to send me photos of the Ivory drapery she had listed in my floral/décor proposal.
These are the photos that she sent me

Now, those photos look very nice.. but if I’m going to have the drapery (which is not free) I want it to stand out a bit more. I talked to Kelly and she said that anything other than the basic colors (white or Ivory) has an additional fee of $100 for "specialty" linen. So I’m waiting on her email with the new color options. The garden is beautiful on its own so if there isn't a fabric I fall for the ceremony site wont be losing anything.

I’m definitely getting the Sparkle Ceiling Swag... still debating on the lit topiaries….

We won’t be doing anything to the chairs because they are pretty cute. You can’t see the pattern in the pictures but the fabric is a dark navy blue with mickey heads all over it with gold and dark red/burgundy accents. Oh and check out the carpet… its blue with stars all over it. I LOVE this room!

All very frustrating! I am trying to be as dramaless as possible with my wedding plans, as it sounds you are, but I think it is inevitable that some way, some how, drama will always arise when it comes to weddings! Oh and I have to agree with the "why" statement about wedding dresses since I just went shopping this weekend and found myself asking "why?" when the lady told me dresses run small. I just don't understand why you would make dresses small when you are trying to convince a bride (who are almost all obsessing about weight) to spend a lot of money on a dress she is going to wear for one day? I don't get it?

Ya family is fun... Ha, the wedding dresses. Maybe they are still using forms from the 1950s, dress sizes have grown since then; a size 16 today was a size 12 then. You know before the days of "00" and negative number sizes. LOL

Like I said.. I’m not putting photos of MY dress on here but there was a road getting to MY dress. I’m not posting MY dress because I don’t want Dave to see it.

This is the Lace Dress I’m love the train

I call this one the SIZE 6 dress. See I’m a size 12 and they didn’t have anything bigger than a 6 in this dress but because of the back on it I was able to try it on. For people who want color on their dress this is a great option because the band at the top can be a variety of different colors.

Ok so here is the 2nd runner up in the dress race. I put this dress on and felt like a fairytale princess. It had chiffon and great movement.. I think I tried this dress on like 4 times, I even sent my parents photos. This WAS the dress..

1st runner up. Loved the fabric … loved the shape it gave me. It was a bit higher then I had intended to pay for a dress, but I was thinking about it. This became the IT dress.

Hi Summer! I :love: your PJ! Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!! First I have to say that your Mom is definitely a strong lady and I am so happy that she is recovering well. Also, I am so sorry for some of your earlier frustration with DFTW. I had initially been speaking with Traci as well and then learned that she was on maternity when I went for the initial meeting. Everyone had recommended her and I had two friends who had her and I was hopeful, then sad and worried. I ended up with Kelly and she is amazing! I really like her.

Which photographer are you using? Hair and make-up? I haven't decided on hair and make-up yet, but I really like flawless faces. Are you having a DJ at the reception?

I adore the pavilion, it is so unique to other locations. Are you having an afternoon or evening reception? The draped lights absolutely add something, i wish they came with the room, but they are well worth the added charge.

HAHA, My bridesmaids started at 3 and grew to 5 currently, however I can't add another even if I wanted to because the dresses I chose have been discontinued. :sad1: It is amazing to me how much things change during the planning process. For example, all the construction at the Hotel that was unexpected!

I think your cake is amazing, so fun, which flavors and fillings did you chose?

As far as your Mother of the Bride dress, I really like the gold, I think that it is not only beautiful and classy, but 1. it fits with the romantic theming you have chosen and 2. it isn't too bold as to detract from you the bride!

I am not having any children attend also, it is boring for them and you're right, one scream or loose child could ruin your video or memories! I have a few that are within the age group for Pinocchio's Workshop (5-12) and I think it is an affordable option and fun for the kids.

I have Kelly G too for floral and decor and man is it ever pricey! I am still trying to decide on what I REALLY want vs. what I don't need. The plans are coming along great, thank you so much for checking out my page, and I can't wait to see more. I am down at the parks often, so please let me know if you need me to be your legs to check on things. ;)

I’m using Bob Ortiz as my photographer and I’m using Tara from Fairytale Hair and Make-up.
I can’t really recommend either because; well I haven’t seen the finished product you know.

So when I went for my last wedding meeting in October I met with Tara and Bob.

I made this list of “must have” shots for Bob, recommend by some wedding website. Well I’m a bit of a SUPER PLANNER and a bit picky... so my list is a 17 page power point slide WITH photo examples of poses, angles and finishes I did and did not like. I’m in love with Google image search. He starts thumbing through it and it turns out that a good portion of my sample photos that I like were ones HE took. So that was cool.

We are using the Disney DJ-mainly because they are already there and they know the room and are undoubtedly professional and family appropriate. And I didn’t have the availability to research and/or interview anyone.

We are having a 5pm wedding on a weekday. But since its spring the sun should be setting pretty late. I picked middle May because I wanted the garden in full bloom.

I’ve been in the idea stages for about 3 years, and ya, I’ve seen a bunch of stuff change. Like my 2nd runner up dress … they don’t sell it anymore, I’m thankful I kept looking around- which I only did because I wasn’t thrilled with the service at David’s Bridal. The water falls- Cynthia told me during out first meeting in 2009 that they were doing something to that area and it probably would not be available for pictures, however I was not expecting the level of construction that they ARE doing to it. It worries my mom. When we met with Cynthia this October mom asked Cynthia a couple times to make sure there would be no construction noises during the ceremony or reception.

We are doing all the food tastings in March, but for now here are our cake choices.
The Cake – It’s going to end up being 3 tiers.
-Tier 1 (Top): Golden Vanilla Cake, Bavarian Cream Filling, Fresh Strawberries, Neutral Soak
-Tier 2 (Middle): Lemon Pound Cake, Fruit Mousse Filling, Mixed Berries, Grand Marnier Soak
-Tier 3 (Bottom): Chocolate Cake, Dark Chocolate Mousse Filling, Fresh Raspberries

I did get referral for flowers and I’ll be contacting them to see what the difference $$ wise is. Just for people flowers though. My aunt, the one who said I must have flowers said she would figure out the pick up if we used an outside vendor.

I am also thinking about figuring out the amount of fabric that is needed for the aisle draping and just bringing some to tie onto the chairs, instead of going through Disney. I’m going to look at craft stores for shimmery organza and chiffons.

BTW, Thank you so much for the offer of an extra pair of legs!

OMG, I just noticed we have the same wedding date - 5/19 - but mine is next year :)

Any new updates? You are so close now! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter