• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer airfare ??

DisneyRookie2007

DIS Veteran
Can anyone give me an idea of what airfare during the summer months has been in the past? Would it be more or less expensive than buying now?

My wife and her 4 girlfriends are cruising out of Miami at the end of August. They are looking for flights from either Moncton or Halifax to Miami.

They seem to think they need to act fast and buy airfare ASAP. Travel agent telling them air fare will only go up? I can't see it. Flights from Moncton on WJ are about $800 with only 1 stop each way. Halifax prices are lower, but the girls don't want to drive down and then back again.

Anyways......do they buy now....or have there traditional been seat sales in the summer ?

Well, I am no airfare expert, but I can tell you this:

We booked our summer flights (August 26th to September 2) on January 19th. Cost for 3 of us (direct flights and taxes included) was $868 return. We are flying Jetblue out of Syracuse to MCO.

Those same flights, if booked tonight, are now $1930.80 :scared1: .

We have watched the flight prices for our dates creap up, up, up ever since we booked.

Prices for YEG to MCO have stayed about the same at about 660 each. Occasionally a few seats will go down to 590 but then they go back up. I hear they go down a bit in may/june but not too sure.

keep watching we found last may seat sales for end of August, they were half the price but only for 1 day.

oh and dh uses kayak as it alerts him when there is a sale.

Well, I am no airfare expert, but I can tell you this:

We booked our summer flights (August 26th to September 2) on January 19th. Cost for 3 of us (direct flights and taxes included) was $868 return. We are flying Jetblue out of Syracuse to MCO.

Those same flights, if booked tonight, are now $1930.80 :scared1: .

We have watched the flight prices for our dates creap up, up, up ever since we booked.

From what i understand that is a jetblue issue all over right now. Using other airlines would not be that drastic.

I was told a couple months ago for our august trip by a travel agent to wait as their will be seat sales, i looked in january, was almost 2000$ for 3 from ywg, now is 1600$. I am going to wait 1 more month & see.

I would wait a bit if i were you

From what i understand that is a jetblue issue all over right now. Using other airlines would not be that drastic.

I was told a couple months ago for our august trip by a travel agent to wait as their will be seat sales, i looked in january, was almost 2000$ for 3 from ywg, now is 1600$. I am going to wait 1 more month & see.

I would wait a bit if i were you

I agree with the waiting part....but the other parties in my wife's group seem to thik they need to act ASAP. I guess a travel agent friend told them airfare prices will be increasing for the summer months :confused3

Right now it's looking like at least $750 each return :scared1:.....I feel the prices can't get much higher than that.

In general, airfares are much higher this year. I'm flying from BUF to MCO in June/July and I paid approx 40% more than in past years. I've watched the fares daily since the dates were realeased in November and the price has gone up and down only about $10 each way. Righ now they are starting to go up higher and I really doubt that there will be any deals to be had at the traditional 6 week mark.

Since November there has only been 1 sale on SW and it was for very limited dates and only for Tues/Wed travel.

Booked my flights today... I was lucky to get all mine free (long story... will start a thread on this) but check AirTran, flying from Buffalo. If you don't mind one stop they currently have air fare for about $200 each way per person!

Only catches are... AirTran will sell you tickets until all the seats are sold... Please note I said SEATS not tickets (seat pre-selection costs about $6 to $20) per person so I would strongly advise anyone to pay the extra to ensure you have seats on the plane as AirTran will over book their flights regularily and you don't want to ruin your vacation because a flight was over booked over a lousy few bucks savings.

Other catch is... you have to pay to check all bags except the one carry on.

Hope this helps! Good luck

Booked my flights today... I was lucky to get all mine free (long story... will start a thread on this) but check AirTran, flying from Buffalo. If you don't mind one stop they currently have air fare for about $200 each way per person!

Only catches are... AirTran will sell you tickets until all the seats are sold... Please note I said SEATS not tickets (seat pre-selection costs about $6 to $20) per person so I would strongly advise anyone to pay the extra to ensure you have seats on the plane as AirTran will over book their flights regularily and you don't want to ruin your vacation because a flight was over booked over a lousy few bucks savings.

Other catch is... you have to pay to check all bags except the one carry on.

Hope this helps! Good luck

We travelled Airtran (12 times to be exact) many times, only one stop that we took from Atlanta to Minneapolis was oversold (over the intercom, they offered people to give up their seats for Airtran credit up to $500)
With airtran you are allowed one carry-on (over top bins) and one personal item (under the seat), all other is checked and a cost of $20 for the first luggage piece.
If you check in 24 hrs before the flight you can select your seats (for free) and not have to worry about giving up any seats, if thats your concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter