Sum of All Thrills to Close

I think that what you are describing, you will see down the road on Universal's new, huge tract of land. Disney has given up on the vision thing (when it comes to theme parks) and is only creative when it comes to squeezing and cost cutting. What you see going on right now at WDW are external impulses and money at work (Avatar), no brainers based on hit movies (Frozen, SW), minimal "throw something quick in there" and penny-pinched upgrades like Toy Story, hand-me-downs like Soarin', and a lot of placeholding if not downright neglect.

That pattern is pretty clear and pretty solidly entrenched. There was some initial excitement with the announcement of DHS plans that "now we're turning the corner" ... but since then the previous, disappointing trend has continued.

I'm not convinced that they aren't slashing and burning the studios expansions as we speak.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Loved that Ride. my son loved that ride. It got him out of his shell in experiencing a thrill ride under controlled conditions and he loved the design aspect. Really bummed out.

(Note tWife posted on my username above, I'm not bi polar)

What a sad commentary on the 'state of the the future' in EPCOT. So much wasted potential. I agree that Disney has lost it's vision, abandoning the future, to focus instead on movie themed trends that will attract crowds, and enable them to sell truckloads of related merchandise.

There's reason for pessimism, but we should also have some faith in stock market's ability to single out, chastise and correct the behavior of Disney.

OK guys ... you reacted to attendance and revenue problems caused by cost cutting and price increases by ... cost cutting and raising prices. Nice try. But we don't think that's any way to bail yourself out of problems caused by ESPN, China and Paris. Oh gosh ... China and Paris ... just as an aside, what were you thinking?

I think a conversation such as the one above will start happening by this autumn at the latest.

A princess makeover of Norway and a new evening show are not going to keep their kettle boiling all the way through to 2017 and Avatar Land. Not against the headwind of worldwide financial and political upheaval, constant cutbacks and price increases, and a maze of construction walls.

Try writing that on your next cupcake!

pirate:

There's reason for pessimism, but we should also have some faith in stock market's ability to single out, chastise and correct the behavior of Disney.

OK guys ... you reacted to attendance and revenue problems caused by cost cutting and price increases by ... cost cutting and raising prices. Nice try. But we don't think that's any way to bail yourself out of problems caused by ESPN, China and Paris. Oh gosh ... China and Paris ... just as an aside, what were you thinking?

I think a conversation such as the one above will start happening by this autumn at the latest.

A princess makeover of Norway and a new evening show are not going to keep their kettle boiling all the way through to 2017 and Avatar Land. Not against the headwind of worldwide financial and political upheaval, constant cutbacks and price increases, and a maze of construction walls.

Try writing that on your next cupcake!

pirate:

While I love your narrative...you're assuming there's anyone left in the market that isn't looking for quick bucks like they are...

...I don't.

I thought that Epcot might be going downhill or at least changing when Horizons went away. You know that pavilion that was all about the future? People argue that the pavilion was in bad shape and that it wasn't only due to neglect (maybe) but the concept could have stayed. I wonder sometimes if Disney didn't already want that pesky bit about the future to go away all the way back then.

One I worry about is Spaceship Earth. So far so good but if Disney decides to turn Epcot into MK Light or even just a shopping and dining venue as some have said then what does that mean for Spaceship Earth?

I agree with the OP. Why on earth can't they just re-brand it and keep the attraction open? It's like they don't even try to think outside the box.

While I love your narrative...you're assuming there's anyone left in the market that isn't looking for quick bucks like they are...

...I don't.

They've all been chasing the quick bucks for sure. But I think it's not going to work any more. The speculators will drop out and Disney will have to cultivate value investors instead. It won't be a Disney-only problem either.

Cultivate value investors ... and "value customers" if you know what I mean.

I think that what you are describing, you will see down the road on Universal's new, huge tract of land. Disney has given up on the vision thing (when it comes to theme parks) and is only creative when it comes to squeezing and cost cutting. What you see going on right now at WDW are external impulses and money at work (Avatar), no brainers based on hit movies (Frozen, SW), minimal "throw something quick in there" and penny-pinched upgrades like Toy Story, hand-me-downs like Soarin', and a lot of placeholding if not downright neglect.

When I read your post, the old saying "innovate or die" came to mind. Disney doesn't seem to be innovating anymore, so you know what that means.....

IMHO, Disney really needs a visionary to take the helm. Not a cost cutter. Not someone who only focuses on expansion while allowing everything else to suffer. A true visionary.

Its sad because Epcot is our favorite park, more of a favorite than MK. Maybe because it isn't like MK is what makes it our favorite.

They need leadership that isn't a cheap suit from 80's sitcom land...

That's just cutting it to the bone.

Just announced, CEO Bob Iger's replacement...THAT GUY!

That Guy: Back in the 1980's I was the toast of Wall Street. I was having whiskey with Boesky and cookies with Milken. But then I was diagnosed with terminal boneitis.

Fry: Boneitis? Pft! That's a funny name for a horrible disease.

That Guy: There was no cure at the time. One drug company was close but I arranged a hostile takeover and sold off all the assets. Made a cool hundred mil. Naturally I froze myself until a cure was found. Now here I am, ready to sleaze my way back to the top, 80's style!

Last edited:
Was Sum of All Thrills always a sponsored ride? I'm assuming yes. I don't remember actively looking for it in my past trips (some of my trips are fuzzy as I was a kid). If Sum of All Thrills was always a sponsored ride and Disney is deciding to close it if the sponsorship goes then it's basically Disney not wanting to pay for something that they didn't have to pay for before. Should they keep it open..IMO yes even though I have never ridden it. In the grand scheme of things to me it would seem petty to not put forth money for at least a few years until the expansions are really done.

In other threads I've def. been a realist when it came to Disney so I'm not arguing that they actually care about pleasing their customers at this point just making a "thought out-loud" statement that losing a sponsorship shouldn't mean the end to this ride especially one like this which at least to me the uneducated one (as far as ride costs go) doesn't seem to cost a whole lot for upkeep.

Was Sum of All Thrills always a sponsored ride? I'm assuming yes. I don't remember actively looking for it in my past trips (some of my trips are fuzzy as I was a kid). If Sum of All Thrills was always a sponsored ride and Disney is deciding to close it if the sponsorship goes then it's basically Disney not wanting to pay for something that they didn't have to pay for before. Should they keep it open..IMO yes even though I have never ridden it. In the grand scheme of things to me it would seem petty to not put forth money for at least a few years until the expansions are really done.

In other threads I've def. been a realist when it came to Disney so I'm not arguing that they actually care about pleasing their customers at this point just making a "thought out-loud" statement that losing a sponsorship shouldn't mean the end to this ride especially one like this which at least to me the uneducated one (as far as ride costs go) doesn't seem to cost a whole lot for upkeep.
I believe it was I just don't know the sponsor off of the top of my head.

I believe it was I just don't know the sponsor off of the top of my head.

The Sum of All Thrills opened on October 14th, 2009 and has always been sponsored by Raytheon.

Thank you for letting me know :) I thought it was but wasn't fully sure.

That would also explain why I don't remember it from earlier trips. I don't think my husband and I even remember seeing it in Sep 2011 when we last went (not sure why?) though it's a type of ride my husband would love..me not so much. Now I'll be sad that he will have missed out on the opportunity if it close :(

I don't think my husband and I even remember seeing it in Sep 2011 when we last went (not sure why?)

It's tucked away in a corner and not really talked about or advertised. No FP+ availability. You really have to know it's there.

So wait, I'm confused. Is it definitely confirmed closing? OP makes it sound like it's not been announced anywhere, just speculation since sponsorship is gone and there's a deadline on viewing videos.

Not that I don't absolutely believe it could be cut under these circumstances, but the title of this thread is misleading. It's really just a (probably true) rumor at this point, right?

It's tucked away in a corner and not really talked about or advertised. No FP+ availability. You really have to know it's there.

So wait, I'm confused. Is it definitely confirmed closing? OP makes it sound like it's not been announced anywhere, just speculation since sponsorship is gone and there's a deadline on viewing videos.

Not that I don't absolutely believe it could be cut under these circumstances, but the title of this thread is misleading. It's really just a (probably true) rumor at this point, right?
Yeah that makes sense we probably didn't go in-depth exploring. I've been using "if" for closing aspect. Can I easily seeing it closing? Yes but I haven't seen anything real official on it..least not that I remember.

Supposedly there is an exclusive deal that only Uni can deploy this robot arm in theme parks, but SoAT was allowed through a loophole. Perhaps the loophole disappears with Raytheon's sponsorship.

Supposedly there is an exclusive deal that only Uni can deploy this robot arm in theme parks, but SoAT was allowed through a loophole. Perhaps the loophole disappears with Raytheon's sponsorship.
The Kuka arms are Disney's even after the attraction would close. However it's unclear if they could use them in another attraction right away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter