Suitcase full of food...

This is our first trip flying. We have always driven in the past so I'm beginning to stress. We're flying Southwest and between the 8 of us, we will be able to check 16 bags plus each have a carry on and a personal item (32 packable items total) so we will have plenty of extra space.

Has anyone put cans of beer or pop in their checked bags?

We plan to pack our food/drinks is bags and pad with towels instead of clothes in case there are any problems we will still have clean clothes. :)

Will there be any problems checking empty suitcases on the trip back? I don't see why but thought I'd ask.

Question for those who bring perishables (ie cream cheese, cheese sticks, etc...), why don't you just order it from garden grocer instead of bringing it on a plane. Is it that much cheaper to buy at your local grocer? I really don't get it. We drive but never bring anything like that. Only thing we bring are the babies cookies since she specifically likes those from whole foods and a few bottles of Gatorade for me since I run every morning.

This is exactly what I plan to do. I'm thinking of packing a case of water and a big bottle of sunscreen. Cereal and dry food are just too dry for me so I won't be packing those

Question for those who bring perishables (ie cream cheese, cheese sticks, etc...), why don't you just order it from garden grocer instead of bringing it on a plane. Is it that much cheaper to buy at your local grocer? I really don't get it. We drive but never bring anything like that. Only thing we bring are the babies cookies since she specifically likes those from whole foods and a few bottles of Gatorade for me since I run every morning.
Because I am bringing so few of the perishable items that I would not hit the minimum purchase limit for Garden Grocer so there would be an extra fee on top of their double prices in addition to having to tip the delivery person. That is my situation though. One small tub of cream cheese and some cheese sticks are just not worth the order.

Because I am bringing so few of the perishable items that I would not hit the minimum purchase limit for Garden Grocer so there would be an extra fee on top of their double prices in addition to having to tip the delivery person. That is my situation though. One small tub of cream cheese and some cheese sticks are just not worth the order.
What is the minimum purchase amount.

Minimum is $40
To be honest with all the food you listed that you are bringing, you should have no problem meeting the $40 minimum. Just knowing you don't have to lug that food around is worth spending a little bit more $$.

We stayed at value resort last year... we actually packed a whole suitcase of food... and had food delivered down there.... We froze alot of things such and packed them in a freezer bag, we even brought a toaster with us and made bagels, toast etc... tuna sandwiches, hot dogs, granola bars, quick snacks were our lunch, we ate in for breakfast, and had a few nice meals out for dinner.... we even went to Pecos Bill in the Magic kingdom, and hubby and I split a burger, and used the toppings on the topping bar to make salads with the burger.. ;) We compared ourselves from prior years, and found we spent way less.... this year we are staying at Saratoga, and will be buying ahead as well.

We are staying off resort (in a house) and we will have a car so I won't need to ship stuff (thankfully) but I am enjoying all these ideas as we plan on brining lots of snacks into the park with us, to help cut down on food costs. Our last vacation we blew our budget out of the water because we spent so much money on food while in the parks.

To be honest with all the food you listed that you are bringing, you should have no problem meeting the $40 minimum. Just knowing you don't have to lug that food around is worth spending a little bit more $$.
I am flying southwest and get a second bag for absolutely no charge. In my mind it does not make sense to spend twice the money on something that I can bring, for free minus the cost of the actual item bought on sale, with me. I understand that for some this sounds like a hassle. I am a sole supporting single mother and work my tail end off to get the funds together to take a trip across the country to WDW and it is by employing very small, and harmless, savings techniques that allow me to expand our trip to include firework cruises, pirate makeovers and nice dinners. A small price to pay in my book.

I am flying southwest and get a second bag for absolutely no charge. In my mind it does not make sense to spend twice the money on something that I can bring, for free minus the cost of the actual item bought on sale, with me. I understand that for some this sounds like a hassle. I am a sole supporting single mother and work my tail end off to get the funds together to take a trip across the country to WDW and it is by employing very small, and harmless, savings techniques that allow me to expand our trip to include firework cruises, pirate makeovers and nice dinners. A small price to pay in my book.
Good job Mama! It takes a lot of hard work to plan a Disney trip!

I have walmart.com ship most of my items, so there is less to pack. They deliver non-perishable foods, shampoo, conditioner. Tide, Sunscreen, dryer sheets, etc. We use Staples to deliver a case of bottled water to us for free.

We have done it both ways, brought food and had food delivered. From now on I will bring food. I was shocked at how much the bill was for delivery. You can get milk and a lot of other things in the hotel store. I think I would have saved more doing that.

They sell cream cheese in the hotel store, at least they did when we were there.

We also brought a hard sided suit case packed with food. In addition to what others have listed, I brought coffee supplies. Including disposable coffee cups. This way I could make a pot of coffee and bring a cup when we headed out to the parks.
We then ordered water, beer, and cold items from GG. Order early and you should get a discount.

If I have to pack food from home the trip isn't worth doing, I will wait another year and do it right.

If I have to pack food from home the trip isn't worth doing, I will wait another year and do it right.
For some of us, it's not about cost. It's about not being able to get specific items at the resorts. But, since there's no WRONG way to do Disney, you're doing what's best for your magical vacation while others are doing what is best for them.

When my friends come to see Mickey they have quite a long day in route, so she packs those individual cereal bowls, cereal bars, Pringles or Doritos the ones in the round cans. Chex mix and goldfish crackers in the little milk cartons, boxed muffins, pop tarts. They put all this in back pack and carry it on, so while they are in the airport they have something to eat, without spending a fortune. They use the snacks on the plane too. Last year they got caught mid way between WDW and home, their flight was delayed about 5 hours, my friend was so glad that they had gotten some snack items for on the way home.

She orders from Garden grocer for the room, case of water, Gatorade, soda, juice boxes, fruit, cheese and other snacks. They normally stay at CBR.

We stayed at value resort last year... we actually packed a whole suitcase of food... and had food delivered down there.... We froze alot of things such and packed them in a freezer bag, we even brought a toaster with us and made bagels, toast etc...

Not a good idea. You are not allowed to use toasters in hotel rooms; they are a fire hazard.

Not a good idea. You are not allowed to use toasters in hotel rooms; they are a fire hazard.
That's what I was thinking. Does not matter if you unplug it while gone. As I mentioned before, we were checking into wilderness lodge and the room next to us had a slow cooker plugged in and stunk up our room and the hallway. Maintenance went in and removed the slow cooker and had to fumigate the area. I think they were cooking sausages or hotdogs with sour kraut. Someone didn't have dinner that night. I just wish those people who bring all this food from home would use some common sence and use the cafeteria to warm their food up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter