Suitcase full of food...

Paigesmom2013

DIS Veteran
We will be flying Southwest for our Disney trip and want to designate one suitcase/duffel bag for food for the week. I'm wondering what would be good to pack. Probably staying at a value so I'm not cooking dinner or anything like that. We like to eat breakfast in the room. And we need snacks for me, dh and 2 kids 5 and 2.5.

My tip: don't pack marshmallows! Lol! They turn into a giant ball of sticky mess because all of the air is sucked out of them during the flight. I learned the hard way and it made for a very messy/interesting s'mores session during the campfire with Chip 'n Dale.

We don't pack food, but do a food order with Garden Grocers to be delivered. That way we can also get things like milk and string cheese that will not spoil. (Also great to order diapers and baby wipes so you don't have to pack)

Some of the items we get include sturdy fruit like apples and grapes. We also like to have the snack packs of gold fish and granola bars. DH also likes to carry some nuts as they are a good protein source and stick with you. I also tend to get fruit snacks for the kiddos.

For breakfast you can do bagels, bread (if you have a toaster) and peanut butter. Instant oatmeal pa keys could work as well if tou have a microwave or coffee pot in the room.

I sometimes pack breakfast things

Homemade muffins-pack in a plastic disposable lays potato chip container.(wrap each ind)

Bagels--love cinnamon raisin bagels-peanut butter,cream cheese,fruit and savoury.

Humus,pack with cheese--I use my work lunch bag which is freezable.

Box of assorted crackers.

Grapes, apples, packed in a disposable lays potato chip container.
Bananas.

Mini boxes of cereal.

Oatmeal packages.

Fruit cups--mandarin oranges .

Box of special cookies.

**Shoe boxes are good to pack food in.**

Hugs Mel

Last edited:

We will be flying Southwest for our Disney trip and want to designate one suitcase/duffel bag for food for the week. I'm wondering what would be good to pack. Probably staying at a value so I'm not cooking dinner or anything like that. We like to eat breakfast in the room. And we need snacks for me, dh and 2 kids 5 and 2.5.
I've brought bagels or English muffins and a jar of jelly. The bread went in a rigid plastic container and the jelly was wrapped tightly in a wash cloth and then a ziploc bag in case it broke. I used to pack goldfish crackers (the big milk carton box) and a few plastic snack cups for taking small portions into the park. Pringles travel well, pretzels sticks in the individual boxes, boxes of Teddy Grahams have all made it in one piece when packed in checked luggage.

Any of the "to go" cups of cookies or crackers will travel fine but I prefer to go with the more affordable boxes and then portioning them out into snack cups for each park visit.

Beef jerky, granola, nuts, Chex mix, GoPicnic snack boxes all worked good for us in the past. I recently bought some individual spreads on Amazon (olive tampanade, bruschetta and humus) that I plan to take next time and now I'm looking for packages of pita crackers to go with them.

You can pretty much pack anything as long as it will survive changes in air pressure and will not cause a huge mess in the event that its container breaks open.

Oh, and don't over pack! Southwest has a weight limit of 50 lbs. You could easily surpass that weight and still have room in a bag if you're adding things that have a high water content.

On our last trip, (DH, DS12 and me) I packed snacks for in the room/breakfast: peanut butter crackers, granola bars, pop tarts, a can of pringles, a big bag of twizzlers, some applesauce pouches, pretzel sticks in the individual little boxes, cracker jacks, lemonade and ice tea packs to use in a bottled water.

Some other ideas that might work: individual boxes of cereal, crackers, bagels and a jar of peanut butter (pack in a tupperware container so the bagels don't get squished), rice krisipie treats, the individual fruit cups (pack in double ziploc bags, just in case).

I'm planning to do this as well, and order perishables from garden grocer too. Great tips everyone!

We came back from a trip in May and a couple at POR said they had diapers and wipes sent from Amazon since they were coming from NJ and didn't want to pack.

Oatmeal, nutrigrain bars, bagels, single serving cereal boxes. Basically anything I could toss the packages of right after use.

Don't over buy! You don't want to have to haul it all home too.

Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping little one will be almost potty trained by then so we won't need to pack too many diapers. (She'll be close to 3.) I did order diapers from Target our first trip but they got lost in Disney's delivery center for a day. A nice supervisor in Mouse keeping bought us a huge box until our order showed up.

We have packed food before with no problem. I bought "Tupperware" containers from Dollar Tree to smushable things in.

I always bring English muffins, peanut butter, hard green pears , a few apples, tangerines, pretzels , nutella, also one or two of the tuna/chicken salad snack boxes from the dollar tree or aldi.
I freeze ham, thick cut lunchmeat type, and freeze cheese sticks. They travel well.
I just don't care for the breakfast offerings at POP Century, so I happily toast my English muffin and have a little ham and pear while my husband loads up on the breakfast offerings.

Such an awesome thread! I couldn't think of anything past little cereal boxes and bagels, so I'm excited to see all the options!

I packed a duffle of food for our trip. We just returned late last night. This is what I found everyone maybe different

Good:
I would do the following again
Grips cheez it and keebler chocolate chip cookies.
Apple sauce in the packages you twist off the top
Raisins
Crasins
Mini boxes of cereal
Mini bags of chips
Fruit snacks

Not so good
Water bottles to fill (many fountains either did not work or barely worked so you had to struggle to fill most times you could only add about 8 oz of water)
Yogurt covered raisins
Fig newtons
M and M's (they may not melt in your hands but they do melt in the heat)

Wish I did
Have water delivered!!!!!! When I had a case of water we drank more and I had the flavorings to add. Yes, you can get water at counter service. I did this often but you need to wait in line and it becomes long at times. When we did order food, I would order a cup of ice water and a cup of ice. Within 10 min, the ice was melted
Pack less food. I would plan on less food or plan on how many snacks ect per person per day. We left a good lot in the room when we checked out. Not sure what happens to the food.

I have now tried both taking my food and bringing my food. To be honest, grocery delivery will most likely be my go to method in the future. It might cost slightly more but the options would be better for DD. ie yogurt, fruit ect.

Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping little one will be almost potty trained by then so we won't need to pack too many diapers. (She'll be close to 3.) I did order diapers from Target our first trip but they got lost in Disney's delivery center for a day. A nice supervisor in Mouse keeping bought us a huge box until our order showed up.[/QUOTE

You may want to consider pull-ups for a newly potty trained child at Disney World even if you don't use them at home. Sometimes the bathroom is not right there or there is a line when little ones suddenly realize they need to go. (And sometimes even though they just went twenty minutes before getting on a ride and have been potty trained for three years, they may suddenly need to go again say, in the middle of the Universe of Energy, and can't hold it and pee on your DH as you can't get off the ride for another twenty minutes!) Just a thought. We will be bringing pull-ups for our 4yr old who has been potty trained for a year as he still has occasional accidents and I don't want to risk it when a bathroom is not always quickly accessible. And DH does not want to be peed on again, lol!

I plan on doing the same for our DL trip. We will have a rental car but I rather still try and pack a few things from home

Just please don't bring your slow cooker. We were once at wilderness lodge and our room stunk like sour kraut. Come to find out the room next to us left a slow cooker on all day from 6am. We checked in at 3. Cleaning people removed the slow cooker and they had to air out our room.

What I do is make extra of a few things before our trip and freeze them. Meatballs,cheese, lunch meat, sasuage , chicken strips etc. I use these foods frozen as ice packs for other foods I take. Cottage cheese , yogurt, organic fruit, veggies. I do use a large rolling cooler though. The food court has a microwave.

I am doing this in January actually. I will be packing things like cream cheese for the bagels and cheese sticks for a snack for me in those insulated lunch bags with a small ice pack to keep things fresh. Other than that I plan on bringing small cereal boxes, oatmeal packets, bagels (hard container), a box of wine for me after hours, jerky and pop tarts. I will also have a brand new but cheap toaster in there (that will be unplugged and stowed before I ever leave the room) to toast the bagels (this one is a maybe, not sure if its worth the hassle really). I will have Amazon Pantry deliver me some water and soda to the resort (I am a prime member) and I will buy a small thing of milk from the resort gift shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter