• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions on Things To Do for a veteran...

superdiz

Unofficial Disney Foodie - MOO
We met in Disney, had the Disney wedding, have gone yearly since 1999 but I can't shake that feeling that we're missing something obvious! Share with me some of the fun, under the radar, things you enjoy doing at Disney. If they are fit for an almost 2 year old that helps too! :)

well, this will be a different trip with your 2 yr old. we took our dd for the first time when she was 2 and she is about to be 12 and has been to wdw 25 times. she loves it just as much and dh and i, thank god!! i would do some of the character meals, our dd loved the characters and you get the best photos and don't forget that autograph book. i think the kids really enjoy the disney kid show @ HS. we did a lot of character meet/greets. our dd didn't LOVE the princess she liked original gang especially pluto. do the art class @ HS and keep doing it every year.
-at AK ride the train to the back of the park and they have a petting zoo.
-at the world showcase do either the passport around the world or the mask activity.
-we love taking the boat taxi's everywhere
-start your 2yr the trading pins and do one for their 1st ride, etc.
-do the photpass calendars for a great souvenir and personalize your own calendar
-if you don't dine @ t-rex just walk in there and let them get a build a dino, and they can dig for fossils.
-try to find divine @ AK
our trips are different every trip! there's so much to see and do!

Here are some additional things we have done as veterns with our son who is now 5, but some of the activites we did when he was almost 2 & 3...

2 Hr Fishing Excurstion - DS was 3 when we went. We took from YC. Did 10am tour and did some fishing in WS before it opened. Captain takes care of everything with fishing poles, etc. Lots of bass. It's catch and release. DS caught first fish! After about 2 or 3 fishes DS got a bit tired of it but had fun playing with ice in provided cooler of drinks and enjoying the boat ride around WS. DH had lots of fun fishing. There's a 20% off coupon in Birbaum book.

Illuminations Cruise: Did this when DS was almost 2. He enjoyed watching fireworks close up. DH surprised me with cruise for anniversary and had a banner and balloons. DS had great time playing with balloons in room after tour.

Have you eaten at WC in WL? DS loved it when he was around 2 /3 because it was noisy and he could yell out loud with everyone when they called for "ketchup!"

DS LOVES the play area in Dinoland. He can spend all day there. When he was younger he enjoyed the smaller slides. I have cute video of him and this little girl sliding together - over and over and over. He also likes playing the carnival games.

Penny pressing and photo booths are also other thing DS enjoys at Disney.

Also if you go in the back way of the animation attraction at DHS (through the Animation store) there's an area with interactive things for kids. One of them are those computer screens where you can color in pictures by just touching a color then touching the picture. DS enjoys playing with those. And when he was young (2 - 3) he had some "magical" encounters with Soccerer's Apprentice Mickey in that area.

What is this?

A performance artist dressed like a tree.

divine.jpg

Pretty sure that scared me last time! Not sure it's < 2 friendly. Or maybe I'm just a wimp. :thumbsup2

Head over the fort and do some "not disney" disney things. We always plan on getting over there and never seem to!

If you go on the Art of Animation tour they teach you how to draw a Disney character at the end. It's fun!

What is the art class? Sounds like something I would love for my kids!

Thanks!

the class is great! It's in the Art of Animation building (I think that's what it's called) - generally you can meet Sorceror Mickey in there. The class is on the top (don't go down the stairs) over near the exit. It takes place every 30 minutes starting at 9:30 am. The earlier classes are less busy but it's very popular.

You draw a character in each class. Sometimes the instructor will take a vote other times they'll just tell you who you are drawing. It's a lot of fun.

Good Morning Dewdrop said:
the class is great! It's in the Art of Animation building (I think that's what it's called) - generally you can meet Sorceror Mickey in there. The class is on the top (don't go down the stairs) over near the exit. It takes place every 30 minutes starting at 9:30 am. The earlier classes are less busy but it's very popular.

You draw a character in each class. Sometimes the instructor will take a vote other times they'll just tell you who you are drawing. It's a lot of fun.

This class was so much fun!! We did it a week ago & got to draw Woody. DH didn't want to do it at first, but he loved it. It's now on our 'must do' list.

Tom Sawyer's Island seems to be one of those things alot of people skip/avoid becasue it isn't new or flashy but my kids LOVED exploring it when they were 3-8...2 might be a bit young, but depends on the child I suppose

We met in Disney, had the Disney wedding, have gone yearly since 1999 but I can't shake that feeling that we're missing something obvious! Share with me some of the fun, under the radar, things you enjoy doing at Disney. If they are fit for an almost 2 year old that helps too! :)

The Kidcot stations at Epcot. Even at two, he/she would be able to do the mask or you could purchase the Passport the Cast Members can stamp. And while doing this, you could sample the entertainment Epcot has to offer (not while you leave the 2 year old at the stations but before or after). You may or may not like some things but at least you won't have to stay if you don't want - all the entertainment is to walk up, see it and walk away.

Rafiki's Planet Watch at Animal Kingdom is often overlooked but it is a wonderful place for kids to see different exhibits. I think the petting area is still open here (someone correct me if I'm wrong and it's down again).

And as much as *I* don't like it, you can do Lights, Motors, Action at the Studios. I think a 2 year old would love the Lightening McQueen stuff (if he/she has seen Cars).

Flights of Wonder

Miyuki the Candy Lady at Epcot

Rafiki's Planet Watch/Conservation Station - Watch a veterinary procedure and watch the little live animal prese tation by the petting farm

Off Kilter

Rent a Sea Raycer

Resort-hop (I've always wanted to see AKL)

Afternoon tea at Grand Floridian

Is this like a class you need to sign up for? Or just wait in line kind of thing?

Is this like a class you need to sign up for? Or just wait in line kind of thing?

Just show up & get in line/have a seat. It's a continuous program that goes until just before park close.

They take about 20-25 "artists" at a time. Guests who are not drawing get to sit on the bench behind them to watch.

It's been a long time since my boys were 2 but I do suggest slowing things down & taking your cues from them. If they want to hang out in a "splash zone" or kids play area for an hour, so be it.

We are not artists but that class is probably my favorite hidden gem. It's tucked away and even after knowing about it, it took a couple of trips to make our way back there.

Spending a lot of time in the parks last year, we found particular joy in a few things. One was a goal to do all of the attractions... We didn't quite make it, but we came very close. We saw a lot of less popular things, a few of which we loved! Secondly, we tried new TSes. We had never been big TS eaters but DDP introduced us and allergies kept us coming back. We found we loved some of the highly recommended ones (LC,) but honestly we also love some you rarely hear about (Plaza, GFC and LTT lunch.) Lastly, we spent some time discovering less-traveled areas - quiet corners of the park to regroup and lots of "secret passageways," or roads less traveled, from A to B. Things that may have cost us a few steps but saved a lot of time - or things like passing up a 20 minute line for the bathroom because we know the one just around the corner will have empty stalls.

I've learned a lot from the DIS but I've learned even more just by *being* in the park and heading off the beaten path. If you see something that you're curious about, stop and check it out: if it doesn't have a "Cast Member Only" sign, then it is there for you, and just because no one else is there doesn't mean it's not worth your time!

These are the things that make us return to WDW; it's not the 210 minute line for Soarin' but sitting next door watching the manatees in solitude - during the busiest week of the year. Kinda creepy, but mostly cool, to be somewhere with THAT MANY people, yet be functionally alone. All from the road less traveled.

(And lest you misunderstand - we did plenty of Soarin' laps, too - just not at the expense of a 3hr line!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter