• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions on booking 3 rooms for our family of 9

dbal

Mouseketeer
Our family is looking to book the week after New Years. It will be myself, dh, dd 19 and dd 16 in one room; dd and her dh in another room and dd, husband and grand baby (20 months) in another room. I considered a suite or villa, but I think we could use a little space and private time as needed. Dh and I love BC and would love to book there but Im not sure if I can justify the cost. We looked into AOA - but I'm thinking the 4 of us in a regular room would be very cramped as well as storage and closets. Also looked into 4 of us in a suite there and other 2 in standard little mermaid rooms. - the cost is not that far off from the BC which just makes me more frustrated .
I also considered the Poly because it's on the monorail and I thought this might make transportation easier for the groups to take breaks, ph, etc.... But again-- there's the price... any suggestions would be appreciated! I also read that buying an AP only for the room discount wouldn't be wise. Would buying 1 for booking 3 rooms make it a more reasonable option? TIA

Since you're getting 3 rooms and there's 9 of you, it might be cheaper to get the AP for the room discount (and you also get dining/merchandise discounts). Please note that Disney gives AP discounts about 3-4 months out, though. Some other resort options would be to get 2 Cabins at Ft. Wilderness instead of 3 rooms or 3 rooms at a Moderate resort (which are great too!). The Wilderness atmosphere is not for everybody, but it has worked out for us in the past with a big group. There are also DVC Rentals that you can rent Studios and 1 and 2 BR Villas.

Disney also offers special offers to the general public about 4-6 months before; these discounts range from 15-30%. If you're a FL Resident, you also qualify for room discounts as well.

In terms of buying an AP, you would have to the math and see if it's cheaper for you. Since you're looking to stay on site, the free parking wouldn't do much for you since Disney Resort Guests receive free parking anyways. When doing the math, take into account the dining and merchandise discounts as well (ranges from 10-20%). At the Deluxe resorts, they get the biggest percentage, which is usually up to 30% off with the AP rate.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I agree with you. I think, with your family, some space and privacy are important.
I think regular room at AoA is too small for 4 of you.
Have you priced out-researched a DVC Villa rental?

I think 3 rooms is the way to go. I would not even request connecting, just the same building and maybe the same floor. I would look into POFQ--the boat to DS, the splash pad for the little one, a smaller foot print and interesting choices at the food court.

We were there 12/31-1/5 a couple of years ago for my 40th birthday, and it was still considered high season at the resorts - very expensive. January is low season for DVC points, and I was able to get a studio at OKW for $500 less than I could have paid at a Moderate. You might check into renting points - either at BCV or another resort. You could probably do a 1-bedroom for your family group, and studios for the other two family groups. At least price it out, and see what the comparison is. The kitchenette might be nice for the family with the baby.

Otherwise, I'd opt for a Moderate. The rooms at the values are pretty small for 4 people, and the double beds are a deal-breaker for my family.

If you are interested in staying at a monorail resort, consider pricing out a garden wing room at CR which are typically the cheapest on the monorail. You'll get big rooms and the ability to walk back and forth to MK. You might also want to consider WL which will get you close to MK at a lower cost.

If you can afford deluxe, I wouldn't consider AoA. But you may want to consider POR or POFQ. Both lovely resorts with boat access to DS and far more comfortable than AoA.

In terms of the AP, I would probably book what you want now, keep an eye on general discounts and when AP discounts are released call in to inquire on prices. If the AP discount is good, I would make the decision to purchase the AP then.

Also check the resort discount thread in these boards to see what others are doing for discounts during your travel period.

If you are trying to book dates including Jan 4-8, you are too late for any DVC rentals. They are pretty much booked up for the marathon.

Thank you for the replies! I was trying to fit it in between Marathon weekend and MLK weekend. Possibly arriving on Sunday the 7th and leaving Saturday the 13th. We are still playing around with days... still trying to figure out if an AP would be worth it to get on the 3 rooms. I usually can get a discount on our rooms, but I have never been this time of year before... not sure if a discount will be offered. And I don't want to get an AP unless I can get the room discount. I need to start doing some research on the APs! :confused3

Also wanted to add... we have stayed at POFQ, but not PO. For those who have done both, what are your preferences?

It looks like, if you don't already have an AP, a new purchase does not include the room discount.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/

You wouldn't be able to apply the discount as you arrive. But you can buy an AP in advance and book the discount. It used to be that you had 24 hours to produce the AP, but with the advent of MDE, I imagine as long as they see it in your profile there's no issue.

You wouldn't be able to apply the discount as you arrive. But you can buy an AP in advance and book the discount. It used to be that you had 24 hours to produce the AP, but with the advent of MDE, I imagine as long as they see it in your profile there's no issue.
What I'm saying is, there is no longer a room discount for Annual Pass holders. We don't have an AP. If we were to buy one today, there is no room discount.

What I'm saying is, there is no longer a room discount for Annual Pass holders. We don't have an AP. If we were to buy one today, there is no room discount.

They still do AP room discounts. My nephew and his wife have APs and just got AP rates for a Labor Day weekend stay. Like any discount, they are always subject to availability, are not available at all times, at all resorts, and can and do book up. They've had APs all year and have gotten AP rates several times.

Enjoy a year of magic as a Walt Disney World Passholder and get discounts on dining, merchandise, recreation and tours —plus valuable offers for stays at Disney Resort hotels and special Passholder communications.

Also wanted to add... we have stayed at POFQ, but not PO. For those who have done both, what are your preferences?
I prefer POFQ because of the small size of the resort. Everything is very convenient. I also like the idea about CR garden wing. Also request quotes from Disney specific TAs as early 2018 discounts are available.

Have you checked with some TA? I know that one in particular was able to get some great rates for around Labor Day. The deals were as good or better than Free Dining.

Again thanks for the replies....I have never used a TA before for trip planning, but I'm open to it considering our group size. I would appreciate any suggestions to message me if they aren't allowed to share here.

My family is traveling as a group of 9 with 3 rooms in August. We opted for 3 rooms at POR and added requests for rooms near each other. It was a good price point for all of us. POFQ is another good option because if they can't get you rooms near each other for some reason, the furthest point there is a 5 minute walk.

I would do 3 rooms at a moderate. We love POR and CBR. Never stayed at FQ, didn't care for CSR.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter