suggestions for tv in the car

zaja4

Earning My Ears
We have a 20 hour drive with 3 kids. We used to use a tv with built in vcr, that we would prop up on a cooler, it did not have any strapping. We decided in the event of an accident, this does not sound safe. I saw a strapping system at Target, but it seems that it is just to lift the tv up, it does not look like it would really keep it in the holder in an accident. The built ins are nice, but so expensive for a 6 year old car. The new smaller, flip up screens come with bags that look like they would keep it in better. Does anyone know if these are much safer, or if there is a safe way to secure the tv I already have. Also if anyone knows the cheapest place to buy one. Thanks

I saw a tv/vcr combo at Walmart for 144.00. I thought,wow that's a great price. It said it can be used in car,home,rv,etc. I told my husband and he said he could build something that it would mount to. He's pretty nifty. The portable tv/vcr combos are nice,especially the ones in a bag. They are expensive and the screens are only like 5". I just think that is too small. We thought about buying the screen that straps on to the back of the seat,but then only one child can actually see the screen good. If you decide to go with combo that you already have,let me know how you mount it or strap it down,so it will be safe. :)

We have the 9" TV/VCR with the bag from Target and have used it on several long trips including our last trip to Disney last Dec. We also have 3 kids so the smaller screens are not an option unless we choose to buy each their own screen (very expensive). I have to say that I am not a safety expert but I am very safety conscious and the bag seems very secure. The opening in the front of the bag is not big enough for the TV to fit through and the TV itself is secured to the bag. In additon the bag is secured to the two front seate by 4 straps. When these straps are tightened the TV does not move. The armrests for the front seats in our van do not allow the bag to "hang" so the bag sits on the armrests and we found it beneficial to "prop" the front of the TV level with a sturdy box.

I suppose with enough force it is possible for the TV to break free but then again every situation is different and it is impossible to predict what would actually happen. I would say bring the one home from Target, try it in your car and decide if you think it is secure enough. You can always return it if you are unsure.

I have many people try to secure it themselves in the car. It doesn't take much force to dislodge your TV. So look around and find a good safe system to restrain your TV.

Even at a low speed crash there is a lot of damage and crash forces so don't prop the tv up with something. I once had someone say they used a phone book under their babies car seat. Do you know how they would feel if it would dislodge and hurt someone?

I would do a little research about the bags and find the one that securely holds your TV.

We have the bag from Target too. It works great. I'm a bit of a safety nut too, and I don't have any reservations about using the bag. I think the only way it would become dislodged is in a roll over accident, but if that happened, the TV would probably be the least of our worries.

We did buy that Walmart $144 TV/VCR combo. I dont know about the bag at Target, I got mine on EBAY for $25. It holds the tv between the front seats and rests on my center console. It is alot nicer than I had thought when I bought it, very sturdy and well made. Good luck!

GF- Sago Cay-Lagoon View 11/00
POR-10/03

Wishing everyone a "magical" day!:wave:

Did yall purchase the bag online from Target or in the store? Tinkerbelle739,do you like the combo,does it work ok?:D

I got the bag in the store when Target was running a special. Buy the 9" TV/VCR combo for $179 and get the bag free. Now I wish I could find the same kind of set up for a portable DVD Player. They have come down so far in price and it would be less bulky between the seats.

We purchased ours in the store.

Kylie&Haleysmom: The combo works great. Picture is clear and color is good. The 9" screen is perfect for both kids to see everything.

For those of you who bought the bag from Target, how much did you pay for yours?

We used the tv/vcr combo for about four years in our suburban. My DH had put together a system to hold it in place between the 2 front seats. Having four kids someone was always complaining about not being able to see the screen very well and it took up way to much room. Last year we bought the dvd in a bag. The screen is small so this year we bought a second screen. It works GREAT. Each kid has a set of head phones they plug in. We can listen to the radio or c/ds and all we hear are giggles from the kids. Makes the extra money spent on the dvd system well worth it. We still have the tv/vcr combo for back up. I don't think we would ever take a trip more than 3 hours long with out a tv system.

I saw a post about this on a car seat safety site and now I'm straining my brain trying to remember the details (of course I didn't mark the page). Back in my school days, I seem to remember from Physics that force = mass x acceleration. Basically, if you have a 10# tv/dvd combo and are traveling 60 mph on the freeway (like I ever only drive 60) then the straps would need to withstand 600#s of force. I would think you would need to have the bag reinforced somehow so that the straps would break at 600# Maybe bungee cords?? Because I've become such a car safety nut, we splurged and had the screen mounted to the ceiling of the car (much more secure).

This is the reason I opted for a car rather than the van I was originally hoping for. All the cargo in the back should be secured with a cargo net or bungee cords. I know that I could never find the time to do that! However, I do find my laptop in the frontseat with me all the time. Usually when my daughter is NOT in the car. Apparently, I'm too lazy to put it in the trunk and instead think I'll be "really careful" when driving. Oh well, in a perfect world there would be a way to secure everything quickly and easily, child seats would pop out at the touch of a button and be easy to use and correctly installed, oh and cruise control would mean the car will drive itself!! Well, maybe for my great, great, great grandkids. Sorry for my mini vent, I'm five months pregnant and apparently my hormones are manifesting themselves again!

Good luck,
Jennifer:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Lisa3
I got the bag in the store when Target was running a special. Buy the 9" TV/VCR combo for $179 and get the bag free. Now I wish I could find the same kind of set up for a portable DVD Player. They have come down so far in price and it would be less bulky between the seats.

Lisa: Did you buy this recently? What brand is the TV/VCR?

The TV/VCR we got from Target is a Sansui. I was very skeptical about this since I usually stick with name brands (personally everything else in my house is a Sony). I was pleasantly surprised. The picture is fabulous and it works great in my kitchen and in the car. Last Oct. we couldn't decide what we wanted to do for our Dec. trip - TV/VCR, portable DVD or go with a built in. We really didn't want to "break the bank" so when Target put this on sale and included the car bag free about two weeks before our trip, I knew it was meant to be.

Originally posted by Lisa3
The TV/VCR we got from Target is a Sansui. I was very skeptical about this since I usually stick with name brands (personally everything else in my house is a Sony). I was pleasantly surprised. The picture is fabulous and it works great in my kitchen and in the car. Last Oct. we couldn't decide what we wanted to do for our Dec. trip - TV/VCR, portable DVD or go with a built in. We really didn't want to "break the bank" so when Target put this on sale and included the car bag free about two weeks before our trip, I knew it was meant to be.

when i was a kid and they got the first big tv screenb at yankee stadium it was a sansui. I rememebr like every inning they played a commmercial with this song "sansui, sansui, its the blah blah balh..."

So if its good enough for george steinbrenner who would fire his own mother must be pretty decent!

:D

I went to TargetFriday night and looked at the tvs and the bags. The cheapest tv was a Daewoo for 179.00 and the bag was 39.99. I think we are going to get the tv/vcr Emerson combo at Walmart for 149.00 and the bag at Target. I just hope it all works and the combo will fit in that bag. ;)

I got that same sansui tv from target on clearance for $79.00 about 6 weeks ago! No bag though..... it does work very well- great clear , clean picture. Gotta get the bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter