• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for three year old?

RosieQ

Earning My Ears
I have a three year old little boy who doesn't have a hard time sitting still. I wonder if I should bring him something to do on the plane or will being on the plane be fun enough? I am trying to keep the amount of stuff I bring down to a minimum. I am bringing snacks and drinks for sure. Any idea's on something small that would amuse him? Also Does the airline give out some sort of kids pack to children?

Bring something to do! Being on the plane is not enough to keep a child's interest in my experience. As soon as the thrill of take-off wears off they are looking for other things. I bring those little travel sized games, cheap toys from the dollar store, books and snacks. A gameboy or other handheld electronic game is great as is a cassette or cd player. My kids help pack a small backpack with these items which they will carry themselves. I even put their swimsuits and an extra pair of clothes in the very bottom of the backpack in case our luggage gets delayed. At a young age keeping some of the items a suprise may be helpful too. We have never received anything from the airlines except the pilot wings and maybe the pilots business card.You can order a kids meal but my kids have never liked them.

[This message was edited by mar3990 on 04-05-01 at 04:20 PM.]

i havent tried this yet, we leave in two weeks, but i can tell you what i have packed for my 3 yr old...snacks of course, but i am bring 1 regular child book, 2 books on cd (so i can read my own) a miniture magnadoodle that she loves, (but i have hidden it for the last month and a half so it seems new) and crayola magic wonder markers,that will only write on the special paper. i figure the markers i will have to really help her with so she doesnt drop them all over. but hopefully this will keep her satisfied. hope this helps. i also saw in a store, i think wal-mart, a mini etch-a-sketch, bigger than the key chains..

Julie

Flying, once you takeoff, is like being in a car for a 3 year old. Looking out the window is entertaining for a while but if it's cloudy or dark-forget it. Our DSs, ages 3 and 5, bring child sized backpacks with cassette player and music and story tapes, paper, crayons, stickers, children's books and magazines, mini-magna doodle, mini-etch-a-sketch, matchbox cars, a small beanie baby or stuffed animal, and other inexpensive small toys I can find at a dollar store or Walmart type store. I also bring drinks and snacks. I pack each boy's backpack so that they are capable of carrying it (in other words, not too heavy). If your flight is long enough for a meal to be served, call your airline and order a kids' meal. The kids' meals are usually much more appetizing than the adult meal, especially to a 3 year old. I don't know of any airline that provides kids' packs. Usually, your child is lucky if he receives a flight pin from the flight attendants or pilots. Some airlines' kids' meals come with a placemat to color and/or a Happy Meal type toy. Happy flying! Pamela

Hungry hippo travel game (pieces don't come off the board)
Magna doodle
dollar store items
play dough (my 2 yr old loved it - we just brought a placemat to use on the tray)
oreo cookie game (very small and easy to pack)

These are just a few items I found entertaining for my 2 yr old. We just put them in her small Elmo suitcase that she could take on the plane. Also help entertain her while we were in the room at the hotel getting ready in the morning or late at night.

Don't let him see the items before the trip and take them out one at a time. Try wrapping them to be like a surprise. Try to save a few (pack in your suitcase) for the trip home. Also, pick up some cheap fun items from disney store as a surprise on the way home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter