Suggestions for Plan of Attack for IOA in one day

billnye97

Jedi in Training
Hi everyone,

New to the boards and I of course had a question regarding the WWoHP. My wife and I are staying at the Econolodge but have early entry since I booked through Universal's website. I am traveling with my wife with no kids. I had planned on getting to IOA around 7 an hour before the early access is granted. Is there any special gate that I have to go to get in early? Also once we are in we were planning on going right to the Harry Potter section. It is here that I have questions. I've been reading that Olivanders is a huge wait so should we hit that before going to the Forbidden Journey? Or is it better to do the Forbidden Journey first then Olivanders? Also do the rides start at 8am for the early access people or is it just to get in line?

Any info is much appreciated and many thanks ahead of time.

Welcome to the forums.

When you arrive at the resort, you will cross the bridge to IOA and just to the left of the ticketing windows is where hotel guests are allowed into the park early (valid ID and fingerprint required). However, if you're staying offsite, then there may be another entrance for you, slightly beyond the ticket office but ultimately only a stone's throw away from the hotel guests are lining up. I am sure someone will clarify this for you.

Once inside Port of Entry, you will want to get to WWoHP very quickly. Take the route through Seuss Landing (the opposite side to the Hulk coaster that you will notice ;)) and follow through Lost Continent until you see the Hogsmeade sign and the Hogswart Express.

At 8am of thereabouts, I believe everything in WWoHP is open for business. In fact, summer 2010, this area of the park opened at 7am especially for Virgin Holidays customers from the UK who were able to enjoy an exclusive breakfast at The Three Broomsticks as part of their vacation package (whether this is still on offer in 2011 I don't know). So by the time you arrive at WWoHP at 8am, you won't actually be the first people there, although it will still be virtually empty, if you know what I mean.

As far as I am remembering, Ollivander's should be open at some point in the 'extra hour', although I highly doubt the first show is right at 8am on the dot. Again, somebody who has been more recently than me will give you a better indication. My advice to certainly queue for Ollivander's as long as you know what the show entails. A lot of people have suggested that it is not worth the wait, especially without kids, but personally I don't think a trip to WWoHP is complete without seeing it, however basic it is. Please remember though that wands can be purchased without having to queue for the show (although nowadays I hear queues are commonplace to even get into the shops).

At any stage of the day before 10am, Forbidden Journey will be fine to ride. You don't even necessarily have to join the queue in the 'extra hour'. Do Ollivander's and look in the shops (but don't buy anything yet *** you can't take it on Forbidden Journey) while you can still 'swing a cat' as the phrase goes. The shops are tiny, and can comfortably fit only around a dozen people at once. When you learn that 4 times that amount are cramped inside at any one time, plus a 30 minute queue outside each shop commanded by security and cast members, then you get an idea of how important it is to that kind of thing in your early morning foray, rather than leave it until everyone is in the park.

I would say that 11am is around the time that Forbidden Journey starts to get busy, as would be case with any other major attraction in a Florida park. It will stay noticeably busy until after dinnertime, then it will quieten down again (as will the whole of WWoHP). Please be advised that the queue line for Forbidden Journey can hold around 7hrs worth of a queue, although rarely has this ever been fully utilised. But my point is, do the castle tour AND the ride on your first occasion, then on any further rides, just utilise the Single Rider queue, which skips the whole castle queue zone (especially the hot and sticky greenhouse section) and goes straight to the Gryffindor Common Room. You will not have to wait any more than 20 minutes at any stage of the day (onsite guests or offsite guests) if you use the Single Rider Queue. But you may be split up from your partner, if that kind of thing matters to you. Do it together once, get the photo, then just go round and around via Single Rider queue. That's what most people would advise.

This board is an unbelievable treasure trove of great information. Harry Potter, you gave a terrific response that answered numerous questions I had so thank you! I will report back on crowds and strategies next week.

Wow,

Thank you for such a detailed response. :) You cleared up a great many things for me seeing that my wife and I will only be there one day (Sunday). We had to make the trip and I'm looking at graduate schools in Florida so Sunday was the only day to do an amusement park. With your planning we should be able to maximize the time there. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No problem at all! Glad you found some of it useful.

I had hoped somebody else would contribute to clarify a few things, but not to be.

Have fun!

My wife and I did IOA last Saturday with the Express pass, and conquered it. We even had time to go over to US for a bit and ride several rides there as well.

since it will be two adults, use the single ride line for FJ.

saying, you can't talk to the person next to you on this ride........

do that if you get stuck where the line wait is tremendous.

olivanders is cute but not cute enough to wait over an hour for.
do that shop first then go to FJ.

be sure to be at the front gate early.
guests that have the package, onsite or off, do get in early.

you will wait at another section by the TM's once inside the park before entering parry hotter land.

i have been reading the
Sundays have been less crowded than
Saturdays the past month.

Great information from our fellow DISers. Was wondering if someone could take us further. Meaning, we do FJ and Dragons immediately, then what? We have DD7 & DD9 with us. Is it best to hit Marvel then? Jurassic? Seuss? Any info is appreciated and cherished. :)

We will be in Florida May 21-28 and plan to hit WDW 2 days and IOA 1 day. We will be doing the park visits any day between Sunday-Friday of that week. Any suggestion on which day of the week to visit IOA in late May? I've just started reading the threads about IOA and HP area and...WOW. Is the entire park at busy at HP Area or just this portion of the park?

Since we are staying in our timeshare, any suggestions on what time to arrive at the park since we won't be getting early access? About what time a day do the crowds reduce? I guess I should ask....what are the park hours during this time period we will be visiting? Is there a site I can visit with this information?

Thanks in advance

Great information from our fellow DISers. Was wondering if someone could take us further. Meaning, we do FJ and Dragons immediately, then what? We have DD7 & DD9 with us. Is it best to hit Marvel then? Jurassic? Seuss? Any info is appreciated and cherished. :)

if you have the perk of entering the hour early before the general public,
go to potterland first.
hit FJ, do the shops, take the pictures, use the restroom to hear myrtle moan.
then go on to Dragons.

if you are interested at all in doing the wand presentation show at olivanders, do that before FJ.

spend the extra early hour in potterfield then move to marvel land prior to the 9:00 opening at the gate.

you will have accomplished the back section of harry, and will have a head start on marvel for doom, hulk, spidey, etc.

then head over to seussland.

if JP is a priority for your children, go there before marvel.
the park will already be opened by the time you hit marvel though if you make it there after park opening.

you will have many people that once they enter the park between 9 to 10:00, will go to the back for parry hotter section.

you will be avoiding much of the lines up front then.

i love seussland.
the waits there are not an issue for me.
it's such an unique place!

try to avoid saturdays.
it is crowded.......

We will be in Florida May 21-28 and plan to hit WDW 2 days and IOA 1 day. We will be doing the park visits any day between Sunday-Friday of that week. Any suggestion on which day of the week to visit IOA in late May? I've just started reading the threads about IOA and HP area and...WOW. Is the entire park at busy at HP Area or just this portion of the park?

Since we are staying in our timeshare, any suggestions on what time to arrive at the park since we won't be getting early access? About what time a day do the crowds reduce? I guess I should ask....what are the park hours during this time period we will be visiting? Is there a site I can visit with this information?

Thanks in advance
I would try to stick to weekdays for WWoHP...maybe Tuesday/Wednesday. The entire park could be busy but you'll find the majority of people trying to get into WWoHP at IOA.

Here's the link to the park hours:

http://www.universalorlando.com/Resort_Information/theme_park_hours.aspx

You should probably arrive no later than 7:30am or so to get in line. You should have a pretty good chance of getting to see WWoHP if you're that early.

since it will be two adults, use the single ride line for FJ.

saying, you can't talk to the person next to you on this ride........

do that if you get stuck where the line wait is tremendous.

olivanders is cute but not cute enough to wait over an hour for.
do that shop first then go to FJ.

you will wait at another section by the TM's once inside the park before entering parry hotter land.

i have been reading the
Sundays have been less crowded than
Saturdays the past month.

Great tips. Thanks.

If you aren't able to get to Harry Potter early, I'd wait until mid afternoon. When we went last summer, the line for Harry Potter extended half way around the park mid morning (10:00 or so). I'd guess that was about a 2 hour wait. Went back at 3:00 and waited 20 minutes, if that. The line was short enough we went again.

Do HP first things...then head into Jurassic Park, skip toon island (just walk through if you dont want to be wet), super hero island, then suess, then lost continent and back into HP. You have to see Hogwarts in the evening (sharing the pictures I took)...a whole difference experience...also make sure that you take a look in each window in Hogsmeade (each has something special and fun)...if you eat at 3 Broomsticks watch for shadows on the walls!

hphogwartswithentrance.jpg

hphogwartscastlenight.jpg

My HP Plan of attack...
1. Olivanders (enjoy a butter beer while standing in line)
2. Forbidden Journey
3. Hippogriff
4. Shops (stop in Hogs Head and get a frozen butter beer)
5. Dragon Duel
6. Get the heck out of Hogsmeade before the crowds get there late morning...

Thanks for all the great information.

Our visit is still several months away, but I like to read up on how to maximize our time in the parks.

I will be traveling with a 10 and 11 year old.

Not sure if they will be up for DD. The pictures look pretty intimidating. I also don't know if Dramamine will get me through FJ. But from what I have read, I would hate to miss it.

Our kids are big HP fans, so we will have to do that section first thing in the morning. Not sure if we will catch the Olivander's show, but there is no doubt that we will have to get two wands before we leave.

Any additional advice will be very welcomed.

Great thread, asking all the questions I had! We will do IOA this Friday: DH, DD7, DD9, and me. We will have early entry with the hotel package. Think we will do Ollivanders, FJ, Hippogriff, and shops. Will skip DD (DDs not interested). Is it possible to see the sights in the queue without riding on the ride?

We have 10:00 reservations at 3 Broomsticks. Figure by the time that is done, we'll leave WWOHP until evening. We're bypassing the express pass purchase because our DDs aren't interested in the roller coasters. Hope that doesn't bite us in the rear!!

If anyone sees any glaring errors in my plan, please let me know. Thanks!

I've seen this mentioned a number of times. What is the package? We will be staying in WDW and plan to make a one day visit to IOA in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter