• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for non-park day

hsembrick

DIS Veteran
Hoping for a few suggestions for a nonpark day that we have during the middle of our stay. I know the obvious is to hang by the pool (which we will be doing during the afternoon) but I'm trying to find out what everyone else likes to do on your down day. We have thought about doing smores that evening but what should we do that morning?
We have been to Disney several times and have mainly stayed in
the parks. So, what do you
suggestion? We are really open to
anything.TIA
BTW, do you have to make a reservation to do smores? Anyone know the price per person and times?

Mini golf, ride boats to other resorts (the boat from DTD to PORS is nice~ takes you past the tree houses), Boardwalk, and SLEEP!!

I love the little "mouse" boats (they are called something different now) that you can take out on the lakes. We had a ball with those. We've tried several locations but the best is from Wilderness Lodge. Plus we were told the boats there are allowed to go faster than the boats in BC or BWV. Fun!

Hanging at the pool or pool hopping where allowed is wonderful and we also found the Orlando outlets for shopping.

I second the resort touring day combined with downtown Disney. We usually sleep in and head out late morning to DTD. From there we take bus to another resort, usually to Wilderness lodge. We'll look around and if it's time, have lunch. Then we take the boat to the Contemporary, then use the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. At each resort we relax, shop, get drinks and generally be lazy. If we still want to go, we'll take the mono to MK and catch a bus to the BC and eat at one of their restaurants. At the end of the evening we take a leisurely walk around the boardwalk and catch a boat to the Studios where we catch our bus back to our resort. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't. We spend a lot of time in rockers or lounge chairs just soaking up the ambience of each resort. If we don't feel like going back to a park to catch a bus we just take a taxi back to our resort. This day is my DW's favorite of every trip, because she gets to shop at each resort.

If you have a car and are willing to drive - catching a baseball game in St Petersburg is fun. We have done that twice. We go hang out at the beach first, then head over to the game. :)

I have to agree with mini golf. It is a family tradition for us to play mini golf on vacation, but for some reason had never done it at Disney...until last December. It was so much fun! The courses were adorable, and the CMs were so incredibly friendly!

Our off day we spend the morning by the pooland then head to DTD. We let the kids wear their bathing suits so they can play in the fountains. They have a blast. One of us stays with them while the other gets a little alone time to shop.

During our DTD trip we are planning on doing the hot air balloon. Something new for us and reasonably priced.

If the kids had it their way it would be DQ though!

All of the above. Also 1 loop in the front of the monorail plus 1 loop in the front of the TTC to EPCOT loop.Me :goofy: DW :tink: DS :tigger: DD :earsgirl: make that a part of our trip every time.
Mini golf.
Resort hop and maybe grab a QS there.
Shop and eat at DTD.

Non-park day? :confused3 I have an annual pass, so I rarely take a whole day off from the parks!

Things my family likes to do. (Part of our agenda for tomorrow.) Swim, visit DTD, visit resorts, ride the Monorail, drive around the roads of WDW if you have a car. Having a car makes a great difference to explore and if staying at a Monorail serviced resort that is another easy activity. However if the weather is good taking the boats and then the Monorail is a great way to see the different aspects of WDW from unique perspectives.

We try to do something different each year. But our rest day always includes lunch at Beaches and Cream.
Other things we like to do:
Disney Quest
Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian
Shopping at Downtown Disney
Laundry!

If you're talking in the World
-- Resort hoping is great! Check out the resorts and the gift shops.
-- I like to play tennis on the clay courts at the Grand Floridian.
-- The little speed boats to rent are lots of fun. We usually do these at the Polynesian, just because we like the resort.
-- A down day is a great day for a meal at Boma at AKL. I like to go early to walk around the grounds and see the animals.

There is so much to do right in the World, but if you have a car and want to venture out, there are some other really cool down day things to do:
-- Gatorland is a great three hour park (think more old time Florida attraction vs. World Class theme park), but a fun change and great for a few hours.
-- The Titanic attraction on I drive is very interesting and well done. It's a great two hour excursion (perfect diversion for a down day)
-- Sky Venture indoor sky diving is a great choice too. You are in a wind tunnel with an instructor when it's your turn and you actually have more air time than you do with real sky diving. The whole experience takes about an hour.

Like NancyIL, I have an annual pass too... For the last 13 years... and I take plenty of non-park days! Lucky to live close to WDW.. And, all your suggestions are great!!!! I just took my BFF to Gatorland on Saturday for a few hours and she loved it!! :)

My ultimate non-park day would be to do all of the stuff that I never take time to do.

Go parasailing at the Contemporary, catch the campfire at Ft. Wilderness or movies at the All-Sports complex. Hit up DTD or the Boardwalk. Make a run over and tour Celebration. Tour some of the hotels I'll never pay to stay at! Spend the afternoon sipping adult beverages at the pool's bar...

I could go on.

If you are staying at AK, they have tons of resort based activites. I am pretty sure other resorts do as well.

There is a pretty cool boardwalk at the Boardwalk resort

Or you could do a character breakfast ( or lunch)....Lilo & Stitch at the Poly, Chef Mickey at the Contemporary, 1900 Park Fare w/ Mary Poppins and Alcie in Wonderland

Lunch and shopping at Downtown Disney.
Rent a boat at your resort.
A nice nap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter