Suggestions for Mom traveling with 4 y/o and 1 y/o

kris10399

Mouseketeer
I'll be heading down on 10/17..DH will already be at WDW for a conference the week before and will be picking us up at the airport. I've traveled alot by myself but never with just the kids. Could you all give me some suggestions on how to cope with getting thru the airport and thru a flight with 2 young kids.

I've got it set with goodie bag for the 4 y/o to have her (hopefully) pretty occupied for the flight.

thanks

Would it be possible for you to send some of the luggage ahead of time, with your dh, so that you have less to deal with, while traveling alone with the children? Not sure what airline you are flying or if this would incur an extra charge, but it may be worth it to look in to.
Or, do you have someone who can travel to the airport with you, until you get your bags checked in? They could help your get your luggage curbside, or to the ticket counter, so you can concentrate on the kids!
Will you have a stroller with you & Car seats? If possible, put the kids in stroller, and car seats on your back. Then your carry on's in the basket on stroller.
Last time dh & I traveled with our girls, they were 2 1/2 & 8 months... We kept them both in the stroller, pretty much the entire time we were checking in, going through security, etc... It was a bit of a pain to have to pull them out in security line, fold up stroller for x ray, etc... But at least we had piece of mind that they were secure & safe in the stroller, while we were navigating the airport. One less worry, lol. We also put the car seats on our backs.
I think once you are on the plane, you will be fine. Just a matter of keeping them occupied!
Good luck... try not to let it stress you too much!! It may be stressful, but only for a short time, and it will be worth it!

Also, not sure if you have a goodie back for your second dc or not, but if they are big enough, I would try to make another very similar to it for them as well... We are flying again December, and the girls will be almost 4 & 2... I made sure that our youngests bag, has almost the exact same stuff as the older one!! I can picture one of ours having a breakdown b/c they wanted the other ones "pen" or "notebook", lol. So, I got 2 of everything!!
Even though our youngest may be a little small for a few things, I figure we will be right there watching her the whole time, so we can supervise, lol.

thanks for your reply...

I'm already going to send the car seat for DS (1) with DH on his trip down as well as some clothes. We are getting a 1bdrm at OKW so we will have a washer/dryer and don't have to pack as many clothes.

At least the flight is an early Friday morning one so the airport shouldn't be too busy.
Only taking one stroller for the DS and he will be a lap-sitter on the plane. DD is the one that I'm nervous about. She has a very short attention-span when it comes to doing things on the plane. I think I just have to remember to only bring a couple of things for her to do so she plays with them longer. But I have found the portable DVD player which she has been looking for too. Hoping that will save me.

I'm sure things will be just fine, it is just the unknown part of it...have always had DH to help managing the kids during travel.

thanks again.

I have been traveling as the solo adult with my dd's since they were 1 and 3 and it isn't so bad. Just remember how much you do on a day to day basis with the two of them and try and relax.

A sling or snugli for the 1yo will help especially if he/she isn't walking yet. You can't wear baby through security but it will help for just before and after when you have to have the stroller folded.

More info will help, are you bringing a stroller? Single or double? one carseat or two ? etc.

But - making a couple assumptions here is what I would do / did:

I would start out with the 1 yo's carseat in the stroller, backpack underneath and wear the baby and let the 4yo walk. In this case I would seriously consider a "hand holder or leash" just in case although I wouldn't normally use one.

Hopefully whoever is bringing you to the airport can help you check your bags curbside or park and help you in. If not definatly find a sky cap and have some ones handy to tip. I would check the 4yo's carseat through or even better send it ahead with dh to save time trying to install it when you land.

I found a single mid size backpack to be ideal because I could put smaller bags inside to separate each childs things from mine.

To clear security you are going to have to fold the stroller and put it, the carseat, your bags and everyone's shoes through (yes even the baby:) ).

Most aiports now have a "family line" but either way be prepared and stay calm. Have your ID and everyones boarding pass handy prior to arrivng at the checkpoint.

Once you clear security things get much easier, head to the gate and relax. You can purchase snacks and drinks after security to carry on board so you won't have to wait on the FA's if the kids get thirsty or hungry.

Ask at the gate agent to gate check the stroller, they will give you a tag to attach so you can then wheel it to the door of the aircraft fold it and leave it. It will be waiting for you soon after you deplane right there in the walkway. Be sure to fold it securely and if necessary use a bungee to keep it from opening so it doesn't get damaged.

For the 4yo drinking from a sippie cup/sports cap or chewy candy will help the ears, same for baby but maybe a bottle or pacifier and even something to eat.

HTH

TJ

Oops - by the time I finished my post you posted with more info - cool :)

Most of my "advice" stands - and it sounds like you have most of your bases covered. I would definately have a talk with your 4yo about what to expect at security and how you need her to help you.

You can find helpful informaton at www.tsa.gov including traveling with children and a video on clearing security with children.

I would have a couple surprises up your sleeve for the 4yo on the plane. Mine always got a snack that they were not normally allowed to eat - usally starburst as they help with ear pressure :)

A DVD player and headphones are a great idea - I usually bring a new movie they were looking forward to and an old favorite just in case. Don't overlook the little stuff, my kids loved stickers and colorforms and at 4 my youngest once played with a roll of tape for an entire 4 hour trip.

My sil goes to Mc'd's and BK before a flight to stock up on happy meal toys, they have the regular ones and the toddler toys. She has gotten some great stuff and it dosen't matter if it gets dropped or lost in flight.

TJ

DD has flown many times and usually has her shoes off before we hit the security lines :) She is really good at understanding when things are serious and she needs to behave. It is just on the plane she can't keep her attention focused. Usually on flights I'm digging into her bag every 15 minutes for something different for her to do. I'm thinking maybe the DVD player will get her to settle down this time.

I hope.

Be prepared to be more tired than you've EVER been before. If the kids konk out, you do the same. Tell DH the moment he sees you he's up to bat and let him take over. Take "new" toys and snacks that will add interest and take "old" toys and snacks if comfort and familiarity is called for. I've found my kids do quite well because they get my full undivided attention during trips. Shower them with love and tenderness instead of reprimand during stressful moments (there will be some so be ready). Engage them quietly with an interactive book or some songs with actions and everyone will have a great trip. But.....you'll be exhausted. Did I mention that already?

DS4 has a short attention span too. He really enjoyed watching videos on my Ipod!!!!! That kept him pretty busy.:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter