Suggestions for Miami and Key West

brer_rabbit

Mouseketeer
My boyfriend and I are spending a few days down in Miami and the Keys during our November trip. We're spending one night in Miami and 3 nights in Key West.

Does anyone have any idea of things we must see or do in either place? We're hoping to stay on or near South Beach in Miami so any restaurant recommendations would be fab :thumbsup2

So far for Key West our plans are to go to the Ernest Hemingway house and see the sunset from the beach :love: but what else is a must see there?

Thanks for any advice!!! :cheer2:

We did the same few years back can't say too much about miami as we just spent or time on the beach and in hotel.

Key west is beautiful its a tiny island the drive down is lovely too you will love the sunset its beautiful. fort zachary taylor is lovely we just went to the beach the water is so clear we spent a while in the water looking at the fish ect we just had the cheep snorkel masks from walmart.

Key West is one of my favourite places to go, I would definately recommend a drink or two in The Hogs Breath Saloon. A fab place to go for a nice meal is Louies Backyard, ask for a table out the back on the deck.

Both place's have website, if you type the names in to Google then they both come up.

Would also recommed spending an evening at Mallory Square Dock, it's a great place to watch the sunset from, & fill's up early with street performers & stalls selling local arts, crafts & jewellery.

we went to Miami in 2008 for a few night (was going to go to the Key's however was closed and evacuated due to a hurricane!!)
main reason for going was to see the Miami Dolphins play the Jets at the Dolphins stadium - neither myself of DH are huge American football fans, but fancied something different - really glad we did as we both thought the atmosphere and the game were great :) also the tail gate party before and during was amazing!!

we stayed at the Colony hotel (as seen on the cover of most travel documents related to Miami) and would recommend the hotel - lovely setting and just off the beach!! depending on what your looking for. very reasonable price too.

we did the 'duck tour' of miami (basically over the main city and in the bay) checking out all of the 'a-listers homes etc... which was a laugh. main pick up and order was from a place in the city. we also checked out the historic Vizcaya (? spelling?) building which was also very good.

I *think* there is also a CSI Miami tour (well if there isn't someone should set one up!!) but I'm not sure how to book - plus you may not be fans :rolleyes1

hope any of this helps - any more info needed about our trip let me know :goodvibes

we did the 'duck tour' of miami (basically over the main city and in the bay) checking out all of the 'a-listers homes etc... which was a laugh. main pick up and order was from a place in the city. we also checked out the historic Vizcaya (? spelling?) building which was also very good.

I *think* there is also a CSI Miami tour (well if there isn't someone should set one up!!) but I'm not sure how to book - plus you may not be fans :rolleyes1

hope any of this helps - any more info needed about our trip let me know :goodvibes

We are off to Miami for 3 nights in about 12 days before flying home and I got all excited about a CSI tour after reading hour post. So I Googled it, and :sad1: it isn't even filmed in Miami!!!! :eek: Ariel shots yes, and a couple of early scenes, but it is filmed in Southern California. That is just not right is it?:confused3;)

Anyway quite a few folk have recommended the duck tour, so hopefully we will do one

inbetween Miami and Key West on big pine, try and find the No Name Pub,
its pretty good bar food, the bar however is covered in $12,000 in dollar bills, stapled to every surface but the floor and tables.

We are off to Miami for 3 nights in about 12 days before flying home and I got all excited about a CSI tour after reading hour post. So I Googled it, and :sad1: it isn't even filmed in Miami!!!! :eek: Ariel shots yes, and a couple of early scenes, but it is filmed in Southern California. That is just not right is it?:confused3;)

Anyway quite a few folk have recommended the duck tour, so hopefully we will do one

Rubbish! I didn't know that about CSI - If i ever meet Horatio, I'll be having words!!:rotfl:
I'm suprised that no-one has set one up anyway!!

have a great time in Miami - i do remember having the most amazng salad in a bar on the main 'high street' one evening, but i really can't remember the name of the place - sorry not much help! Duck tour was good tho...

Yes we've been to no name pub - you sign a dollar and put it on the wall.

1 night in Miami i'd just do south beach and maybe a tour. We did a boat tour of the stars homes from bayside market place. If you are there on a sunday worth seeking out a sunday brunch - we've been a couple of times to sundays on the bay. It's on key biscayne and you overlook the Miami skyline - people pull up on boats to eat. All sorts of food and mimosas (like bucks fizz).

Enroute to the keys from Miami is a prime outlets - always had some good bargains there.

Take your time down the keys - we did a glass bottom boat trip on key largo - john pennycamp state park. We had breakfast in a diner type place there called harriets.

Further down is a cafe called mrs macs. we've eaten there 3 or 4 times great food and it's all decorated with beer bottles.

In key west - do mallory square at sunset, southern most point for a photo. Some interesting shops to browse. There is a sculpture garden near mallory square. I can remember a breakfast place called camilles that was really popular. I'm not a big drinker but we had a good time going around all the bars at happy hour.

Have a great trip.

:surfweb::teacher:
Rubbish! I didn't know that about CSI - If i ever meet Horatio, I'll be having words!!:rotfl:
I'm suprised that no-one has set one up anyway!!

have a great time in Miami - i do remember having the most amazng salad in a bar on the main 'high street' one evening, but i really can't remember the name of the place - sorry not much help! Duck tour was good tho...

It is just all wrong isn't it? Kind of spoil things.:rotfl2: I remember being so surprised finding out ER wasn't filmed in Chicago too. ah well.:confused:

Thanks for the good wishes about our stay in Miami. I am in two minds really, but know I will enjoy it. I am at that stage where I just want to stay here.

We remembered the amazing salad! It's the Indochine Salad at the Nexxt Cafe on the Lincoln Road Mall on Miami Beach itself. Some nice shops there, too.

Also, it's the law to have breakfast at the News Cafe on South Beach too - very nice and make sure you get a drink with the classy souvenir glass!

Agree with others about Mallory Square at sunset. We also visited the Mel Fisher museum in Key West, he was a treasure hunter and discovered a spanish treasure ship with lots of silver on board and some gold and jewels, you can hold a real gold bar and you can even buy some of the treasure as the found so much of it.

On the way to Key West we stopped at Duck Key and hired a glass bottom boat and skipper for the afternoon. She took us out snorkelling and SNUBAing (like snorkelling but you have a regulator instead of a snorkel, it is attached to the boat via a hose) She also suppplies dive gear if you are certified. So I dived and the rest of the family were snorkelling/SNUBAing around me. It was not that expensive and a great afternoon out.

We stoped off at Key West on the DCL. We did the tram tour of the Town, it was a relaxed way to take in the sights and get an overview of Key West.

We went to Key West back in 1988 and I will never forget the sunset at Mallory Square - such a great atmosphere - lots of entertainment and just a real feel good, happy place.

Also recommend the trolley bus tour which goes past Hemingway's house etc., a great way to see Key West and find out more about it

I also remember enjoying a drink at Sloppy Joe's Bar and enjoying the live music there - this place was apparantly a favourite of Hemingways

Whatever you do I am sure you will have fun

Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter