• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for iPad alternatives from Best Buy?

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
my DH is thinking about getting an iPad from Best Buy (gift certificates), but I was wondering if they sold a different brand with better specs for about the same (or even cheaper) price. We both have android phones so not being on iOS isn't a deal breaker for us. I would love to spend between $400-$600 and get a decent amount of memory.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

None, if you want to be happy get an ipad, if you don't want to spend the 500 get the ipad 2 for reduced price... we had others and just gave in at Christmas and got and ipad... much happier...unless you are an Apple hater

lol, not an apple hater, just hate the higher prices!!!!

I'm thinking about the iPad2. It really has everything he would need and then some!

I don't think they ever go on sale, but I wonder if we'd get something bundled with it if we wait a bit (either that or they sell their iPad 2 inventory and I'm stuck with the latest and greatest, more expensive version!)

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Check out the Nexus 7. It's an Android based tablet that is getting great reviews.

I bought my parents an Asus transformer pad. With the keyboard it's under $600 CAD so it's probably less in USD. The keyboard adds an extra 3 hrs of battery and you can't go wrong with Android or Asus. My parents love it. In fact, my Dad can't put it down long enough for my Mom to check her email!
It's also one of the too rated tablets

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Thanks for more suggestions! I think we're going to go look at them all in the store... I really hate that the iPads do not have an SD card slot to expand memory.

Decisions, decisions....

If he wants an iPad, he isn't going to be happy with anything else. I have an Android phone, but I love my iPod and iPad. I looked around before I purchased my iPad and I wouldn't have been happy with anything else.

Best buy offers open box models, so you can get one quite a bit cheaper than a brand new one. That's the way I got mine and the only thing I found, was that the cord was missing, but that wasn't a problem for me, I had several at home and knew I could order more from Amazon for $2.

I own two Toshiba tablets and both are great. check out the Toshiba Thrive and Toshiba Excite 10.....

This is what we have. We are an adroid family and love the Toshiba Excite 10. My DH loves it because it works just like our phones and he does not like iTunes. We also love that it has a slot to add more memory. I think we paid about $500 for it.

Thanks for more suggestions! I think we're going to go look at them all in the store... I really hate that the iPads do not have an SD card slot to expand memory.

Decisions, decisions....

Just get the 64 gb model. I tried out other tablets but nothing compares to the ipad. I purchased the 64 gb model with cellular. I did look at the transformer and the thrive but both felt cheap and I did not like the interface. Just remember, there is a reason why Apple has been dominating the tablet sales.

dh loves his ipad. he's had two other tablets. he got the ipad as a board member who needs to have special documents signed and returned in minutes. he really sings it's praises. he likes his cover too, can't remember the name but it's sturdy and very high quality compared to what we've seen elswhere. BB carries them. They have a stylus for screen touches that is fabulous.

I agree with others if that is what he want he won't be happy with anything else. I got the IPad 2 and love it.

I would with either Nexus 7 or Samsung tab student edition that is on sell this week with keyboard for 250.

I with you I want be able to add memory too. So so know Microsoft is coming out with the Surface at the end of October.

Get the ipad, you're already spending plenty of money, so get the best and don't settle for android.

I agree that the iPad is the best tablet you can buy. I have an iPad 2 with 32 GB memory and have plenty of room for apps, music, games, movies and tv shows. Not being able to add an SD card has not been an issue.

Get the ipad, you're already spending plenty of money, so get the best and don't settle for android.

Couldn't say it better and after Best Buys earnings today I would be using those gift cards soon. Go to the Apple store of Best Buy and play with them, it is free to do that (Best buy sales people might bug u but the Apple people don't , just sometimes as if you have questions..:)

Samsung Galaxy 10.1. I too have an Android phone and it's nice to have the 2 devices sync (via bluetooth). If you already have the Droid phone, it would be great to not have to purchase apps twice (droid version and apple version).
Trust me, you wouldn't be 'settling' for an Android.

I agree that the iPad is the best tablet you can buy. I have an iPad 2 with 32 GB memory and have plenty of room for apps, music, games, movies and tv shows. Not being able to add an SD card has not been an issue.

I agree 100%. I bought my husband the 32 GB iPad 2 (WiFi) over a year ago and he loves it. At home, he connects to the network to access movies he has put on a back-up hard drive. While traveling he'll put about 8 movies on the iPad to watch while gone. He loves it and we have had no issue with lack of memory. There is a reason Apple products ask more for their price. They last longer, have better apps and are worth the price.

Oh I forgot to mention you do get a 1 yr warranty and you can go to any Apple store for help even if you bought at BBY they are very helpful and answer any questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter