Suggestions for inexpensive food at DLR or DCA?

Lisharn

Earning My Ears
We are trying to keep expenses down. We might bring snacks and drinks for the kids. Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive places to eat for a family of 4. I know we will be spending a lot of money but any bit of saving will help. I bought the unoffical guide and hopefully it will have some info too.

I am trying to get semi organized. hehe :eek:

You might want to try sharing meals. DH and I do this a lot and there is always plenty of food for both of us. In the past we've shared some sort of pasta dish and breadsticks at the Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. Also, try looking at allears.net. They have menus for all the different eating places at DLR and they give prices (although I suppose the prices could change but it will give you a general idea). I'll try posting the link but apparently I'm not good at posting links because they don't always work. Anyway, here it is:

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm#dl

A pizza at Pizza Ooh Mow Mow (however you spell it) in DCA down by the pier is surprisingly filling. We fed 6 on one, so it should easily feed four for around $30.

Another way to save is to order waters (in a cup) rather than beverages too.

thank you for the link. I will check those out. It will give us an idea of where to stop for lunch. we will most likely have dinner off site. I will bring drinks and snacks. $3 for a soda will add up. A bunch of capri suns and water will save a little.

Lisha

Yes, good suggestion. DH and I hardly ever buy drinks when we go out to eat and that does save a lot.

Another idea would be to eat a big meal for lunch and then for dinner just get a snack or a small meal.

A pizza at Pizza Ooh Mow Mow (however you spell it) in DCA down by the pier is surprisingly filling. We fed 6 on one, so it should easily feed four for around $30.

Actually, both Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Disneyland Park and Pizza Oom Mow Mow in Disney's California Adventure Park have just recently changed their pizza slices. Basically, what it means that the pizza slices you get will now be smaller than before, though the prices will remain the same.

Whole Pizzas will continue to be available.

I found Rancho del Zoccoa (sp) by BTM had very good sized portions. I have gotten the Tostada several times and shared it with my niece and still thought it was a lot of food.

My other fav is the WCT in DCA, I found the prices really good and if I ate a salad and the free bread (yummy!!) I usually packed up my sandwhich and ate it for dinner walking around the park. Most of their portions would be easy to share as well.

Hubby and I generally share.

Plate of pasta with marinara and a side garden salad at Plaza Inn (DL).
Platter from Rancho del Zocalo (DL) or Cucina Cucamonga (DCA).
Caprese Sandwich and a side garden salad at Wine Country Trattoria (DCA).

We really really really disliked, to the point of hated, our slice of pizza from Pizza Oom Mow Mow. But their dish of pasta with some sort of cheesy red sauce was passable. But I doubt we'll ever go there again.

On my solo trips, I get kid's meals at Plaza Inn and Rancho. Can get the same pasta at Plaza, or a bean/cheese burrito at Rancho (and Cocina), with a small drink (small bottle of water or tiny soda is what I will get). I bring the "fun straw" home for DS. :)

Hubby and I even share one breadbowl of vegetarian gumbo at Royal Street Veranda (DL), and are quite happy with that amount of food! And it's sooooo good.

We figure...if we share, or get a kid's meal, and we're still hungry we can always buy something else. But if we each get a meal and it's too much, the chances of us actually eating it later are very very low.

We bring in water or get water from counter service places, too. And we bring in granola bars (or more recently, Clif MoJo bars b/c they have protein) for those times when you just want a little something, but don't want to get some expensive and big thing that we might not like (we also have some big food issues in the family, which puts most DLR snacks out of the running...we're vegetarian, hubby has diabetes and controls it completely with diet and exercise, and DS can't have corn syrup in ANY form).

The one thing we splurge on is the fruit. The fruit is so good there! Expensive, but worth it.

Since bumbershoot mentioned it, I wanted to say bringing your own water bottle is a huge money saver on drinks!!

Besides filling with water fountains, many of the restaurants have the types of water fountains you see at restuarants to fill water pitchers, that you can use to fill bottles. Rancho, Tomorrowland terrace, French Quarter, and many others all have these fountains. These are easy to use and the water tastes good from them too!

Thank you for those good suggestions. Water bottles will be a must. I am starting to get excited and a bit stressed. hehe:dance3:

What we did was eat an early lunch (like 10:30-11 ish) and early dinner (4:30-5) then we beat the crowds. We ate out both meals, but to save money you could eat lunch at the park and either go back to your hotel for a quick dinner or bring a picnic type dinner in. Lunch is cheaper, so you could still eat out once a day but bring food in for later. Pizza Port was not a bad price, and it was really good. But EVERYTHING in the park is a lot so be prepared :)

Oh! That made me remember breakfast.

WhiteWater Snacks over at GCH can be quite a bargain, with large breakfasts for not horribly much.

We also love Tomorrowland Terrace, b/c they include a beverage with most of their breakfasts.

We will order two breakfasts (at WWS it's the burrito without meat and the french toast sticks...at Tomorrowland Terrace it's the french toast sticks and a scrambled eggs + country potatoes also without meat) and that comes with two drinks, and we order an extra drink since there are three of us. It fills us all up quite nicely and it's not wasting food or too much money. :)

To save a few bucks....

We usually eat breakfast in our room, eat at Denny's before we go to the park, or just get a pastries at Blue Ribbon Bakery.

If we aren't super hungry we'll split pasta at the Pizza Port. And each get a side salad.

I've also ordered kids meals for myself before.

We always bring water into the parks.

Taste Pilots Grill in DCA is good and pretty inexpensive as well. Kind of a limited menu there but the food is good.

Someone already suggested Wine Country Trattoria. I think people have said that Pacific Wharf Cafe is not too costly.

If you like corn dogs, they have huge ones that are double the size of a regular hot dog. My daughters 3 and 6, and I could only finish one. Course, they are tiny and don't eat much but still the corn dogs are quite big and could be shared between two easily. I believe they were 3.99 and included a bag of chips. There is a stand selling them near Mulholland Madness. I also bring water bottles and the kool aid drink packets. We get cups of cold water when we order food and the kids don't mind at all.

The one thing we splurge on is the fruit. The fruit is so good there! Expensive, but worth it.

Really? Wow... I wouldn't have thought the fruit would be so good there... What types of fruit are particularly tasty there?

Really? Wow... I wouldn't have thought the fruit would be so good there... What types of fruit are particularly tasty there?

The fruit is always delicious! I love the grapes and the pineapple spears. The mango with lime is also great.

We also always buy a "fruit cup" which is actually a box:) at Whitewater Snacks at the GCH. It contains watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, pineapple, and strawberries. My DS (16 months) loves fruit--so much so that I jokingly call him my fruit bat--and he usually can get 2-3 meals worth of fruit out of it as it's a huge portion.

Big fan of the Pizza at Pizza Port. We like to split a slice and a side salad. Big fans of that for my main meal. Tasty too! GL with your trip!

I can't stress enough about bringing your own drinks. We just got back tonight from a 2-day trip, and we brought in our own water, soda, and sunny d's for the kids. That alone probably saved us at least $40.

I've brought in uncrustables for the kids before...they work great for travel.

Try to find the places that have the larger portions. We got mac n cheese at Taste Pilots (which normally I love that place), and it was a TINY portion. On the other hand, the mini-cheeseburgers were two burgers, and a side...perfect for my kids to split.

We had a car, so we did dinner outside of the park and breakfast outside of the park which did help.

The apples, pineapple slices, even the bananas, and yes the grapes. The strawberries, especially if you're getting them during the summer (obviously) are incredible. We normally only eat organic fruit but Disneyland's stuff makes us toss that aside...especially shocking since apples, grapes, and strawberries are on our "ONLY organic" list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter