• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for Good Family Movies that Kids Love and Don't Annoy Adults?

Rupert B Puppenstein

DIS Veteran
I am looking for any suggestions for movies that you enjoyed as much as your kids that are not Disney or an affiliated company. I know that there are a lot of great Disney movies (they pretty much dominate the family market) but our licensing agreement does not allow us to show a neighborhood movie and sell concessions for anything Disney. :(

I am really looking for movies that would be good for all ages since that is the demographic of our neighborhood and I would like as many people as possible to turn out for our movie night.

It doesn't have to be a new movie...just something for everyone.

Thanks in Advance!!

Free Willy--I enjoyed that as much as my nephews did.

That's the first one that popped into my head.

How about a sing-a-long, like a Sound of Music singalong? Those are wildly popular in theatres and fun for everyone.

If the distribution company doesn't have the copy with the bouncing ball lyrics subtitled, you could just hand out lyric sheets along with a pack of twizzlers or something.

Despicable Me
Labyrinth,
(at Halloween) Spaced Invaders
The Halloween Tree (also a Halloween movie)
How to Train Your Dragon
Kung Fu Panda
Shrek
Monsters vs. Aliens

Those are the ones just off the top of my head that I can think of. I'm sure there are tons more.

ETA: Monster House and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

Some of these might have some questionable language, but I remember watching them and loving them when I was a kid (8-10 age). Most are comedies, and any movie that had dancing and good music was always a winner.

Labyrinth
The Goonies
Beetlejuice
The Great Outdoors
Uncle Buck
Summer Rental
Home Alone
Adventures in Babysitting
Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Grease
Troop Beverly Hills

The top of my list would be The Sandlot. It's fantastic!! We've shown it at neighborhood movies in the past, and parents and kids both loved it!

Shrek series
Kung Fu Panda
The Sandlot
Shark Tale
Madagascar (DH loves all of them!)
Ice Age
Scooby Doo
Marmaduke
Charlotte's Web
Babe

I would not consider Dirty Dancing a "family film" but all the rest are good.

We used to go to a moives in the park in my in-laws old town. One night they showed Herbie the Love Bug--the kids were all playing on the playground equipment but the parents were loving watching the film--yes, I know it is Disney and you can't do that one, but they were able to.

Do you have Netflix? Maybe browse the family and children section there? Balto came up as one on there--I loved that movie.

Doctor Doolittle with Eddy Murphy was pretty funny.

E.T

Space Camp

Spaceballs (but not sure that is appropriate for LITTLE kids)

Rudy

The Goonies (is the first that came to mind for me).
Nanny McPhee
Waterhorse
Five Children and It
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Matilda
Spiderwick
Hoot
Jumaniji

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON!! So adorable, and now one of my favorite movies.

School of Rock is also a fun one that someone mentioned above.

I would not consider Dirty Dancing a "family film" but all the rest are good.

We used to go to a moives in the park in my in-laws old town. One night they showed Herbie the Love Bug--the kids were all playing on the playground equipment but the parents were loving watching the film--yes, I know it is Disney and you can't do that one, but they were able to.

Do you have Netflix? Maybe browse the family and children section there? Balto came up as one on there--I loved that movie.

Doctor Doolittle with Eddy Murphy was pretty funny.

E.T

Space Camp

Spaceballs (but not sure that is appropriate for LITTLE kids)

Rudy

My dh introduced spaceballs to my 6yr old.:rolleyes:. Probably not the best movie for little ones to watch... he loves it though :rotfl:

I love Monsters VS Aliens funny movie!!

Fly Away Home

The Princess Bride

October Sky

Racing Stripes

Because of Winn Dixie

Catch That Kid

Big

Back to the Future

Singin in the Rain

Sandlot is the first one that came to mind. Labryinth and Little Giants are good ones too. Oh and Princess Bride. LOVE that movie!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter