Suggestions for "elevator" shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tromba

Mouseketeer
My daughter is four years old, and is definitely ready for Star Tours, Soarin, etc. Wearing her black dress shoes with a half inch heel, she is right at 40". Does anyone have suggestions for a more comfortable shoe for her that would maybe even put her safely over the 40" threshhold? Also, does anyone put inserts or extra socks? What have you tried? What works?

Thanks, Tromba

There are a lot of sneakers out there that have a heel that's more than half an inch. Clogs tend to have a heel also, and can be pretty comfy. I would not use inserts - that seems like cheating. That said, my daughter (without me knowing it, although I think my husband knew) once put granola bars (in the wrappers, of course) in her shoes to hit a height requirement at Great America.

If the soles of the shoes look extra thick a CM can ask the child to remove their shoes when checking height. This is safety related,

My daughter is four years old, and is definitely ready for Star Tours, Soarin, etc. Wearing her black dress shoes with a half inch heel, she is right at 40". Does anyone have suggestions for a more comfortable shoe for her that would maybe even put her safely over the 40" threshhold? Also, does anyone put inserts or extra socks? What have you tried? What works?

Thanks, Tromba

Beware there is a another long thread on this. board that gone off track.

This post is technically against forum rules because you are asking how to break Disney rules.

Get ready

Edited: And the race is on to closing this thread

The height restrictions are there for a reason, why in the world would anyone put their child in jeopardy? Height restrictions insure safety - my goodness!

:cool1:
Two "how do I make my kid taller for the rides threads" in one day. There could be blood by the end of the weekend.

I have to laugh, because across the top of this thread, there is an "elevator shoe" ad banner!
Just seems to add fuel to the fire, doesn't it? :rolleyes1

Last year at Soarin there were 2 CMs measuring DD - one measured her, the other looked in her shoes, so Disney is on to that. She was about 1/2 inch short, so she didn't ride, and that was fine with us. Maybe this year she will make the height requirement.

The rules are there for a reason, IMHO. What if (heaven forbid) a child was injured on a ride they weren't supposed to be on the first place?

You know, if I could merge threads like this with the beach chair thread, I'd be really comfortable.

Then I'd have a seat to watch the carnage, that is only if I leave my towel on it while I'm off viewing other threads.

Just let me throw this out, how cautious do they really need to be with those measurements, I mean, it's not as if there aren't any safety tolerences built in, right.

And don't tell me how to parent.

If only the CM's would get on the same page, those Height Hittites (sounds better than Nazi. . .alliteration people) just want to make my little Butter Bean cry.

Besides, as the sun heats those metal poles, they expand (I know, don't ask) and make them no longer the right height, I'll bet their more like 48.004 inches anyway.

Don't tell me how to parent.

Did I miss anything?

Cue Elvis.

You know, if I could merge threads like this with the beach chair thread, I'd be really comfortable.

Then I'd have a seat to watch the carnage, that is only if I leave my towel on it while I'm off viewing other threads.

Just let me throw this out, how cautious do they really need to be with those measurements, I mean, it's not as if there aren't any safety tolerences built in, right.

And don't tell me how to parent.

If only the CM's would get on the same page, those Height Hittites (sounds better than Nazi. . .alliteration people) just want to make my little Butter Bean cry.

Besides, as the sun heats those metal poles, they expand (I know, don't ask) and make them no longer the right height, I'll bet their more like 48.004 inches anyway.

Don't tell me how to parent.

Did I miss anything?

Cue Elvis.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:thumbsup2

This is actually hilarious. When I checked back to see if there had been any responses to my OP (and BTW, thanks Mattsdragon for your "Don't tell me how to be a parent" line; I couldn't have said it any better myself). Anyway, there is a flashing ad for Bugarri shoes, which will increase your height 4 inches!!

That can't be coincidence!

And by the way, thanks for all the responses that actually answered my question without a lecture or sermon.

Tromba

This is actually hilarious. When I checked back to see if there had been any responses to my OP (and BTW, thanks Mattsdragon for your "Don't tell me how to be a parent" line; I couldn't have said it any better myself). Anyway, there is a flashing ad for Bugarri shoes, which will increase your height 4 inches!!

That can't be coincidence!

And by the way, thanks for all the responses that actually answered my question without a lecture or sermon.

Tromba
Ah, but you will get the lectures and sermons anyway.

And then people will step in to defend you.

And then it gets really fun.

And just in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't rubber neck on the highway. I don't need to, I just come to the DIS and watch these threads turn into 50 car pile-ups.

Height requirements are important, and if you were asking how to add an extra 3'' or so, I'd advise to wait. But, a 1/2'' is still going to be safe. Height requirements allow for a huge margin of error. Anytime anything is graded to weights or heights, they allow for significant margins. Examples are elevators, child car seats, etc. In today's era of litigation, everyone wants to cover their butt. So if a ride is 40'', then really it has probably been safety tested and proven at a lower height, but to be safe, as they should, they will grade it at 40'' to cover for those outlier scenarios like the child who is perhaps 38'', but has a really really tall torso and shortlegs. (Or some other odd proportion that would make it unsafe.)

Height requirements are important, and if you were asking how to add an extra 3'' or so, I'd advise to wait. But, a 1/2'' is still going to be safe. Height requirements allow for a huge margin of error. Anytime anything is graded to weights or heights, they allow for significant margins. Examples are elevators, child car seats, etc. In today's era of litigation, everyone wants to cover their butt. So if a ride is 40'', then really it has probably been safety tested and proven at a lower height, but to be safe, as they should, they will grade it at 40'' to cover for those outlier scenarios like the child who is perhaps 38'', but has a really really tall torso and shortlegs. (Or some other odd proportion that would make it unsafe.)

I agree that there is probably some margin of error in their height measurment numbers. But as I have not built the rides nor seen the plans for them, I have no idea what that number might be. So for safety's sake I follow the height restrictions as they are. Which is really the only smart thing to do.

I forgot the guy's name, but a young man who was a little too short to join the Navy used to hang upside down by his legs from a pole and I think he held weights at the same time. Anyway, he was able to "grow" just enough to pass the height requirement. I think he became a pretty senior Naval Officer by the end of his career.

I think the story was on 60 Minutes several years ago.

So................go buy one of those poles that you put inside the door frame and get busy!

I forgot the guy's name, but a young man who was a little too short to join the Navy used to hang upside down by his legs from a pole and I think he held weights at the same time. Anyway, he was able to "grow" just enough to pass the height requirement. I think he became a pretty senior Naval Officer by the end of his career.

I think the story was on 60 Minutes several years ago.

So................go buy one of those poles that you put inside the door frame and get busy!

:lmao:

And the comedy begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter