Suggestions for delicious, healthy, less fattening meals

flyball

Mouseketeer
I know I'm crazy, but somehow I've deluded myself into thinking I may actually be able to curtail my annual Disney weight gain this year (even though I think most of the reason we return every year is to EAT)! I was just wondering what dishes have blown you away without blowing you up!

"Suggestions for delicious, healthy, less fattening meals"
:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :laughing:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Best bet? Rent a car and a place with a kitchen, then cook your own food. There might be a few things in WDW that are healthy and low fat, but you pay a ton for them, and they are few and far between.

You could check out www.allearsnet.com, and click on Dining. There are all the menus for all the restaurants. Happy hunting.

How about the new place The Wave at CR isnt it supposed to be healthier?

I am a pretty healthy eater even at Disney and I have found that you can eat healthy and well almost anywhere. The two places I love that have a lot of healthy food are Boma and Tusker House. Both have African food which includes a lot of vegetables and lean meats or fish. Both are buffets so you have the advantage of trying a bunch of new things. Of course the desserts are another story.

Other good options are Restaurant Marrakesh, Sunshine Seasons, Crystal Palce, and the Cape May Character Breakfast. I have not done Cape May but from looking at the menu they have fruit and yogurt and granola and not just pancakes and sausage.

I have also heard that Season’s 52 is a very good organic restaurant in the area but that would require a car or taxi.

I know I'm crazy, but somehow I've deluded myself into thinking I may actually be able to curtail my annual Disney weight gain this year (even though I think most of the reason we return every year is to EAT)! I was just wondering what dishes have blown you away without blowing you up!
Yes you can eat healthy at WDW. It's all about choices. I can find healthy alternatives/choices at any location in WDW. Even the pizza is now on a multi grain crust (which is delicious). As far as dishes that stand out for being healthy, and although I am not a fan of location itself, the Mahi Mahi at San Angel Inn.

:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :laughing:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. There might be a few things in WDW that are healthy and low fat, but you pay a ton for them, and they are few and far between.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Healthy options are available if you know what to look for, and what buzzwords scream fat or unhealthy. Every location has salads, including entree salads. Fruits and veggies are everywhere.

I am a pretty healthy eater even at Disney and I have found that you can eat healthy and well almost anywhere. The two places I love that have a lot of healthy food are Boma and Tusker House. Both have African food which includes a lot of vegetables and lean meats or fish. Both are buffets so you have the advantage of trying a bunch of new things. Of course the desserts are another story.

Other good options are Restaurant Marrakesh, Sunshine Seasons, Crystal Palce, and the Cape May Character Breakfast. I have not done Cape May but from looking at the menu they have fruit and yogurt and granola and not just pancakes and sausage.

I have also heard that Season’s 52 is a very good organic restaurant in the area but that would require a car or taxi.
I agree with you 110% on those locations.

I am hypoglycemic and have no choice but to make healthy choices. Trust me, I don't want to feel sick on my vacation. And if I can do it, anyone can do it. So OP, yes there is the availability to eat healthy at WDW.

Two immediately come to mind. The new hummous sandwich at Columbia Harbor House was pretty good. I ordered it begrudgingly (I really wanted the ham sandwich that it replaced) but ended up really enjoying it. Also, the seared tuna at Brown Derby was delicious, and very light. The tilapia at Coral Reef was pretty good too---a modest portion, and the sides weren't too over the top.

You can eat healthy at Disney. My DH always does. Lots of choices. We just need to look at the menu and they are there. I heard Disney ended it's contract with MC Donalds to show they are making healther food choices at the World.

I heard Disney ended it's contract with MC Donalds to show they are making healther food choices at the World.

In NJ, The Record reported that DL ended the contract with McDonalds. Not sure if it also applies to WDW.

At most TS Restaurants there is a Grilled or Broiled Fish Choice.
I get that everytime. I try not to order French fries and opt for
the Salad (dressing on side) instead (this is the hardest) or even baked potato
with topping on side.
Drink plenty of water, can't drink Diet Sodas because they
make me twice a hungry (fake sweetner).

It's not hard to eat healthy at WDW. Most places have at least one healthy alternative. As far as CS goes, you can't beat Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. Fresh salads, sushi, noodle bowls, sandwiches, salmon, rotisserie chicken...actually, I think it would be hard to eat UNHEALTHY in that place. We love it! Even the desserts don't seem too bad.

My problem is trying to stay away from sodas. I can't drink Diet Coke, and that's about the only Diet drink you can find in the world. And I LOVE regular Coke (it's like a drug), so that's added weight gain.

I'll echo what other posters have mentioned about plenty of fruits and veggies being available, but I just want to stress - portion control! The portions they serve at WDW are outrageous, esp. with the dining plan. Don't feel compelled to eat everything on your plate, or share meals.
Good luck! :)

I am a pretty healthy eater even at Disney and I have found that you can eat healthy and well almost anywhere. The two places I love that have a lot of healthy food are Boma and Tusker House. Both have African food which includes a lot of vegetables and lean meats or fish. Both are buffets so you have the advantage of trying a bunch of new things. Of course the desserts are another story. Other good options are Restaurant Marrakesh, Sunshine Seasons, Crystal Palce, and the Cape May Character Breakfast.

Me too and I love Boma even though I'm not a big buffet person. Tangerine Cafe (Epcot) also has a few healthy options. I like Columbia Harbor House (MK) too but you might want to know that, unless it's changed, the broccoli slaw on the Lighthouse Sandwich is loaded with mayo. The veggie chilli there is pretty good. Flametree BBQ has a nice fruit plate.

The TS places I've been to will do your fish and chicken without the sauces if you ask.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

I'm looking forward to the Wave. If you check out the menu you'll see they offer some really delicious sounding, healthy choices.
Another thing I noticed was the fruit stand near the safari ride. I had a snack of fruit (apples/grapes) and cheese and was so excited to see a big basket of bananas there, too. :banana:
I think it can be done, it's just not the norm. Good luck!

Thank you for all the suggestions. We actually eat at Boma and the Tangierine Cafe often. We've always loved Tusker House (that was my favorite TS before it changed over). I know it's possible to eat healthy anywhere, as we're pretty conscienscious, but I was looking for specific healthy choices that Disers found particularly palatable. We always split our entrees, as my girls and I could never finish the portions individually and soda isn't a problem (although we do partake in some libations, which I know are very high in carbs and calories)!!! Sounds like Sunshine Seasons and the Wave are must dos based on the responses, and I'm definitely going to try the seared tuna at Brown Derby (that sounds delicious!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter