suggestions for buying a wifi device for trip

Ipod touch all the way here. Even bought one for Mom so she could keep up to date on the FP! and dining times. It is brilliant but invest in a cheap battery backup and remember a charger. Outlets are fairly easy to find. It also takes good pictures and you can play Frozen freefall while waiting in line and the disboards app.

The MDE app is only available on the Android OS for phones. No tablet has the ability to install it. Some have been able to grab the apk for it and install it, but since it is not a version for tablets, it is just the phone version blown up. As much as I hate using my iPad mini compared to my Nexus 7, at least the iPad has a tablet version of MDE that looks and works fantastic. That being said, you can find many android based tablets new for a very reasonable price. Even without using the app, they all can access the MDE website to make fastpass+ and dining reservations.

I was not able to get MDE app on my Galaxy Tab. Back to my iPad mini and iPhone.

Are you sure you just couldn't find it. I have a Note 3 phone, my wife and son have a Galaxy S4, and my son has a galaxy tablet and we can get MDE on all of them through the google play store.

It isn't available on the app store for the Galaxy Tab but I side loaded it and it works great on my Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Same here, I copied it from my LG G2 but its not a simple as going to Google Play and downloading it.

On our trip in October, I used my older generation Ipod Touch. It worked flawlessly! I had a protective case, a pink otterbox princess: so just had it throwed in my fannypack and used it for changing our fastpasses, checking wait time, emails and using the disboards app. Had no problems with the wifi at all the parks nor at our resort, Pop Century. Even used it to resign up for BOG FP after we used ours. Ended up going 3 times :banana:

We do not have smart phones, nor want to cover the cost. So I suggest the Ipod Touch. I have a Ipad Mini, but could not imagine packing that around the parks compared to my ipod touch.

I would also vote for the ipod touch too. We bought my son one about five years back so it's the older version and it worked great on our last trip in November. Besides the mde app, you can also get the undercover tourist app for the wait times. I actually didn't use it much but under the settings you can set up your three fps with alarms. So each day my iPhone would alarm a half hour before my ride time so I didn't have to keep going into the mde account, unless your changing your fp

Just get a smart phone like a normal person it will take you 3 minutes at the store.

From the OP

For me there is no value in owning a smart phone.

Its a lot more than 3 minutes, its an extra cost per month the OP doesn't want. But anyway, lots of normal people don't have smart phones. Some normal people don't even want a cell phone.

Though its getting harder an harder to get a non smart phone. Last time at the Verizon Store the non smart phones were in a very small display in the corner.

With all of your help, I had a starting place for research. The ipod touch seems to be what I am looking for. Found some refurbished ones as well. Small enough to fit in my fanny pack and still do the job. Yeah, I'm not normal. I wear a fanny pack. :-) Now if I could just get that reservation at Be Our Guest, I'd be ready to go!

I've been using an iPod Touch for years now. It works perfectly at the parks and hotels. And it's also an entire computer - you will have email, web browser, etc.

With all of your help, I had a starting place for research. The ipod touch seems to be what I am looking for. Found some refurbished ones as well. Small enough to fit in my fanny pack and still do the job. Yeah, I'm not normal. I wear a fanny pack. :-) Now if I could just get that reservation at Be Our Guest, I'd be ready to go!

Once you have the ipod you can check when ever you want. Well as long as you have wi fi. ;)

Thanks for all the encouragement. And special thanks to Chartle for coming to my defense. Not all of us are up to date on this "new" technology.

I'm in the same position as the OP. I can borrow an iPad mini from school. Will that work, or do I really need an iPod touch?

(Y'all know I'm going to be back here for a tutorial on how to get the app, right? :lmao: I just don't understand a lot of the tech stuff! :confused3 )

I'm in the same position as the OP. I can borrow an iPad mini from school. Will that work, or do I really need an iPod touch?

(Y'all know I'm going to be back here for a tutorial on how to get the app, right? :lmao: I just don't understand a lot of the tech stuff! :confused3 )

If you can borrow the iPad mini, just use that. A mini is a larger version of the iPod touch. The iPad is a gigantic version of an iPod touch.

I have an iPhone and son has recent gen iPod touch with wifi he can call and text me and his friends and do stuff with apps watch movies .....
If u don't know how to use google "how do I ..." And there r YouTube vids

When we went I carried a mini ipad and DGD carried an ipod touch 5. Both worked fine except on my ipad the MDE app did not work well. I would just get to my fastpasses and resetvations by going into MDE through the disneyworld.disney.go.com web site instead of using the MDE app .

For me there is no value in owning a smart phone. I am looking for suggestions of the best device that I can use to hook onto Disney's system so I can book fastpasses, dining reservations, etc. My son has an older ipad he said I could use but that seems too heavy to carry around each day. I have seen the smaller version of the ipad and some other companies that have smaller tablets that are lighter. I don't need to have a service just ability to hook up to wifi. I don't know a lot about these things, but understand that there are different operating systems, etc and that some might work better than others.
I think there might be value for me outside of the Disney trip to own one of these smaller tablets but I want to get the best one to use at Disney.
Any ideas would be helpful. We are going in October so if you know of new products etc coming out in the next few months please include.
Thank you. thank you. I have done lots of searches on this but just must not be putting in the correct words. :-)

I have an iPad mini, which I love. I owned the first generation iPad (much heavier) before the mini. If I were bringing a bag big enough to carry the mini, I'd say that would be a good option! I have MDE on my iPad, and it seems to work well at home. I can't speak to it in the parks, though, as I haven't brought the iPad into the parks. I use my iPhone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter