Suggestions for a young family of 5

Just to add a bit of balance to the timeshare vs. vacation home differences. Everyone tends to point out the features and/or negatives of each. Full disclosure, I an biased towards timeshare resorts as my personal choice.

Vacation Home Rentals:
- your own space, your own pool
- really a full apartment size (minimum) all the way up to a luxury house
- really good value for money
- might include lots of extras like stocked games room, specific nursery room with crib
- each one is an individually owned, decorated and maintained property
But
- each one is an individually owned, decorated and maintained property - not necessarily correct. Many/most condos or vacation homes around WDW are in communities that have HOAs and require certain things, including maintenance and often some degree of decoration. For example, we've stayed at several properties, but in different units and except for minor differences, the furnishings, etc...are all the same.
- if your unit is not acceptable, you have no recourse - also not true at all. You go to the owner of the unit, same as you would for the timeshare (in a timeshare, you don't "own" the unit, just time).
- maintenance issues can take some time to resolve - not in our experience. We've had very, very few issues, but the few we have had frankly were resolved much quicker than our experience with a timeshare. The unit owner of our vacation home immediately contacted someone to come out and help us. On our last trip, my 9 year old accidentally locked the key in the house. After the initial panic, we went to the clubhouse, which is staffed 12 hours per day. They did a few verification checks and had us back in our place in 10 minutes.
- many often require a bit (to a lot) of self-cleaning at the end of stay (stripping beds, perhaps vacuuming) - we've NEVER had to do anything that isn't required in a timeshare. We've never had to vacuum, strip the beds, scrub the toilets, rebuild the master bath (just kidding obviously) or anything else. Just simply leave it in the condition we found it. So yeah, if we spilled crumbs everywhere, we're expected to clean it, but that's it. Same applies when you leave a timeshare. Rental home owners have a cleaning company come after you leave, it's part of the fee you pay to rent.
- can charge for extras, many charge for pool heat as an extra - This I have seen, but it's only for things like heat in the pool, if the house has a private pool (many don't). It's usually clearly marked in the contract and the owner will ask if you want it. I can't say I have a problem with it, heating a pool ain't cheap.
Caveats
- understand all the rules terms and requirements of the owner before you go, they can be quite variable
- best to get a specific unit that comes with a recommendation from a trusted source -

Timeshares:
- your own space, 1-2-3 bedrooms with up to 12 occupancy - same as a condo/townhome
- full kitchen and laundry in unit same as a condo/townhome
- space of 4-5 standard hotel rooms. (1200-1500 sf or larger) - same as a condo/townhome...in fact most condos/townhomes are larger than timeshares and may offer more privacy
- central pool(s) with slides or other features, restaurants, other amenities (pool towel exchange, tennis/pickle ball, mini-golf, bike rentals, etc) - most condos around WDW are this way
- daily or weekly housekeeping - no self-cleaning required same as a condo/townhome
- if there is a problem, there is 24 hour maintenance staff, or ask front desk for another unit most condos/townhomes around WDW are set up the exact same way...see my example above
- usually dealing with a reputable chain, quality usually matches the brand line (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott maintain their standards). Easy to check on the quality of the resort through standard review sites. Most brand line hotels are franchisees. You may get good quality to match, but you may not. Same would be true with a townhome/condo
But
- several now charge resort fees, parking, or other extras
- most will try to entice you to attend an OPTIONAL timeshare presentation - just say no, it's not really that difficult.
- the pools are communal, although most larger resorts have multiple pools
Caveats
- beware of heavily discounted promotions (usually for 3 night 4 days) that do require you to attend a timeshare presentation. Marketers are required by state law to declare this, so read any suspicious offer. Should state something to the effect of "the intent of this offer is for timeshare sales and marketing" "attendance at a sales presentation is required to qualify". These are comparatively rare however, but get a lot of bad press.
- do not give in to a timeshare presentation. Really, no matter how valuable their offer, just resist and say no. A standard offer is usually around $200 worth of cash/goodies for a one hour presentation (that can stretch out longer). It is not for the weak of resolve and really not worth the cost/hr when compared to what you are spending to be at Disney! Saying no to the guy trying to sign you up is really easy though, and generally once you give them a firm no, they leave you alone.

As I said, I am biased towards the resorts because I like to know what I am getting, and enjoy having the housekeeping options and just dropping off my key at the end of week.

Everyone has their own opinions, which is fine. But your facts against condos/vacation homes are inaccurate. We used to own a timeshare (not at Disney, elsewhere). See my comments above... At a place like WDW, I can't see any advantage to a timeshare. At best, they're equal...at worst they're a worse option.

Everyone has their own opinions, which is fine. But your facts against condos/vacation homes are inaccurate. We used to own a timeshare (not at Disney, elsewhere). See my comments above... At a place like WDW, I can't see any advantage to a timeshare. At best, they're equal...at worst they're a worse option.

I disagree. When I pick a timeshare, I get one with oodles of free amenities - free water slides, free mini golf, free spray parks and pools, free kid parks, free evening shows (magic, luau, gatorland, movies in the pool), free activities programs, etc. Why stay on Disney and continue to pay, pay, and pay some more for things you can get thrown in for free? For a family of 5-6 to play one round of Disney mini-golf will set you back $70ish - at a timeshare, it can be free. Timeshares give so many free options that you don't need to go anywhere for and you can spend a day relaxing (b/c on a Disney site, you will usually have to pay or travel...both cost value, since time is money, as is hassle)...

I used to stay on property (I've been to Pop, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Saratoga Springs, and Beach Club) - it was never better than offsite - for me, at best you could say it was sometimes equal when I got military deals that made it stupid cheap back in the day (which don't exist anymore)...at the prices I'd pay now vs what I can get at a timeshare, it always loses...

Huh?? Who said anything about staying on property? I've never stayed on property, and never plan to. Unless I read it wrong, the discussion was about time shares vs. condos/townhomes with BOTH options being offsite. I totally agree with you that there's no reason to stay on WDW property if you're a large family (though I understand why people do, I just wouldn't do it). I love staying off property, gives us so many options. My post above is saying that a condo/townhome offsite is much better than a timeshare offsite.

Huh?? Who said anything about staying on property? I've never stayed on property, and never plan to. Unless I read it wrong, the discussion was about time shares vs. condos/townhomes with BOTH options being offsite. I totally agree with you that there's no reason to stay on WDW property if you're a large family (though I understand why people do, I just wouldn't do it). I love staying off property, gives us so many options. My post above is saying that a condo/townhome offsite is much better than a timeshare offsite.

Sorry I misinterpreted you, but even then, everything I mentioned is for a timeshare property - all those positives are also going to be over a non-timeshare condo/townhome. You trade extra space/rooms for extra free amenities when you do a townhome vs a timeshare. On long vacations, I prefer the amenities (we spent almost 3 days just enjoying free amenities on our resort)...

And just to say that I was trying to provide some balance. Both options have positives AND negatives. People have good and bad experiences in both timeshares and vacation homes. Was just trying to give the OP some of the things to think about when considering either option. I have a favorite, you have a favorite, we have them for different reasons. Most people here on DIS in general favor staying onsite. The OP may come up with a completely different favorite, and it is all okay. People should choose the option that works best for them wisely and knowing all of the particulars of the choice they make.

But your facts against condos/vacation homes are inaccurate.
Sorry, and just to add, I would be happy to correct any inaccuracies. I am speaking in generalities too, not all comments apply to all rental homes or all timeshares, but it represents my understanding and experiences of both.

Hi all,

We are contemplating a 2nd trip to Disney with our children possibly March, April or May 2017. This trip would include my husband, myself, and our 3 children -- ages 6, 5 and 3. Since it's 5 of us and no infants, our on-site options are pretty limited and the family value suites and most of the moderates seem to be out of our budget at this time for those months.

My kids are all small and so could potentially all share a queen bed together, or a 2 bedroom with an additional sofa bed, or something of that nature. In short we are flexible with number of bedrooms/beds as long as the size of the beds would work.

A full kitchen would be nice as that will help us save money on some meals, but not a total deal-breaker either -- but I would at least want something with a mini fridge and microwave if not.

We were last down Thanksgiving 2015 and we stayed at Lake Buena Vista Resort Villa & Spa, in a 2 bedroom suite, but we got a really good rate as we were there during my husband's business trip.

We're not very picky, so I'd be perfectly happy with a Holiday Inn-esque place, as long as it's clean, enough beds for us, and at the least the fridge/microwave combo -- and a decent proximity to the parks would be a plus as well of course. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
Your last resort was going to be my suggestion to you! We've also stayed at Marriott Grande Vista in a two bedroom lock off. It's a bit further from Disney but nearer to Universal and Sea World, if you are intending to visit those two parks as well.

Good discussion!

I quoted a small portion of a previous message... I think it is very insightful and important. I have added my comments in bold, italic, underline. I am a firm believer in staying offsite, but it is more work in some ways, and there are some risks... it is important to know these so you have the right expectations.

Just to add a bit of balance ...

But
- each one is an individually owned, decorated and maintained property (Generally true)
- if your unit is not acceptable, you have no recourse (I have NEVER experienced this... but I always do substantial research prior to renting)
- maintenance issues can take some time to resolve (This can be true!! You are NOT in a hotel. See my notes below for examples.)
- many often require a bit (to a lot) of self-cleaning at the end of stay (stripping beds, perhaps vacuuming) (Will be true, but we never rented one that required anything I considered onerous. This would be a deal breaker for me. Most ask you to start a load of towels in the laundry, strip the bedding and pile it on the floor, start the dishwasher and leave no dirty dishes on the counter. These items basically make it possible for the economics to work for the owner and the cleaning company. I was happy to contribute to my savings with these small items.)
- can charge for extras, many charge for pool heat as an extra (Absolutely true... many also have a one time cleaning fee)
Caveats
- understand all the rules terms and requirements of the owner before you go, they can be quite variable
- best to get a specific unit that comes with a recommendation from a trusted source
(VERY GOOD ADVICE... but I will add, the market sets the rules for the most part. The great benefit to all of us is that there are a HUGE number of condos/villas, and so the terms and conditions are pretty standard.)

In my opinion, a vacation at Disney is about maximizing fun and cherished memories, and reducing stress. And renting a hotel/condo rather than a room at a Disney resort is has nearly opposite stress points.

1) Transportation for the whole trip. Arrival, departure, and during the trip.
- I have traveled a LOT over the years for my work. I am used to driving in unfamiliar places and I have found it to be something you learn over time. So for me, driving in the Orlando area is no big deal... that will not be true for everyone. Getting to your condo/villa if you have never stayed there before can be stressful (in many cases there is just a small sign, or no sign, unlike a huge neon sign directing you to a hotel)... if you arrive late and are driving in the dark it can be hard to find your resort, there might be a line of cars checking in at the resort security gate, it might be hard to figure out how to get the damn key our of the lockbox when you finally get to the house. Don't underestimate how tired you are when you arrive if you have flown or driven all day to get there, and how much harder that can make things that might seem simple. For me the transportation during the stay and leaving is simple. Drive to and from the parks and back to the airport. One great thing is that rental cars can be extremely cheap in Orlando during non-peak times.
- Disney makes transportation easy. You can use magical express to get to and from the airport. While on site, you can use Disney transportation the whole time. It is PREDICTABLE... you don't have to do anything, and it is cheap/free! I would never underestimate the value here. That said, it does not come close to making up for the rest.
2) Space and amenities in your lodging.
- With an offsite condo/Villa you will get: Multiple bedrooms, in many cases multiple bathrooms (my family would never go for single bathroom lodging again. once our kids turned into teenagers at least), washer and dryer, full kitchen, pool if you are in a villa, game-room (make sure you get one that is air conditioned if you are going when it is hot as they are usually in the garage). This is a small list of the advantages, but it gives you the idea. Space, good uninterrupted sleep, privacy including bathroom privacy etc. All key ingredients to removing stress.
- A wise person long ago on these forums once stated something to the effect: "There is no magic for me when 4 people are staying in a normal hotel room with 2 beds and a single bathroom". How true! I find staying in a cramped space with kids to be extremely stressful. This is what you get with an onsite or offsite hotel in most cases. Renting multi bedroom suites at most hotels are priced well out of my budget in every case I have seen.

This post is already long, but I added some of our experiences from previous trips below.

We have rented condos/Villas 6 times now, all were great experiences. Some comments from each (least recent to most recent):

1) Festiva Orlando resort on N. Old Lake Wilson Road.... First trip do Disney with kids... We got this on a RCI exchange from my parents, so our bar was pretty low as it was free ;-)... The resort itself was just ok, nice zero entry pool for little kids... but the walls in the condo were PAPER THIN. We could follow the conversations of our neighbors. It was 20 years ago, maybe it is better now. Still much better than a hotel given the extra space.

2) Crystal Cove... A small condo development on the road to Emerald Island resort off Funie Steed road. Nice condo, the pool was meh.. but MUCH better than a hotel room. One note on this... I rented this place from a rental agency rather than an individual and picking up the keys was a HUGE pain in the ***. The keys were at the rental office and of course our plane landed after the place closed. So I had to use a code on a cranky key box in pouring rain while my family was waiting in the car thinking I was crazy to have not rented a hotel. Then we had to drive to the place in the dark and rain to a place we had never been which was not clearly marked. In the end it was wonderful, but the beginning of the trip was stressful.

3) Windsor Hills Villa. This changed our view on taking vacations entirely. ENTIRELY. I rented this Villa in Windsor Hills as a surprise for the family. I told them it would be a nice place, but other than that was silent about it. When we got there, the whole family gasped... 5 bedroom villa, two story entrance with huge chandelier, 50 inch flat screen tv, marble counters, stainless appliances, rooms for each person, PRIVATE screened heated pool, game room with pool table, foos ball, and nintendo game console. All for the price of a moderate resort (or less) at Disney.... Plus, getting to Animal Kingdom park was FASTER than many of the resorts at Disney. I think that may have been the best vacation of our lives relative to expectations.

4/5) Sunset lakes twice. Villa with private pool on a lake. Sunset lakes is a really nice area a few miles further away from Disney than Windsor Hills. Nice homes, but not nearly as nice as Windsor Hills in my experience (also somewhat less expensive). The lakes have fishing, but we did not have much luck.

6) Lake Berkley. Really nice Villa with awesome game room and private pool... right by a lake with what we found to have GREAT fishing (Villa had fishing poles and tackle included). One evening my 16 yo son and I were out fishing and a small alligator swam by. In my opinion, vacations are about fun at the time, but also the memories. We will remember that for a long time ;-) Lake Berkley is 10-15 mins further to the parks than Windsor Hills, but I have now gotten used to driving near Disney World, so an extra 10 mins is no big deal. My job requires that I be available at most times, so having good internet access is required wherever I go. At this house the router hardware was beginning to fail when we got there. I spent an hour on the phone with the internet service provider, and it was never resolved completely. I am IT savvy, so I could keep things going, but this is the sort of problem that can occur at a condo or villa... something fails that is outside of the control of the owner or property manager in a short period of time. Could have been the pool heater, washer/dryer, or anything else. You have to be a bit flexible and even possibly handy at these places in exchange for the experience.

To the original poster:

Good luck with your trip! Get a condo/villa and add to your enjoyment!

Ed

Sorry I misinterpreted you, but even then, everything I mentioned is for a timeshare property - all those positives are also going to be over a non-timeshare condo/townhome. You trade extra space/rooms for extra free amenities when you do a townhome vs a timeshare. On long vacations, I prefer the amenities (we spent almost 3 days just enjoying free amenities on our resort)...

Guess it's each person to their own, because I don't agree with the above either. We did timeshares around WDW twice...once at Vistana Villiage and once at Star Island. Both were perfectly nice places, especially Vistana. But, they offered absolutely zero advantages over any other condo/townhome we've rented...and we've rented about 7 or 8 different places. Our condos have always been larger than the timeshares, had the same amenities and lack of requirements for maintenance as timeshares. I wouldn't rent a condo or townhome if we were required to strip all the beds, do all the dishes, etc... Every one we've ever rented simply asked us to put any dirty dishes in the dishwasher (they didn't even ask us to run it) and don't leave a mess. We pack up our things and walk out, don't do any cleaning (again, beyond cleaning up any true mess we may have made) and never once had any issues. Maintenance needs have been few and far between, but have always been responded to immediately.

I have nothing against timeshares. As I said, we used to own one, and rented twice at WDW. But they don't offer any distinct advantage over a condo or townhome. It's personal taste, I suppose.

Extremely useful info, thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this out -- it's going to be very, very helpful and I appreciate the varying points of view. I still have a few weeks before I'll know 100% for sure on when we're going to be able to go, so this gives me lots of research ammo for in the meantime and I can take some time to narrow it down to a few "finalists" before I present them to my husband. ;-)

I feel a lot more equip now -- having multiple personal recommendations, especially from people on the Dis is a huge help. I could sit on TripAdvisor reviews for hours and still not have a clue!

I disagree. When I pick a timeshare, I get one with oodles of free amenities - free water slides, free mini golf, free spray parks and pools, free kid parks, free evening shows (magic, luau, gatorland, movies in the pool), free activities programs, etc. Why stay on Disney and continue to pay, pay, and pay some more for things you can get thrown in for free? For a family of 5-6 to play one round of Disney mini-golf will set you back $70ish - at a timeshare, it can be free. Timeshares give so many free options that you don't need to go anywhere for and you can spend a day relaxing.

I agree 100%! We far prefer timeshares because of the amenities they offer than individually owned vacation homes. Timeshares provide more of a resort/vacation feel to us. Private homes in private home communities don't offer the atmosphere we prefer.

I agree 100%! We far prefer timeshares because of the amenities they offer than individually owned vacation homes. Timeshares provide more of a resort/vacation feel to us. Private homes in private home communities don't offer the atmosphere we prefer.

Not to agitate too much, but I am very curious about this, and several people have mentioned it.

As stated in one of my previous posts I have used my parent's timeshare in Orlando (the timeshare they have is in Iowa, but it is pretty easy to exchange a week from there to Orlando), and in other places too. I don't see any difference between renting a condo or home in Windsor Hills and using an exchanged week that my parents let me use at a different resort. Did I miss something? Is it because it was a week that was exchanged from another timeshare location? Is it because I did not own the timeshare week myself?

Most of the homes/condos I have stayed in near Disney are not random private homes in residential neighborhoods... they are in resort communities. In fact, many timeshare people rent their timeshare week to others through VRBO or other similar service, which is making it harder to exchange these days... so I don't see how renting a condo in that case would be any different at all...

Color me confused... What am I missing?

Ed

Not to agitate too much, but I am very curious about this, and several people have mentioned it.

As stated in one of my previous posts I have used my parent's timeshare in Orlando (the timeshare they have is in Iowa, but it is pretty easy to exchange a week from there to Orlando), and in other places too. I don't see any difference between renting a condo or home in Windsor Hills and using an exchanged week that my parents let me use at a different resort. Did I miss something? Is it because it was a week that was exchanged from another timeshare location? Is it because I did not own the timeshare week myself?

Most of the homes/condos I have stayed in near Disney are not random private homes in residential neighborhoods... they are in resort communities. In fact, many timeshare people rent their timeshare week to others through VRBO or other similar service, which is making it harder to exchange these days... so I don't see how renting a condo in that case would be any different at all...

Ed

I agree. I think a lot of people presume that a condo/townhome/non-timeshare is just some single family home in the middle of a country road, or is in a typical suburban subdivision. I have seen a few of these, but they are very few. I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that most of the true residential subdivisions are zoned as such. Homeowners aren't allowed to use them as rental properties. The overwhelming majority of condos/townhomes privately owned that are rented for vacationers are set up exactly like a timeshare community. It's large buildings with multiple units in each one. They're typically gated communities and have lots of amenities. They have community pools, clubhouses, coordinated activities, playgrounds, etc... The difference is that the units can be owned individually instead of as a timeshare, but everything else is exactly the same.

Ed

For us, timeshare properties have more activities available at the resort and more amenities. There are about 7 pools at WBC, children's activities, miniature golf, movies by the pool, game room, splash area for kids, karaoke, etc. Vistana has at least 5 pools, children's activities, game room, store, bar, etc. The vibe at these resorts is more resort/vacation like IMO. We far prefer the liveliness of these resorts over a privately owned vacation condo. We also feel that the timeshare resorts are better kept than the private homes we've stayed at.

Windsor Hills has 1 pool (unless you have a pool home, then 2), a game room, a movie theater and a small store/bar. Windsor Palms offers just about the same as Windsor Hills but their pool is smaller and doesn't have a slide. In the past when we've stayed at WH and WP, the condos we've stayed in haven't been kept up as well as the timeshare resorts we've stayed in. The furnishings are more worn and less luxurious than the timeshares we've stayed in, the dinnerware is mismatched, sometimes there isn't enough silverware for 8 people when the condo is advertised as sleeping 8. Minor annoyances for sure, but enough to make timeshare rentals our number one choice and private condo rentals our second choice.

Have stayed many times at Bonnett Creek and Sheraton Vistana Resort and NEVER received any kind of housekeeping. Even when I have stayed with folks in their Marriott timeshares they have to pay extra for housekeeping to come. It's fine with me but I don't think it's ever an assumption.

I think that @edolee and @Gr8t Fan comments point simply to the variability. @Gr8t Fan mentions the top two (arguably) timeshare resorts and @edolee mentions the top resort home community. Not sure where @edolee stayed in a TS, but there is a wide range of options with widely variable amenities. We also own weeks at Silver Lake which is more laid back than our Vistana ownership. Like them for different reasons, but we stay at Vistana a heck of a lot more because of the vibe and quality.

Hopper, Vistana offers regular daily housekeeping if booked as a hotel stay included in the price, or they generally offer a free daily breakfast instead if you forgo the housekeeping. If you book as timeshare exchange, then it is a mid-week towel change and tidy, but daily housekeeping is available at extra cost. It's available if you want it.

A little bit about us. We are a family of 3. DD is 10. When we go on vacation, she is with us the whole time. We need to purposefully make time for her to be able to find and play with other kids. Villas/homes with no real community grounds does not allow much for this. We tend to seek out a resort to accommodate this requirement. All Disney resorts make this easy, but the cost increase is not worth it. We look for the best values and they typically lead us to Wyndham Bonnet Creek. With our requirements, there are tons of families there with kids. There are all kinds of daily activities for kids and she has the chance to meet and play with others. The last time there, she met a girl her age that was in a similar situation (siblings much older or much younger). They were there just to vacation at the resort and not go to parks. We made daily plans to meet up back at the resort so they could play. They found other kids to play with too. They all get together to do the resort activities.

Others can make their pros/cons of all places. For my family, being in a resort type atmosphere is a priority. If it was a large group going, a house/villa would definitely be a possibility.

We really enjoyed Bonnet Creek (a timeshare), lol!, on our last Disney vacation. We are staying at the Doubletree Suites in Disney Springs next week with the deal through Mousesavers.com that gets us the room discount, waived parking fee, and free breakfast. We've stayed onsite, at Bonnet Creek, and are trying this now cause we don't need a condo this trip but still want some more space and a deal!

Others can make their pros/cons of all places. For my family, being in a resort type atmosphere is a priority. If it was a large group going, a house/villa would definitely be a possibility.

I feel like I'm being repetitive, but again your statement above is going on the belief that a house/villa is on some rural country road with no neighbors around. That's not the case at all. Most of them are in "resort" type places like you describe. Almost everyone in the villa/condo/house setting are vacationing families and there are kids everywhere. Our 3 kids have met a ton of other children while swimming in the community pool at the condos/villas that we rent. Again, nothing against timeshares, they're in that setting for sure, but so are most private rental homes/condos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter