Suggestions considering our "limitations"

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by AAmom, Mar 24, 2013.

1. AAmom

AAmom Earning My Ears

We are still missing 3 nights of dinner reservations because I am not sure what to choose. Our group has the following limitations: no buffet( granpa refuses to eat at them) , no signature restaurants (we have reviewed menus and just have too many picky eaters, &/or are worried they arent the place for kids), and we have 4 children in the group under age 5. I know every restaurant in Disney welcomes kids...but so does Mortons, doesnt mean I woudl take a 3 year old there. :)We also expect decent food if we do a table service reataurant. If the food is below average, we might as well save the money and just do a quick service meal. We are not on the dining plan and we will have park hopper. We have reservations for Ohana, Teppen Edo, Mama Melrose, and Raglan Road. Appreciate guidance.:)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Quin

Quin DIS Veteran

Grandpa won't do buffets, but how does he feel about family-style service? That would open up Garden Grill in Epcot for a character meal, LTT (dinner) in MK, and HDDR (Signature price, yes, but good basic-style food plus entertainment for the whole family).

4. jennylyn_b

jennylyn_b Disney Fan for Life :)

La Hacienda in Epcot

The Turf Club at Saratoga Springs Resort

50s Primetime in HS

Via Napoli in Epcot

These are all great choices for food and families. Some of our favorites.

5. ZoZo

ZoZo DIS Veteran

I like Kona Cafe a lot. I have also heard good things about Grand Floridian Cafe, but haven't eaten there myself. I plan to try it my next trip.

6. seasidespences

seasidespences Mouseketeer

We are trying Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch next trip...have hear food things about their lunch...an option for lunch on your MK day.

7. seasidespences

seasidespences Mouseketeer

Whoops...just re-read your post...you're looking for dinner, sorry...in that case, what about BOG for dinner?

8. CarrieR

CarrieR DIS Veteran

If you are looking for not park-typical food, we really like Captain's Grille. Also, maybe look at the menu for The Wave? We eat primarily lunches so I'm a bit at a loss.

Eta: we love the Plaza. It's "just" sandwiches, but it's priced like a CS.

9. disney11fan

disney11fan DIS Veteran

try wolfgang pucks express at downtown Disney. it's pretty good

10. MrsDrewsky

MrsDrewsky DIS Veteran

Yak and Yeti

I second Liberty Tree Tavern

Rose and Crown

The kids might enjoy Whispering Creek Canyon

11. shaycamp21

shaycamp21 DIS Veteran

WPE in DTD is very good but if you are looking for table service Wolfgang Pucks TS restaurant is awesome too.
    I second Kona Cafe at the Poly.
    We also have fun and pretty good food at Whispering Canyon Cafe.
    Olivia's at Key West was one of our hidden gems too.

12. theduhaimes

theduhaimes Mouseketeer

I would also suggest T-Rex. It is a TS and my kids love it!

13. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

They do limit kids at one place, Victoria&Albert's, which means the places that don't have that restriction actually do welcome them. Now if the menus don't make you happy, then don't go there.

T-rex is fun but with 4 littles the chances are high that someone would end up scared. It's a LOUD place and there are "meteor showers" and dinosaurs...it can be really overwhelming.

We really like the Brown Derby. But we only get one thing there, the coconut tofu noodle bowl, and we don't use the dining plan (if we did we would pay OOP for that restaurant...two TS credits for the noodle bowl, LOL). It looks fancy, but you don't have to BE fancy, LOL.

Love Kona for breakfast, though that's not what you're wanting.

Gosh, everything else on our "must do" list doesn't work for you, and the rest is CS (like Sunshine Seasons and Columbia Harbour House).

14. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

Epcot has Via Napoli, Rose and Crown and San Angel Inn.
    DHS has SciFi Diner
    Resort dinners -- Kona Cafe, Whispering Canyon Cafe.

15. Eliza'sMom

Eliza'sMom Mouseketeer

Garden Grill and Via Napoli are two of our favorites.

16. nadira36

nadira36 DIS Veteran

We take our kids to signature dining - the youngest has been 9 mos our oldest is now 6 - we go every year and dine at Signature. Kids are welcomed very heartily (though we do try for earlier reservation times so our kids are less likely to be crazy). Both of our last 2 trips, as well as our upcoming trip we'll have 5 kids age 7, 6, 4, 4, and 2 at signature. Citricos has been our fav with Jiko a close second, Many love le cellier, the food is good, but to us it isn't worth a signature label - maybe b/c we're Canadian? :rotfl:

Otherwise, you already have our fav: Raglan Road.

Coral Reef at EPCOT or Garden grill (family style, but quite nice). We also love La Hacienda (inside the mexico pavilion).

We all enjoyed Kouzinna - On Boardwalk and Kona - Polynesian (their ginger crusted steak is great - and if they ever added the duck to the menu it's the best ever - if Katrina is the chef).

17. disnmooner2013

disnmooner2013 DIS Veteran

Sanaa @ AKL - only restaurant in Disney World where you can view animals while eating, and has very good food. I know you say you have picky eaters but they do have a fish and a steak options. If you do go to Sanaa go while it is light outside.

Kona Cafe @ Polynesian - Excellent breakfast (best brekfast in all of Disney World) and is know for its tonga toast and macadamia nut pancakes among many other delicious choices. Also very good for dinner.

Via Napoli @ Epcot - IMO only good pizza on Disney property

WPE or Earl of Sandwich @ DD - very good options and good food. Both are counter service

Yak & Yetti @ AK - very good food

18. tarheelmjfan

tarheelmjfan <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue>

MK: Honestly, CRT dinner is the only place I would consider above avg. for a full meal at dinner. Plaza Restaurant is very good for what they sell, if you don't mind sandwiches for dinner. We don't mind Tony's for a lunch spot, but I wouldn't waste a dinner on it. LTT dinner is very similar to Cracker Barrel, except there's no menu to choose from. If you really like CB, you'll like LTT.

AK: Yak & Yeti. If that type of food doesn't appeal to your group, try Rainforest Cafe.

DHS: You have it covered. If you need a 2nd meal there, Hollywood Brown Derby is the best restaurant in the park by far. Since you're not using DDP, you could order as much or as little as you like. Although it's a signature restaurant, it's very kid friendly. I don't think your kids could possible be worse than some of the kids I've seen there. ;) At least you care about their behavior in nice restaurants, which says a lot about your parenting skills. Kudos to you.

Epcot: I see you have Teppan Edo. If you're looking for another Epcot restaurant, Les Chefs de France would be our first choice of the non-signature restaurants based on food alone. It has a bustling atmosphere. San Angel Inn has an outstanding atmosphere & the food is pretty good for authentic Mexican. It's not Tex-Mex. It is very dark in there, if anyone in your party has a hard time seeing. Tutto Italia is pretty good, but we don't feel it's worth the OOP prices. We'd rather add a little $ to what we would have paid there & have a signature meal. If everyone in your party likes pizza, you should try Via Napoli. It's very reasonable for a Disney restaurant.

DTD: We like House of Blues, but it can get very loud in there. If that doesn't bother you, we think the food is worth the trip. We actually prefer the food over Raglan Road, but I always recommend going with your first choice.

It would help to know which hotel you're staying in. That would help with restaurant suggestions in the area.

19. juliebug1997

juliebug1997 DIS Veteran

Garden Grill, Via Napoli, Coral Reef.

20. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

I didnt read the previous posts, sorry if this has been repeated...

grandpa doesnt do buffets, but what about all-you-can-eat? Ohana is an all you can eat restaurant. I personally find the quality of the food to be below average.

Via Napoli & Tutto Italia are both very good, Via is my fave thou. Delicious!

Chefs de France is also wonderful! The bonus is that the kids will get to see Remy! (Lunch only, Remy does his last round at 520pm).

We also like Teppan Edo. Yum! And its quite entertaining.

21. AAmom

AAmom Earning My Ears

Thanks Everyone. I am the OP, and you all have given me some good suggestions. I am gonna go look at the menus now! Someone asked where we were staying- Shades of Green, close to the Polynesian