• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestion for the Adventurers Club

undertheseas

DIS Veteran
I've noticed on several of the PI closing threads that lots of people like the AC but don't go because they are traveling with small kids. Why can't Disney reopen it but not as a bar and let the entire family go? I think that would be a fun place to have dinner and hang out for a while, they could treat it as something dinner and entertainment similar to the Hoop-Dee-Do or Luau. Yes it would have to be cleaned up but I think it would be fun. What do you think?

I've noticed on several of the PI closing threads that lots of people like the AC but don't go because they are traveling with small kids. Why can't Disney reopen it but not as a bar and let the entire family go? I think that would be a fun place to have dinner and hang out for a while, they could treat it as something dinner and entertainment similar to the Hoop-Dee-Do or Luau. Yes it would have to be cleaned up but I think it would be fun. What do you think?

what about those who don't have kids??? Who chose not to have kids? Who go and drop a grand+ a trip (and not on alcohol either)? Why do they need another show like Luau and Hoop-Dee-Do??? Disney is not just for kids or those with them.

We are a couple without kids. We have gone to WDW 6 times where we both have stayed on property and 4 other trips solo for whatever other reason that may have given us the chance to go over the past 9 years. Our usual stay has us leaving $5,000 to $13,000 in the Mouse's hands. At most, we spend $150 on alcohol and that was the year we bought wine to bring home from the F&W Fest.

We love WDW. But, part of that love was that we could go to PI and spend time at the AC or CW for hours without feeling like we were out of place or in an unsafe area, unlike here closer to home. For us, there is nothing that compares to the AC experience. Yes, I can find something close to the CW experience, but it will never be the same as the Disney spin on improv.

I have been thinking long and hard recently about our vacation future. We made the decision already to skip WDW in 2009, but we had made the decision to skip going on 2007 and went anyway and we were not going again until December, but I went in April and we are going in September. We do love the Mouse, but after this year when I will have been 3 times, I can say that without the option of the AC or CW, there isn't much draw for us to go to DTD and/or WDW. A large part of our total WDW experience includes time to be ADULTS without being surrounded by children.

I think that Disney made a big mistake on this one if they want to keep DINK's happy. We have money for lodging, that will most likely be spent renting a house next time. We have money for the parks, that will most likely be spread around Orlando next time. We have money for food and alcohol that will most likely be spent around Orlando next time. We have money for dog boarding that could be spent putting our three babies into the new doggie resort, that will be saved by renting a house.

Disney, you just messed up. You just lost thousands of our dollars by taking away the total onsite experience for the adults. It's sad really.

Keep the concept, move the club. It would be a great addition to Jelly Rolls, ESPN and Big River Brew Works at the Boardwalk. Who knows, could be functional use for the space Atlantic Dance currently wastes.

I would regularly spend $400 a WEEK at Pleasure Island between drinks for myself and my party... etc.

Where's that money going on future trips to Orlando?

HINT: Not Disney..

Children are permitted in the Adventurers Club.

Personally, I would rather see it go on its way than have it revamped into another family dinner show, the kind you can get at Walt Disney World and all over Orlando. That, in my eyes, would not constitute "saving" it.

This is my prediction and my prediction only but if it comes true, I'm going to say "I told you so" next year.

I don't think the Adventurer's Club or the Comedy Warehouse is going to be gone forever. I predict that both of them will reopen, probably with different names, as part of the "new" Pleasure Island. The concepts will still be the same but the content will be toned down to something that would be acceptable on the Disney Cruise Line. I also predict that there will be special "adult only" shows just like on the Cruise Line.

Disney isn't stupid. They know the adult only crowd is out there and very large. Singles, couples who want a night out without the kids (you really think Disney will let their kids clubs suffer?), empty nesters, and those who just flat out don't have kids.

Let's just take a step back, breathe deeply, and wait to see what happens.

I am actually looking forward to no more posts about "Is the Adventurer's Club or the Comedy Warehouse OK for kids?" and the replies after that which can get quite nasty.

This is my prediction and my prediction only but if it comes true, I'm going to say "I told you so" next year.

I don't think the Adventurer's Club or the Comedy Warehouse is going to be gone forever. I predict that both of them will reopen, probably with different names, as part of the "new" Pleasure Island. The concepts will still be the same but the content will be toned down to something that would be acceptable on the Disney Cruise Line. I also predict that there will be special "adult only" shows just like on the Cruise Line.

Disney isn't stupid. They know the adult only crowd is out there and very large. Singles, couples who want a night out without the kids (you really think Disney will let their kids clubs suffer?), empty nesters, and those who just flat out don't have kids.

Let's just take a step back, breathe deeply, and wait to see what happens.

I am actually looking forward to no more posts about "Is the Adventurer's Club or the Comedy Warehouse OK for kids?" and the replies after that which can get quite nasty.

I applaud you for your very optimistic post. :thumbsup2

While I'm disappointed myself to see PI go when I haven't had the chance to see it yet, and was so looking forward to it, I am really hoping what you say is what happens.

It would seem likely to me that they'd tone down the nightclub approach, but hopefully will still have some adult-only things as well.

I'll be waiting and watching, but if the newer PI doesn't happen for 2 years, then there will be nothing for me and DBF there when we go :sad1:

In the email I sent to Guest Relations I suggested leaving it as a stand alone place. We never wanted to pay the full price of PI just to go there. We don't drink and we don't do clubs but this place was special. They really should keep it. I think they could charge a cover and get people to go.

I have been going to Adventurers Club for the last 5-6 years now. And I have seen more and more kids there for the last 3 years or so. There is no food, and you can get kids drinks. And up to about 10 or 10:30ish pm it is not as adult- after that it gets more so. In April there was a little girl, about 6-7 that goes to AC so often that the CMs know her by name. She is eithe hard of hearing/learning disabilities? or something. Well behaved, but likes the CMs to pay attention to her. She and her dad were there till 10ish. I have seen kids from newborn to 9 there very often. I have taken my now DS, 17 there for the last 5 years... with a group of older kids-17 to 21 at that time. Some of the kids were CMs at the parks... I did not read that AC was going to be closed, and just checked the offical WDW web site(not often as up to date as you would expect/wish!), and they said the Comedy club and AC would not be going away...
Will be intresting to see what happens... there were rumors a year or 2 ago that both would be gone last fall....

I believe this would KILL the experience. PI was doomed from the moment they dropped the rule not allowing minors at night. When they opened the island up to families it changed the vibe and destroyed the original concept. I know that we stopped going and I am sure many others did too. There already is a place without a bar in WDW and its called the Magic Kingdom. By the way neither my wife nor I are drinkers but enjoyed the adult atmosphere the old PI offered

That might work - sort of. An option would be to create a larger venue for the AC and essentially make an "adults" side and a "kids" side, where the kids side was similar in theme, but effectively another "Kids Club" like at some of the resorts. It would also be a money maker with the (what is it now, almost $12/hour per kid) fee for kids. Now, depending on size, that still might mean spaces filling up on the kids side - but it would still be an option instead of parents bringing their kids into the AC as is done now.

I only have two problems with your prediction - and I posted this in another PI/AC thread. The first is that Disney does know what's going on, even though a lot of people think this is a dumb plan - at least in terms of the AC if nothing else. I can't imagine them NOT expecting backlash on the PI decision, at least in terms of the AC. Losing the dance clubs are one thing - those aren't especially "Disney" - but the AC is uniquely Disney - and there is a far greater probability of people getting angry when something like that is lost. Since I would think Disney knows this - why wouldn't they make some sort of announcement (like what they mentioned about Portobello and Fulton's being revamped and remaining) as a way of preventing the negative reaction from the public? Disney doesn't like negative press - and that's what they are getting in terms of the AC.

That leads into the second reason - I have said that this reeks of Mr. Toad all over again. When you know a decision isn't going to be popular and it's already a done deal - give as little time as possible between the announcement and the closing. Rumours have been around for over a year about PI - but a LOT of them seemed to have a caveat about Disney probably keeping the AC. Now, all of a sudden, with only three months notice, Disney is shutting down the PI clubs - INCLUDING the AC. Three months isn't enough time to really organize a strong protest.

No announcement about its future + short warning time = bad news.

Now, this is only my own opinion - and I might be (and hope I am) wrong.

I would continue to buy the 'Plus' options on our hopper passes just to do CW and AC, actually I'd settle for AC alone. There may be multiple reasons to close the dance clubs, but they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. The AC is unique in the world, and I don't mean WDW. I can't believe we'll never decend those stairs and enter that world again. BTW, Carl, who was our favorite Emil years ago and has been doing an over-the-top Otis the last few times we've been there, was doing a turn with the World Showcase Players last Oct. I hope he stays on in some humourous role.

Bill From PA

Personally, I would rather see it go on its way than have it revamped into another family dinner show, the kind you can get at Walt Disney World and all over Orlando. That, in my eyes, would not constitute "saving" it.

I completly agree, and the above sums up my thoughts perfectly

Thanks for your opinions and I appreciate that you kept it nice :goodvibes Now, who wants to babysit for me so I can go to the AC on our trip over Labor Day? :lmao:

What you describe would not be the Adventurers' Club, sorry. Why can't the adults have something besides R rated movies to enjoy without children?

As several of us have said,some children have been going to AC for years! It has let kids in forever. And in my last 4 visits, from April this year, to the AC there were kids there each and every time. True MOST were gone by about 10:30pm, but they were there. And it wasn't just one or two kids, 2 weeks ago on a Wed night there was 4 families that had kids from 6yo up to 12yo. We had our kids, but they are now 22, and 16 11/12 yo.... but both have gone for the last 4-5 years!

Anyone send this over to the Gay Day site? One of the best times we all ever had was during GayPride week 2 or 3 years ago. The AC was a rocking that night!

I think the MK hotels need a great night club and right on the Monorail,it would fit in great as an Adult only club at the Polynesian.

As several of us have said,some children have been going to AC for years! It has let kids in forever. And in my last 4 visits, from April this year, to the AC there were kids there each and every time. True MOST were gone by about 10:30pm, but they were there. And it wasn't just one or two kids, 2 weeks ago on a Wed night there was 4 families that had kids from 6yo up to 12yo. We had our kids, but they are now 22, and 16 11/12 yo.... but both have gone for the last 4-5 years!

Anyone send this over to the Gay Day site? One of the best times we all ever had was during GayPride week 2 or 3 years ago. The AC was a rocking that night!

That's why I suggested creating a Kid's Club like they have at the Deluxe resorts beside a revamped Adventurers Club.

As long as the downstairs remains the same, and there is a separate admission to get into that - and, even better, it is restricted to adults - then I say that Disney should do whatever the H they want with the rest of it.

Some rumours floating around... an AC themes restuarant taking over the space vacated by BET Soundstage Club.

Go for it. There is so much potential in an AC themed restaurant - from animatronic animal heads by the tables - they could take your order! - to having the waitstaff take on the "character" of the Club - although not quite to the degree of the actors in the actual Club.

Seriously, for everyone who really wants more shopping/dining and the clubs gone at PI - there is still a goldmine in the AC Club.

Restuaruant - Open from 11:00 am to say 10 to 11:00 pm most days - I think this would be a high draw for ADR's - and a great choice for a Family Friendly dining experience. Especially if they went with the animatronics.

The Original Club - Keep this. Also, keep the cover charge. Anyone can go to the restaurant, but anyone wishing to go to the Club as an honourary member for the evening has to pay the cover - $20 to $25 for the show they put on is more than reasonable - provided that allows for same-night re-entry ability. And, return the Club to adults only (the non-drinking 18 allowance should remain, I think). Since kids can't come in any longer...

The New Junior Adventurers Club. Just like a deluxe resort Kid's Club, but with the AC theme. It should be open during the same hours as other Kid's Clubs - and they could probably get away with charging even more than those - if they play up the theming and quality of services in there. If they had movies on continuously - like Lion King, Atlantis, Tarzan, Jungle Book, etc., and had some animatronics, crafts, games - the works... it could become one of the most popular Kids Clubs at WDW.

Consider it's location - if they provide more dining options at DTD, and maybe a couple of those are upscale, less kid oriented restaurants - parents might like the ability to send the kids to the Kids Club (which provides dinners) while they have a nice dinner out - but then everyone was still able to go to DTD and shop and etc. I could see a JAC charging up to $15/hour per kid.

Now, put ALL of that together, and tell me how this isn't a fully Family Friendly Disney operation and - I think - having a huge money making potential.

So, if PI returns with NO AC, and nothing but "Chains" renting space, then we will know that Disney's decision was all about the easy dollar, rather than investing in something uniquely Disney that, with a little work, could become a fantastic place that the whole family could go to on any given day.

Anyway, end of rant.

Esdras, your idea is exactly what I have been hoping for, as well! I wouldn't object at all to an Adventurers Club themed restaurant. And if the imagineers were involved in it, imagine what they could do! It could be amazing. I would prefer that it not be strictly a dinner show, but rather a restaurant with entertainment elements. That way it wouldn't have set times for seatings and people might go more than once a trip. Have the Adventurers from the Club come through occasionally and have new characters (the servers and animatronics) that are exclusive to the restaurant area. Do a show on a stage in the restaurant (or spread throughout the restaurant) every hour or so like they do in Biergarten.

Anything would work on the menu - exotic offerings from all over the world, Chinese food (The House of Wong section of the menu, complete with Duck Sauce ;) ). The kids' menu could even have Hathaways All-American grilled cheese. Serve the signature drinks in the restaurant as well as the Club. Let the Yakoose preside over both the restaurant and the Club, the way the heads used to at Country Bear Jamboree and the Mile Long Bar. (In fact, isn't that where the Yakoose came from? So he's used to that!:goodvibes )

Keep the Club itself as much like it is as possible. Keep the cover charge or sell passes. Keep the more adult humor in the Club. (Though it is Disney; I've never seen anything vulgar at the Club and I'm sure that wouldn't change!)

As far as the Junior Adventurers Club, I love the idea. But I have an alternative if they don't want to get into the hassles of childcare. Early in the evening - from 6:00 till 9:00, have a more family friendly feed to the Club, similar to the old Welcome Party. After 9:00, no more kids and revert back to the more adult feel.

It's the best of both worlds, and the restaurant would increase new traffic to the Club while the Club's loyal following would ensure that the restaurant would thrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter