Suggest Dinner for our last night! All opinions wanted!

IndianaRRT

Mouseketeer
Calling all planners, organizers, and Type A vacation personalities!

DH surprised me with 5 nights at WDW for my 40th birthday :jumping1: (He is an exceptional man, thank you for noticing...) We have an ADR for dinner on our last night, which is Thursday 4/2, but like any good DISer, I'm rethinking. So please weigh in with your suggestions. What would YOU do on the last night of your birthday trip?

Here are some (possibly) helpful facts about us and this occasion:

--DH is a Disney fan too. Our 16 y/o DD, same. Our 18 y/o DS is tolerant and loves his mother. He also is willing to play along because he would like us to continue signing college tuition checks. :teacher: So no small children in this party and no Debbie Downers

--I won't be at WDW for my actual birthday (which is Easter Sunday), but 4/2 is awfully close.

--Only food allergies in this group are to honeydew and cantaloupe.

--We plan to be at EPCOT that day. We love the food there, but we are open to any other parks or resorts for dinner. (We have hoppers.)

--DS and I share a birthday, so I'd love it if he found dinner fun and yummy as well. (And we're talking an almost 19 y/o college football player. There's not much the boy won't eat if it holds still long enough.)

--This is not our first rodeo, but there's much we haven't tried.

--We're staying at POR.

I'm excited to hear your ideas, and thank you for taking a moment to respond!

Thanks for the laugh, your comments regarding your son are priceless.

My wife has a similar birthday and she loves the Flower & Garden Show at Epcot.

I would rarely recommend traveling too far within Disney unless you are OK taking a taxi or having a late'ish dinner time to accommodate a lengthy bus ride.

As you've mentioned, staying in Epcot is an option. But if you're looking to leave Epcot, anyplace along Boardwalk or vicinity is within walking distance to the Swan & Dolphin which have the best food at Disney (that is not Victoria & Albert). Also, since these Signatures are not part of Disney Dining Plan, you will likely have fewer small children in the dining room and a more relaxed meal overall since table-turnover is not a driving factor. Oh, and if walking from Epcot to Swan & Dolphin, your son can stop in at ESPN and grab a plate of Nachos or Wings before going to dinner (I was 19 once too).

There are four Signatures inside Swan & Dolphin:
BlueZoo - our personal favorite with a seafood-centered menu that includes raw shellfish, grilled whole fish, and many other delightful options. Best bread basket at Disney and the Tempura String Beans are fun too.
Shula's - maybe more fitting for the 19 y.o. son - chose here and maybe he'll think you care. Opened by long since retired Coach Don Shula from the undefeated NFL Miami Dolphins, the manly room serves mostly red meat - prime steak. Lobsters are available, but I have first-hand experience of their running out early; if you want lobster, make certain to order ahead.
Il Mulino - great Italian. They do some of the little things like provide an 'amuse bouche' of chunks of Parmesan cheese and sliced meats like salami; a digestif of Limoncello as well at the end of your meal (not for your 19 y.o. son). The Veal Chop with Arugala salad atop is a family favorite, along with Ricotta Italian-style cheesecake.
Kimono's - a high-end sushi place that is not ideally suited for a 19 y.o. with an endless appetite.

Pot luck:
Four Seasons recently opened inside Disney World and they have the option of Capa restaurant - a Spanish steakhouse that serves Tapas-style appetizers, sliced meats like Imberico Ham (at $35/lb.), and of course, steaks.....with a 17th floor view over Disney World. I am headed there myself this summer, so I cannot yet offer a recommendation.

Happy almost birthday. I just spent my 40th in the world last September and has a wonderful trip and some amazing food. My 2 fav meals of the trip were Cali Grill and Flying Fish. You can't beat the view and fireworks from MK while ding at Cali and of course the food is always amazing. Flying fish is a quick walk from Epcot and has some great seafood and non second options. I would think your kids would enjoy the "adultness" of both

Cali Grill is all about the experience. First time we had the whole package, amazing window seat, great service and food and of course Wishes. Second time was just ok, not so great table location, just ok service, food was good but not amazing... best thing was Wishes. It is expensive. We were there with our two young adult children (18 and 22).

Our best family dinner experience that all really enjoyed on that trip (May 2014) was: Les Chefs in France, had a 7:30 ADR, walked out ten min. prior to Illuminations, stood on bridge between France and Int. Gateway to watch show then walked out to the Boardwalk, great evening.

Was not a fan of the atmosphere at Ill Mulino although the food was very good. On another trip by far the best dinner of that trip was at Jiko. We made an evening of touring AKL, seeing the animals at sunset, dinner then hopped over to HS for late showing of F!

I'd get the F! package at Hollywood Brown Derby & hop over to DHS for dinner and the show. It's a super easy transport via the Epcot resort's boats or a quick bus ride.

I second having your birthday dinner at the Dolphin. Either at Shula's or Todd English's bluezoo. Then take a stroll around the Boardwalk (maybe stopping in at Jellyrolls) to top off the evening. A cab can easily take you back to your resort if the buses have stopped running for the night.

Not sure why your thread came to mind yesterday, but I thought, "A 19-year-old boy might like to see a belly dancer at this bday dinner." ;) What about a fun dinner in Morocco, since you'll already be in Epcot? DH & I had an awesome meal there & we'd go back in a heartbeat.

The best dinner I've ever had in Disney World has got to be Be Our Guest and nice convenient location to go out and see Wishes afterwards

My vote would be for Hoop dee do Revue at Wilderness lodge. If you take the monorail to MK, you can then take the ferry directly to the show. It is FUN, FUNNY, Entertaining and food is very good and LOTS of it! Not sure if you would be able to get a reservation this close to your date; but, definitely worth looking into. Happy Birthday to both you and your son!

If you have carnivores in your group, I strongly suggest 'Ohana at the Polynesian Resort. It is a ton of fun, the food is GREAT, and they'll fill you slap full! That was our "last supper" on the trip we just finished, and I'm thinking it might become our tradition. :)

If you are looking for a nicer meal, I would go with Yachtsman Steakhouse or one of the nicer restaurants at the Swan or Dolphin. If you would rather have something more casual, I would to to Raglan Road at DTD; the food and entertainment are both excellent.

My favorite special occasion restaurants are Cali grill, Narcoosees, And Flying Fish.
Also like Rose & Crown to watch illuminations if you get a patio seat.

Other just favorite restaurants: via Napoli, chefs de France

:thanks::thanks: to all who've replied so far with some wonderful ideas and maybe we'll get even more! I'm headed over to MDE to check on availabilities on all your suggestions. And thanks, too, for all the nice birthday wishes! I've already gotten so much pixie dust with DH's generous surprise.

I would vote for Le Cellier or Shulas. 19 year old boys love a good steak right? And nice places for a celebration.

I 2nd the Ohana recommendations. Fun atmosphere and all you can eat for your son. If you are wanting to stay in Epcot, Biergarten may be a fun experience. All you can eat there as well as all you can eat. Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter