• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sugary sweet temptations for diabetics and food allergy sufferers

old lady

DIS Veteran
I have been seeing a lot of sugary treats on Disney food blog during the Disney world anniversary and Halloween. It is not fair for us, diabetes who can’t eat sweets and people who are food allergy sufferers. Are there treats for us? Non- sugar snacks that are sweet, or gluten free, or lactose free?

yes there are you will have to ask at each place if you have food allergies for diabetes it is carb that raise BS level not just sugar. Sugar free can still be high sometimes higher in carbs then the none sugar free stuff

There are diabetic friendly cheesecakes at Sci-Fi and 50's prime time that were really good. I believe Grand Floridian has brought back the Pana Cotta, which is sugar free, so Olivia's may have as well and it is really good too.

Erron McKenna in Disney Springs has some options too.

All of the Starbucks locations can make sugar free frapracinnos (flavors may vary from location to.location).

Almost all of the ice cream places have at least one or two sugar free flavors.

And I don't remember where, but there was somewhere that did a non-alcoholic mixed drink that was sugar free.

In some of the candy shop, you can find boxed dark chocolate covered pretzels that are sugar free.

Before the pandemic, there were getting to be A LOT of options, unfortunately a lot are gone since the park reopened. One of the people who really was pushing them to do this started her own business during the closures to make ends meet and last I had heard didn't return to Disney, but you can find her and several others that will make sugar free treats (anything from cookies to cakes, pies, even cheesecakes) on a Facebook group called Ears For You that are cast members that were/are affected by the closures and they will deliver to Dis ey and other nearby resorts.

Also, a word of caution, almost everywhere at Disney World is switching from light and zero sugar lemonade to regular lemonade, so be sure to ask and confirm what they are using if you get lemmonade.

I have been seeing a lot of sugary treats on Disney food blog during the Disney world anniversary and Halloween. It is not fair for us, diabetes who can’t eat sweets and people who are food allergy sufferers. Are there treats for us? Non- sugar snacks that are sweet, or gluten free, or lactose free?

Lower carb desserts are an issue anywhere but sometimes all the extra walking can help balance out the extra carbs...to a point. My son has type 1 diabetes and just boluses extra for desserts - but also has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts and tree nuts so it's difficult to find any of the special treats that are safe for him to eat whenever we've been there. We've had the best luck at some table service restaurants where the chefs either can make something or they have a better idea of the allergen cross contamination risk of their pre-made items.

I'm a type 2 that maintains with strict diet and exercise. Very low carb, so there are mostly no "treats" that work for me. I do allow myself one indulge per day while I'm at disneyworld, but I stick to low carb the rest of the time. My go-to low carb snacks are iced coffee with sugar free vanilla, babybel cheeses, and turkey legs. Breakfast is just coffee w/ cream and lunches/dinners tend to be salads, bunless burgers, grilled chicken, meat and veggie type meals. My indulgences are:
Dole whip in MK
Blueberry mousse in AK (Pandora)
A fun alcoholic beverage in HS
Nothing special in Epcot, so I usually do a Joffrey's Kahlua-tini at some point.
Disney springs: ghirardelli salted caramel sundae

I find my sugar is fine if I eat these before evening and have plenty of time to walk them off. But, I'm well controlled with just the strict diet and exercise for about 3.5 years and normal weight. YMMV.

I was recently told (by a Chef) the boxed 50th anniversary macaroon is GF and the 50th Almond cheesecake is also GF. I also found out, locations may have more options available than listed on the mobile menus. (Food court locations-excluding CB)

Maybe, but it’s actually a really good question. We get posts here regularly about diabetics and healthier food alternatives in general. As a parent of a newly-diagnosed diabetic, I’m much more involved in such food choices than I was with just DH.

Maybe, but it’s actually a really good question. We get posts here regularly about diabetics and healthier food alternatives in general. As a parent of a newly-diagnosed diabetic, I’m much more involved in such food choices than I was with just DH.

agree with this. Even though I agree, the OP likes to post something “controversial” and then ghost, as a T2D this is still an important topic.

for me, my strategy at home is managing with exercise and a balanced diet. I’m not super low-carb, but I balance with veggies and have been working out daily (got my A1C down to non-diabetic level within 2 years of dx). I say this because what works for me may not and does not work for every T2D.

when I’m in Disney, I still try to do my best to keep a balanced diet. I usually order groceries so I can have breakfast in my room, which means I can control my diet for at least one meal. I try to balance lunch and dinner and get veggies where I can. The walking is more forgiving so I don’t stress quite so much if I go a little heavier on carbs. I keep snacks with me that keep my sugar stable throughout the day and are easy to eat while walking. I always have something should I go low unexpectedly. And for the sweets, again balance is key. If I have a particularly carb-heavy meal, I’ll usually forego dessert. But otherwiseI find I can usually get something in any park and the walking helps to offset it. I am also good about just having a bite or two of my husband’s desserts. So things like a dole whip in MK, I’ll usually just have a scoop of my husband’s instead of getting my own. One dessert I cannot resist is cheesecake, so that tends to be where I splurge. I usually look at the dessert options before I order dinner at a table service restaurant so I can decide if I want to go light on carbs in the entree to allow for dessert.

There are different strategies and so much of it is personal but I echo above that the extra walking does allow for a bit more freedom than in every day life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter