Sudden Loss of a Pet

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a handsome boy.

I am so sorry for your loss. I think your surviving dog will recover in time. Just like you.

:sad1: I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I know it hurts but it will get better each day even for his little buddy.

I know that dogs can mourn the loss of a friend. I've seen it firsthand. With time, though, they will recover just as you will.

You are in my thoughs and prayers.

Dogs do mourn...perhaps differently from people, but they know when one of their buddies are gone. I have seen it more than once. Keeping the other dog's routine the same, with extra love, will eventually make things right with her.

Hugs to you and your family. We put our dog down October 15th...he was 13 and had a brain tumor...and it is excruciating still.:sad1:

Hugs to you and your family, including your other dog. I, too, believe that dogs have the capability to grieve. I have seen it myself in dogs who lost a canine companion, a beloved owner, and even a bird.

we have dogs and love them..

Like I said, the should mourn the lost of the pet..

My point (which you missed) was what are you really going to do for the other dog? Loving the pet, does not make it more understanding of the situation. It is a dog, with a dog IQ. There is no dog therpy or counseling.

So I was saying just be normal with the surviving dog. Steady routine, whatever. You dont do anything special for him/her.

Sorry for the op lost, of course. Basicially you just be normal with the other dog

This is a lot nicer and more tactful post. I'm not sure why you didn't just write this to begin with. :confused3

I am so, so sorry. :grouphug: To you and your family and the other dog, too.

:hug: It is really hard to lose a furbaby. My Sheltie, Dandy, passed the day of my 16th birthday party. ( The day before my birthday) Although this has been years ago now I still remember how hard it was to have a party while I felt so sad. Over the years many more furbabies have come and crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Our other babies did mourn and look for their friend. The time frame was different for each of them. One dog was depressed for several weeks while another one just looked around and went on as if nothing had changed! (If dogs could shrug I would say he did this :confused3 then was over it!) Just give you baby some extra attention.

I'm so sorry for your loss..especially for your boys.

:grouphug: from me too. As many dogs as I've had, it's never easy losing one.

With regard to what to do about your puppy...we were in a situation once where we got a puppy when we already had an older dog (the dog was very old and we knew her time was coming soon). Needless to say, the puppy got very attached to the older dog. The older dog died a few months later, and the puppy sounded very much like yours, just kind of lost and lonely. The puppy was supposed to become an outdoor dog, but became an indoor dog because she was so lonely and just wanted to be with people!

Our solution was to get another puppy. While the first puppy never forgot the older dog (we kept the older dog's chain, and the puppy would be very defensive of it!), she enjoyed having a playmate, and she actually kind of took care of the younger puppy as if she was its older sister.

I know that's not a solution that will work for everyone and that it really depends on your specific situation, but just wanted to share that it worked for us at the time. A new puppy seemed to help all of us, particularly the puppy in mourning.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you and the family.:sad2:

What a terrible tragedy for you. We lost our furbaby back in July and it still hurts. You however, have another fur baby there to comfort and love. Dogs do mourn in their own way and I really do hope that your furbaby settles soon. Pile on the love and cuddles.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

A couple years ago my two year old cat had a sudden heart attack and died. He had a heart condition we were unaware of, and the vet said there wasn't anything we could've done if we had known. What made it worse was my four year old cat wandering around the house calling for him. DH and I were already crushed, but hearing Cassie look for him was more then I could take. The only thing that helped my family was to get another kitten relatively soon after it happened. Cassie took him under her wing, and my DH and I had someone little and helpless to focus on. Loki didn't replace my boy that had passed, but he filled in the hole in our hearts.

In hindsight, I'm so glad we got Loki when we did. He's my baby - I can't imagine if we would have waited and ended up with a different cat.

We lost our dog who was 8 y/o a couple of weeks ago. We have his sister and another dog. Both dogs have been mourning but getting a little better each day. Our vet says this is normal. We (my family) have been in a lot of mourning too. It does get better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter