• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Success Might Be Disney's Undoing

BeerMe

DIS Veteran
We have been here for 28 days and have been in the paks 24 days. The crowds have been very heavy for a good part of our visit - unlike other visits at this time of the year. What's more, we have heard people complaining a LOT about the crowds - primarily that they're upset about spending thousands of dollars on vacation and then only getting to ride a few rides! We've heard these comments in all the parks and we have heard them several times.

It has occurred to me that the crowds and not the prices might be Disney's undoing.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

What's more, we have heard people complaining a LOT about the crowds - primarily that they're upset about spending thousands of dollars on vacation and then only getting to ride a few rides! We've heard these comments in all the parks and we have heard them several times.

Don't worry, someone will be along momentarily to scold them (you'll have to stand in for them) for not slowing down, taking in the sites and going home happy that they got to spend thousands of dollars to study all the carvings on the World Tree and enjoy the The Citizens of Hollywood Cavalcade of Stars. :)

Disney still runs specials to get the parks to fill up, when it gets to the point that either
1) they feel it is getting too busy or

2 it is getting busy enough to make folks think twice about going this time of year Disney will most likely back off the specials or make them not so attractive.

They have done this in the past, started with pay for 4 days get three free then I think it went to pay for 5 get 2 free,

When free dinning started you could stay I think for only 1 or 2 days and get free dinning and the dinning plan was the same if you stayed value or deluxe and they changed that.

I think also more people are booking because they have forgotten that this is hurricane season, been a few years since central Florida has gotten hit with a major hurricane. They started these special originally because it was back to school time and hurricane season.

If it stays packed it will get adjusted in my opinion

good luck with the rest of your vaca.

goofydad621

It seems like October is officially not a low-crowd month anymore. September seems to be better.

I agree about the crowds, victim of their own success and all that. But if it gets too crowded, people will just back off and not come back, so they don't need to worry about it. And why would they with the $ they are making I guess.

Have to admit I'd like to spend that many days in FL, but not that many at Disney. And I LOVE Disney. We lived down there and had APs and could have gone every day if we wanted. Of course we had to drive 40 minutes to and from. Yes, I know, boo-hoo.
However, I'm agreeing with your observation about the crowds. Never saw so many complaints and suprised people about the crowds this time of year. We always tried to avoid holidays and long weekends and crowded times, because we preferred not to be sardines.
Now I'm thinking it will be even more difficult to find a time that isn't wall-to-wall Disney guests. There are plenty of things to do in FL but we'd have to pay to stay now that we are back in PA. I would have no trouble at all finding entertaining and relaxing things to do for a month.
Enjoy. At least you had enough time to repeat things that didn't go well because of crowds. And I honestly think it's time for Disney to back off a little on the specials ---- that said, we enjoyed the discounts we got as AP holders and FL residents.
:thumbsup2

Disney still runs specials to get the parks to fill up, when it gets to the point that either
1) they feel it is getting too busy or

2 it is getting busy enough to make folks think twice about going this time of year Disney will most likely back off the specials or make them not so attractive.

They have done this in the past, started with pay for 4 days get three free then I think it went to pay for 5 get 2 free,

When free dinning started you could stay I think for only 1 or 2 days and get free dinning and the dinning plan was the same if you stayed value or deluxe and they changed that.

I think also more people are booking because they have forgotten that this is hurricane season, been a few years since central Florida has gotten hit with a major hurricane. They started these special originally because it was back to school time and hurricane season.

If it stays packed it will get adjusted in my opinion

good luck with the rest of your vaca.

goofydad621

Makes sense.

I understand Disney wants the parks to be full. They make more money. But I sure don't like it. LOL

I think Goofydad is absolutely correct. Why doesn't Disney offer free dining in July? They don't have to. The parks are packed and no incentives are needed to get people to come. The lowest crowd times will be the dates Disney is offering the best discounts ("season" pricing plus other discounts)

OP makes a good point at whether or not the crowd levels will begin to create a negative situation for Disney. I don't know what that threshold will be and I suspect Disney is looking for that number too.

I think Goofydad is absolutely correct. Why doesn't Disney offer free dining in July? They don't have to. The parks are packed and no incentives are needed to get people to come. The lowest crowd times will be the dates Disney is offering the best discounts ("season" pricing plus other discounts)

OP makes a good point at whether or not the crowd levels will begin to create a negative situation for Disney. I don't know what that threshold will be and I suspect Disney is looking for that number too.

:thumbsup2

Agreed. Disney already has its infrastructure "sunk costs" in its parks. Every person they can fill into "all available space" is largely bottom-line profit. Disney is more appropriately concerned with putting a butt in every available seat across the year rather than building more rows to simply accommodate the busiest time.

While probably not intended, I bet Disney is looking forward to seeing how many people (like us) who will now have to be content with three major guaranteed attractions, rather than running/managing/rope dropping multiple fast passes throughout the day. This will free us up to spend more money, more freely dine, etc. Disney doesn't make money when I'm riding ToT 3 times, RnR 3 times, etc.

Pretty brilliant, actually.

You know, people go all the time in the summer and it is just as crowded if not more so than these past couple of weeks. People continue to go. Or, try Disneyland, there is no off-season because so many locals go. I think some of us are just spoiled by going at low-crowd times. There will still be an off-season, it just might not be October anymore. January maybe?

Agreed. Disney already has its infrastructure "sunk costs" in its parks. Every person they can fill into "all available space" is largely bottom-line profit. Disney is more appropriately concerned with putting a butt in every available seat across the year rather than building more rows to simply accommodate the busiest time.

While probably not intended, I bet Disney is looking forward to seeing how many people (like us) who will now have to be content with three major guaranteed attractions, rather than running/managing/rope dropping multiple fast passes throughout the day. This will free us up to spend more money, more freely dine, etc. Disney doesn't make money when I'm riding ToT 3 times, RnR 3 times, etc.

Pretty brilliant, actually.

WOW! Well argued and quite true. No one likes to be manipulated though, and we will have to see if people speak with their pocketbooks.

We took our 1st trip to Universal this April and booked a room for the night to get Express Pass. That is an amazing way to tour the parks and I happily paid the premium for the opportunity. In addition, the hotel experience was superior as well. Small things like being at the pool and waiters bring the food and drink to you, from a reasonably priced and fairly extensive menu. Beautiful grounds and the ability to walk or take a boat to both parks from any resort is fantastic. You are encouraged to use the facilities at any resort. Park hopping is a quick, short walk. Lastly, Universal continues to build, expand and renovate.

I still enjoy the "feel" of WDW better, but if it becomes even harder to enjoy the parks, I don't see many more trips in our future.:sad2:

WOW! Well argued and quite true. No one likes to be manipulated though, and we will have to see if people speak with their pocketbooks.

Agreed, but this is exactly what Disney did when they instituted FastPass in the first instance. Get people out of lines where people aren't spending any money. I think FastPass+ is just another step in that process. Disney would like nothing more than people to spent 10-15 minutes in every ride, thus freeing them up to spend money within the park.

"Manipulation" may be a little strong, but I definitely agree we are the "product."

So let me get this right... People are complaining because they have to wait at a theme park to ride the rides? Say it ain't so. We've been to WDW in the summer, fall (Sept), and Christmas day through New Years day and have never complained about the crowds. Why you may ask?? It's because we anticipated it being crowded. The only time it was not crowded was our September 2012 trip and according to all of the "crowd calenders" we picked a week where the average crowd level was a 3.

We always anticipate WDW or any theme park to be crowded. That's the business they are in. Get as many guests to visit to make as much $$$ as possible.

It's because we anticipated it being crowded.

This is exactly right, and why you're different than the folks who are "upset." The folks who are upset are the September/October people who are now facing something they intentionally successfully avoided over the years. (I'm one of those people, but not upset about it because I have 8 billion more important things to worry about in life... #FirstWorldProblems.)

So let me get this right... People are complaining because they have to wait at a theme park to ride the rides? Say it ain't so.

If I showed up to Disney and the standby for a ride was at 120 minutes (which is what was being reported by some), darn right I'd complain. Who wants to wait 2 hours for a 3 minute ride?

OP does have validity, because if Disney figures out to get crowd levels to a '10' at all times of the year, I can assure you I won't be going. If crowd levels are at a '10' year round, I personally think Disney should focus on expanding its parks/lands to have more things in order to spread people out a little. Expecting their parks to be so crowded all of the time is a little greedy IMO. There has to be a balance between crowds and enjoyment of the guest. No?

But alas, there will be plenty of people like you who like to go during those times that will go. So Disney will be just fine. Their bottom line will still increase (and at least my stock will go up).

But it is a little disappointing.

If I showed up to Disney and the standby for a ride was at 120 minutes (which is what was being reported by some), darn right I'd complain. Who wants to wait 2 hours for a 3 minute ride?

Apparently all the people in that line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter