• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Subway: Ordering off the menu??

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever ordered a meat combination that is not advertised as a specialty sub? Meaning could I order a turkey & salami sub? Or a grilled chicken & ham sub?

Just wondering if this is common before I confuse the Subway worker tomorrow lol!

Has anyone ever ordered a meat combination that is not advertised as a specialty sub? Meaning could I order a turkey & salami sub? Or a grilled chicken & ham sub?

Just wondering if this is common before I confuse the Subway worker tomorrow lol!

It should be just fine. I worked at Subway years ago, and we made whatever people ask for. :goodvibes

Back when I worked there about 7 years ago, there was no way to ring up combinations that were not on the menu. So we were not able to make sandwiches that weren't listed.

Back when I worked there about 7 years ago, there was no way to ring up combinations that were not on the menu. So we were not able to make sandwiches that weren't listed.

That's what I was wondering-how do they decide how to ring it up? Just charge for the more expensive meat? I would be fine with that.

My son managed a Subway when he was a college student, and one of his regular customers used to order the same sub on a regular basis: tuna fish with pepperoni. That was definitely not on the menu.;)

Of course. That is the only way my dd eats a sub. She never looks at the menu.

Depends on the cashier how they ring it up. Some will pick a sandwich and just do it that way or they charge for the meat and cheese. I don't pay much attention to it really.

Oh, she gets salami, provolone, pickles and lettuce.

I don't know the answer but everytime I go to Subway I kind of crack up because they can't seem to follow the menu. Example:

ME: (Pointing to the sign) I'd like a 6-inch Chicken Teriyaki sub on white.

SUBWAY: (Putting meat on the bread) Sure, what would you like on that?

ME: Uh, I'd like what comes on the Chicken Teriyaki sub. Whatever it is?

SUBWAY: Would you like cheese?

ME: Does the Chicken Teryaki normally come with cheese?

SUBWAY: (Looking at sign) No, I don't think so.

ME: Okay, no then.

SUBWAY: What toppings would you like?

ME: Whatever is on the Chicken Teriyaki?

SUBWAY: (Ponders the sign and adds no toppings).

SUBWAY: Okay what kind of sauce? Mayo, mustard?

ME: Well, how about teriyaki sauce?

This happens every time. It used to make me mad but now I find it kind of funny.

My DS has ordered a combination before. They have a way to charge for double meat, so they just rang it as if it was double of the same kind.

I don't know the answer but everytime I go to Subway I kind of crack up because they can't seem to follow the menu. Example:

ME: (Pointing to the sign) I'd like a 6-inch Chicken Teriyaki sub on white.

SUBWAY: (Putting meat on the bread) Sure, what would you like on that?

ME: Uh, I'd like what comes on the Chicken Teriyaki sub. Whatever it is?

SUBWAY: Would you like cheese?

ME: Does the Chicken Teryaki normally come with cheese?

SUBWAY: (Looking at sign) No, I don't think so.

ME: Okay, no then.

SUBWAY: What toppings would you like?

ME: Whatever is on the Chicken Teriyaki?

SUBWAY: (Ponders the sign and adds no toppings).

SUBWAY: Okay what kind of sauce? Mayo, mustard?

ME: Well, how about teriyaki sauce?

This happens every time. It used to make me mad but now I find it kind of funny.

But nothing actually "comes with" any type of sub. Whatever you see in the picture is just an example, nobody is trained that that is the way to make a certain sub. Every sub is made the way the customer wants and that's the way most customers like it. Once in a blue moon someone will ask to have it "just like the picture" but than proceed to say "Oh I don't want that" or "can you add this or that" pretty funny actually:rotfl2:

But nothing actually "comes with" any type of sub. Whatever you see in the picture is just an example, nobody is trained that that is the way to make a certain sub. Every sub is made the way the customer wants and that's the way most customers like it. Once in a blue moon someone will ask to have it "just like the picture" but than proceed to say "Oh I don't want that" or "can you add this or that" pretty funny actually:rotfl2:

Well, I am obviously discovering that!! I definitely agree with that philosphy when it comes to things like a turkey sub or the more generic items.

However, when they advertise and introduce their specialty subs (like the Chicken and Bacon Ranch or the Turkey and Bacon Avocado), it seems weird that I would have to then request ranch dressing or bacon or avocado. Those subs are designed to have a unique taste and you would think that if you ordered a sweet onion Chicken Teriyaki that you'd automatically get the teriyaki sauce?:confused3

My son managed a Subway when he was a college student, and one of his regular customers used to order the same sub on a regular basis: tuna fish with pepperoni. That was definitely not on the menu.;)

My ds12 gets tuna and pepperoni too! He gets it with yellow cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, pickles and ranch. Yuck!

I find they'll add whatever you want.

It never fails when I'm waiting in line, though ...

Customer: I'll have a ham and cheese.

Maker: White, wheat, or flat bread?

Customer Uh ... white.

Maker: Okay. (cuts, sets bread on counter)

.... long stare and silence ....

Maker: What would you like on that?

Customer: ... HAM AND CHEESE.

Maker: (adds ham, slides over to cheese but does not add any)

.... more silence ....

Maker: What kind of cheese?

Customer: (stares for a moment) I don't know! Cheddar. Cheddar's good.

Maker: (adds cheddar)

.... more silence and staring ....

Maker: Anything else?

Customer: (throws up hands) Well gee, how about MAYO or MUSTARD or LETTUCE or a TOMATO or like STUFF THAT GOES ON A FREAKING HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH!? WHY DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE A HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH? YOU WORK AT SUBWAY!!!

Maker: (adds mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato) Anything else?

Customer: ARRRGH! NO! Nothing else! Just ring it up so I can get out of this STUPID PLACE!

Maker: (wraps sandwich) That'll be $5.95.

Every. Single. Time.

:confused3

It really couldn't be that hard to have a certain number of "standard" sandwiches for people who request it. They design them for the commercials and menus. Obviously if someone orders chicken teriyaki, you should put teriyaki sauce on it. A meatball sub, yeah, they probably want sauce and mozzarella like you show on TV. Etc.

But sometimes I'll get the meatball sub with cheddar or provolone instead of mozzarella and a lot of veggies and ranch. If they just slapped together some "standard" meatball sandwich instead of asking me what I wanted they'd be making another. That's the only benefit to going to subway is the ability to customize to that extent.

And what goes on a ham and cheese sandwich varies. I personally don't like tomatoes so I don't want them on mine. I like the cucumber slices they have there - which a lot of people think is weird. And how would the worker magically know what kind of cheese the customer wants if they don't ask?

I find they'll add whatever you want.

It never fails when I'm waiting in line, though ...

Customer: I'll have a ham and cheese.

Maker: White, wheat, or flat bread?

Customer Uh ... white.

Maker: Okay. (cuts, sets bread on counter)

.... long stare and silence ....

Maker: What would you like on that?

Customer: ... HAM AND CHEESE.

Maker: (adds ham, slides over to cheese but does not add any)

.... more silence ....

Maker: What kind of cheese?

Customer: (stares for a moment) I don't know! Cheddar. Cheddar's good.

Maker: (adds cheddar)

.... more silence and staring ....

Maker: Anything else?

Customer: (throws up hands) Well gee, how about MAYO or MUSTARD or LETTUCE or a TOMATO or like STUFF THAT GOES ON A FREAKING HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH!? WHY DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE A HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH? YOU WORK AT SUBWAY!!!

Maker: (adds mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato) Anything else?

Customer: ARRRGH! NO! Nothing else! Just ring it up so I can get out of this STUPID PLACE!

Maker: (wraps sandwich) That'll be $5.95.

Every. Single. Time.

:confused3

It really couldn't be that hard to have a certain number of "standard" sandwiches for people who request it. They design them for the commercials and menus. Obviously if someone orders chicken teriyaki, you should put teriyaki sauce on it. A meatball sub, yeah, they probably want sauce and mozzarella like you show on TV. Etc.

Really? It sounds like there are some incredibly rude customers where you live if you witness this everytime you go to Subway.

Since this is only your 4th post on the Dis, I challenge you to post a new question like this, "What goes on a turkey sandwich?" Explain that you are having a party and you are going to serve turkey sandwiches and you want to know what to put on them. Then, just sit back and watch the fun Dis style! :lmao: The best posts will be the ones where people will refuse to even come to your party if you use mayo instead of mustard or cheese versus no cheese. The responses will make your head spin! You will quickly discover that there is no such thing as a "standard" sandwich.

Oh my goodness, YES. I feel like every time I've ever been to Subway, I've been stuck behind some poor person who has no idea what kind of condiments or vegetables they like. They get so lost. I've heard more than one person actually say "Can you just make it like the sign?! Whatever is on it on the sign!"
:lmao:

And "what kind of bread/cheese?" often gets answered with "REGULAR!" :laughing:

The responses will make your head spin! You will quickly discover that there is no such thing as a "standard" sandwich.

Oh, absolutely. But I understand Mama's point, because it's something I've witnessed myself at Subway very often. The choices are overwhelming for some that have either never been to Subway, or don't go often...they walk in expecting to just be able to order a sandwich that looks big and pretty like on TV, and then they're asked how they want to build that sandwich. It's like all common sense goes out the window and they no longer know what lettuce or tomatoes or peppers are. :laughing:

I think ya'll are missing the point of Subway. The whole concept is that its made fresh, you can see the toppings and you can have whatever you want in whatever combination you want.

They used to have a pizza sub. DS loved it but they quite advertising it. So, he just orders it will all the piece and parts that make up a pizza sub.

I think ya'll are missing the point of Subway. The whole concept is that its made fresh, you can see the toppings and you can have whatever you want in whatever combination you want.

Yes, I think we all understand the point, but the concept definitely seems too difficult for many people. Especially men...the totally confused ones are always men. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter