SubTropical Low expected in Bahamas-Update in Post #11

com_op_2000

DVC Member since '93; One Hour from WDW
Multiple weather forcasts :happytv: in the Orlando area are predicting a sub-tropical low that MIGHT turn into a TS over this coming weekend.
According to the the tracks posted, a low that is currently down below Cuba, will be coming up between Cuba and Key West over the next two-three day period, and then stalling out over the Bahamas this coming weekend.

I am SO SO SO nervous about this. Can you keep us updated? What are the chances it wil change? We are in Nassau Monday, Castaway Casy Tuesday, and WDW on Wed.
We missed CC last year I so want to get there tis time. I will be so disappointed if I am0 for 2 at CC

Please folks...........this happens year around .......a low forms....it could become a storm, even a regular low can be nasty..........a tropical low is really just a reverse wind circulation (counter clock wise).it can become a nasty strom.............

No sense worrying about what you can't control and at this time of year its VERY very very rare to become anything really nasty...not impossible......just rare!

Go on.........enjoy your trip!:cool1:

AKK

We are on the May 25 Magic bahamas cruise and if there is bad weather....oh well. Not much you can do. I know it can be disappointing when weather does not cooperate but you have to make the best of it.

MJ

We are on the May 25 Magic bahamas cruise and if there is bad weather....oh well. Not much you can do. I know it can be disappointing when weather does not cooperate but you have to make the best of it.

MJ

That's exactly how I feel about it too! I never really worry about the weather because there is nothing that I can do about it anyway. And the captain will try and steer us away from rain/bad weather on the days that we're at sea. On the 10-night hurricane cruise in 2004 we never saw a drop of rain because the captain took us away from it.

Multiple weather forcasts :happytv: in the Orlando area are predicting a sub-tropical low that MIGHT turn into a TS over this coming weekend.
According to the the tracks posted, a low that is currently down below Cuba, will be coming up between Cuba and Key West over the next two-three day period, and then stalling out over the Bahamas this coming weekend.

PS.according to the weather underground, the service I use to follow the hurricanes, TS etc., there is not even a mention of any tropical disturbance (this would have to occure before a low forms) except Alberto going to the Northeast and heading to sea.

AKK

PS.according to the weather underground, the service I use to follow the hurricanes, TS etc., there is not even a mention of any tropical disturbance (this would have to occure before a low forms) except Alberto going to the Northeast and heading to sea.

AKK

That's the site I immediately went to...and I see nothing about this. I'm on the 5/25 Magic, so I'll be keeping an eye out though. I just see Alberto going out to see and a few other tropical depressions/disturbances that are NOT in the Atlantic.

Oh my...fingers crossed that this is nothing. We are sailing on the Dream next week and I really crave great weather! We are from Alaska and NEED to defrost. Two days on Castaway Cay is just what the doctor ordered. I have to get on that island.....

oh well it is what it is,, we will be on Dream and hopefully we have ok weather,, port canav looks great for sailing and return looks good for our trip to Legoland.

please folks...........this happens year around .......a low forms....it could become a storm, even a regular low can be nasty..........a tropical low is really just a reverse wind circulation (counter clock wise).it can become a nasty strom.............

No sense worrying about what you can't control and at this time of year its very very very rare to become anything really nasty...not impossible......just rare!

Go on.........enjoy your trip!:cool1:

Akk

^^^ This ^^^

:goodvibes

An expansive disturbance centered over the Keys and Florida Straits appears to be getting better defined and could become a tropical storm over the weekend, the National Hurricane Center said.

The next named storm will be Beryl, as Tropical Storm Alberto emerged last weekend, about two weeks before the June 1 official start of the hurricane season.

As of 1 p.m. on Thursday, the hurricane gave the disturbance a 40 percent chance of developing into a subtropical or tropical storm by Saturday.

If it does strengthen into a tropical system, it likely will pose little threat to the south and central portions of the state, as it is expected to move northeast over the Atlantic. However, some models predict the system might curve back toward North Florida or Georgia.

As the core of system continues to move away, conditions in South Florida should start to improve, forecasters said. On Friday, the rain chance eases to 30 percent, while temperatures might climb into the low 90s.

On Thursday, the fringes of the system helped produce heavy rains and cause some localized flooding, mainly inMiami-Dade County

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

60% chance to be a TS. Currently 30mph sustained winds and tropical force gusts.

I know these guys probably don't have the satellites, weather planes and other high tech instruments that Weather Underground does and I am sure they don't have near the training or experience :rotfl2: BUT NHC was predicting this at 40% chance when OP posted and all the DIS weather experts chimed in like OP didn't know what he was talking about.

But it's still early in the game. Even IF it becomes a major storm, they have no idea where it will actually go.

I'm new to the Cruise Boards, but I sense these sort of "there Might be a hurricane" threads appear quite often???

But it's still early in the game. Even IF it becomes a major storm, they have no idea where it will actually go.

I'm new to the Cruise Boards, but I sense these sort of "there Might be a hurricane" threads appear quite often???

I don't think OP was trying to cause panic but it is noteworthy if you are going to be on the ocean in this area over the next few days.

Even if it doesn't develop any further the water will be rougher than normal and it will be windy and raining. Where it is at now it could affect docking at CC. There is nothing can be done about it but it is good know ahead of time that it could be rainy, rougher seas and you may miss some ports. You might want to pack differently or bring extra seasickness meds.

Some of the replies were very dismissive and implied OP was wrong because their favorite weather sources did not show this.

I don't think OP was trying to cause panic but it is noteworthy if you are going to be on the ocean in this area over the next few days.

Even if it doesn't develop any further the water will be rougher than normal and it will be windy and raining. Where it is at now it could affect docking at CC. There is nothing can be done about it but it is good know ahead of time that it could be rainy, rougher seas and you may miss some ports. You might want to pack differently or bring extra seasickness meds.

Some of the replies were very dismissive and implied OP was wrong because their favorite weather sources did not show this.

Yes and we were correct...the low the OP was talking about was supposed to be in the Carrib, not north of the Bahamas.

It is still very rare and unusual IF this becomes anything more then a standard low, distrubance, tropical or not.

I was not dismissal of the op, just pointing out the facts.

Please don't tell me what I meant.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter