Substituting something else for the dessert on the DDP

laceemouse

laceemouse
I have a question. If someone cannot eat dessert due to diabetes or some other special diet, can they get anything else, such as an appetizer, in place of the dessert for either counter service or table service meals on the DDP? Just wondering. Thanks!

I have a question. If someone cannot eat dessert due to diabetes or some other special diet, can they get anything else, such as an appetizer, in place of the dessert for either counter service or table service meals on the DDP? Just wondering. Thanks!

I believe such a person would contact the special diets department and get an appropriate dessert.

I believe such a person would contact the special diets department and get an appropriate dessert.

Agreed.

Plus, at least for diabetics, most of the TS restaurants have at least one sugar-free dessert option on their standard menu.

Most counter service places have fresh fruit (like apple or banana) that you can take for your dessert, or you can take a bottled water instead of dessert.

At every table-service restaurant and buffet, there is always a sugar-free option dessert (though not necessarily low-carb if you're counting carbs as part of your diabetic diet...it may be no-sugar-added but often it is still high carb/high calorie dessert, just so you know.)

However, regardless of dietary constraints, notes from doctors, etc. you will not be allowed to substitute an appetizer for a dessert. This particular question has been asked many, many times,and many Disboards people have given reports where they asked and were turned down for this exact request...they just won't allow an app for dessert swap regardless of the reason.

If you don't want the no-sugar-added dessert on the menu at the table service restaurant, you may be allowed to sub fresh fruit or a bottled water. My daughter-in-law was on a low fat/no dairy restriction last time we were there and every where we went had Tofutti (no dairy ice cream) but she was tired of that...every place offered a bowl of fresh fruit. Was usually either some sort of berries, or cut melon.

Hope that helps:thumbsup2

Some restaurants will allow you to order the cheese plate as a dessert.

They will not allow you to switch your dessert for an appetizer for any reason. A substitute dessert (sugar free, no sugar added, fruit, cheese platter, etc) may be available.

I would almost rather have the choice of an apptzr or a dessert. I'm not much of a sweet tooth, but if one person could order an app and the other a dessert to share, I can't see why that's a big deal. Most of the prices look about even based on the restaurant.. at least what I can tell from here.

I would almost rather have the choice of an apptzr or a dessert. I'm not much of a sweet tooth, but if one person could order an app and the other a dessert to share, I can't see why that's a big deal. Most of the prices look about even based on the restaurant.. at least what I can tell from here.

I have thought of this before and wonder if its because disney doesn't want you at the restaurant longer unless you give them more money. If you order an app and dessert and split both you now sat through 3 courses for the same amount of money. If too many people did this they would get less people in during a meal.

This is just a guess though.

I had gestational diabetes the last time we went... My substitution was generally fruit. There are sugarless desserts on all the menus, but these still have quite a few carbs which would spike my sugar.

Counter service I would usually get carrots in place of fries and fruit as my dessert.

There were some exceptions... Chef TJ was working at Ohana at the time and he made me an incredibly yummy dessert from sugarless ice cream and fruit...

I agree - we would almost always prefer an appetizer rather than a dessert. Unfortunately it is a definate NO on the Dining Plan. They will not sub an appetizer for a dessert at any of the TS places. :sad2:

labor intensive (many have to be cooked) and I think that's one of the big rubs, too. Disney does want to turn tables over faster. It's built in to be a certain time factor per guest. Adding an appetizer to the regular dining plan would take longer. There was a time many moons ago that an appetizer was included in the regular plan, but rather than raising prices for the plan they eliminated it.

You can always get the deluxe plan or pay out of pocket for an appetizer. You can skip dessert, too. No one says you have to have it. I've given away some of my desserts. And as stated there are some substitutions like water.

I have allergies and there are times when they just don't have any dessert options that work for me and typically they aren't even that apologetic honestly. When that happens I get a nice cup of decaff coffee :) This is part of the reason why the DDP isn't always on our to-do list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter