Substituting Mickey Check Meals

cariann77

Mouseketeer
So, now that I've finally got my BOG dinner reservation, I'm looking at the menu and I'm really not sure what my kids will eat. I think they'd both like either the chicken or steak, which are Mickey Check Meals. Will they be able to substitute french fries and a one of the sweet desserts?

I've heard that some restaurants will allow and others won't. I'm really hoping that BOG will. I personally feel that everywhere should all allow to substitute if you choose.

1) Mickey Check meals are specifically designed for nutrition.
2) Allowing substitutions would nullify the benefit.
. . . subbing fries for veggies, put in calories and carbs
. . . subbing sweet desserts for fruit is the same thing
. . . sort of unhealthy versus the planned items
3) SOME eateries might allow subs, but most menus specifically say "No substitutions' for Mickey Check Meals.
4) To keep with the nutritional ideal, this is correct and proper, and should not be changed.

NOTE: (IMHO) Sometimes kids just need to eat what is good for them, or not order the Mickey Check Meals. I have
heard both nay's and yea's when asking for Mickey Check subs at BoG.

I have no idea if it actually matters or not, but - none of the kids meals at BOG come with fries (not even at lunch), so it might also be the inability to sub an adult side for a children's portion (although it never hurts to ask, and hopefully someone will come along who has experienced this and can actually help). The kids' meals all come with vegetables instead.

The way that I read it was it was to meet nutritional guidelines, they had to be ordered as is with no substitutions. Not no substitutions allowed.

Unless it's corn, my kids are pretty much raw veggie eaters. It'll be a waste if we can't sub for something that they'll eat. Plus, we're on the DDP. They'll want fancy cupcakes like everyone else in the party. Neither of them will eat the mac&cheese or grilled cheese. Ugh. Looks like I'll be dumping Be Our Guest and try to get our 1900 Park Fare reservation back.

Last year at lunch my DD had the turkey meatloaf, which is a Mickey Check Meal. I substituted the zucchini for fries on the computer with no issues. She loves broccoli, but since I hate zucchini I won't make anyone else eat it. :o I would assume you could do it at dinner. At lunch you could play around with the sides/drinks no matter if it's a Mickey Check Meal or Not. Sorry, I have no idea about the dessert.

I don't know about BOG, but I've never had an issue anywhere else getting fries instead of veggies for my DD.

I've never had a problem changing the sides. I just say something like I'll have steak with fries. Never been an issue.

I have no idea if it actually matters or not, but - none of the kids meals at BOG come with fries (not even at lunch), so it might also be the inability to sub an adult side for a children's portion (although it never hurts to ask, and hopefully someone will come along who has experienced this and can actually help). The kids' meals all come with vegetables instead.

I've always gotten fries with the kid's meals at lunch at Be Our Guest (it is one of the substitute choices). Haven't had dinner there since last year but I ordered a kid's steak meal for my 3 yr old & split it with her and I also got fries with that (unflavored ones though, not the good ones that came with my husband's steak!). I don't think it was the original side but she told the waitress she wanted fries & they brought them. As far as desserts, I don't think those can be substituted. I always buy my daughter a cupcake. We don't do the dining plan but I don't think that would be any different than paying out of pocket. Fries are also available at lunch as an extra side if you want more but I usually get plenty of green beans & fries with the meal for my daughter & I to share, especially since we get a cupcake afterwards for dessert!

Don't order it as a Mickey Check Meal...order it as a la carte. Example: Mickey Check is penne pasta w/chicken and stringbeans and fruit cup. Order chicken with French fries and sundae. Same price..it's all in how you order it at a TS

I agree with Rusty and mon2of2. Mickey Check meals are specifically formulated to a nutritional standard. As such, you can't sub and still meet that standard.
Cupcakes are not included as dessert in kids meals at BOG. You will have to pay additional for them

We've never had a problem subbing sides on any of the kids menus. We've had many servers tell us that we can mix and match any entree and sides offered. All the recent menus that I have seen from BOG offer fries upon request so I don't think it will be an issue. Sure the nutritional info for the Mickey Check meal will be off but that has never mattered to us. But, from our experience, you won't be able to substitute one of cupcakes or other desserts. You'll either have to share or buy them their own if they don't want the cookie.

We've never had a problem subbing sides on any of the kids menus. We've had many servers tell us that we can mix and match any entree and sides offered . . .

1) Were those regular meals or Mickey Check Meals?
2) HUGE difference.

We've done it with both regular and Mickey Check Meals and multiple TS locations. We've never had a problem making substitutions between the two.

1) Subbing "like" items
. . . such as a veggie for a veggie?
2) Or, subbing nutritionally different items,
. . . such as cupcakes for fruit?
3) And, why sub for nutritionally different items?
. . . why not just order ala carte?
. . . doesn't subbing defeat the purpose of a Mickey Check nutritionally-balanced meal?
. . . don't kids someimes need to just eat nutrional foodstuffs that are good for them?

Last edited:
On BOG menu I see kids desserts and there are cupcakes on there. If they order the mickey check meal are they not entitled to the dessert? I saw another thread too asking if kids get a normal dessert or just the cookie but I see kids dessert section on most menu's so I'm confused.

1) Mickey Check meals are specifically designed for nutrition.
2) Allowing substitutions would nullify the benefit.
. . . subbing fries for veggies, put in calories and carbs
. . . subbing sweet desserts for fruit is the same thing
. . . sort of unhealthy versus the planned items
3) SOME eateries might allow subs, but most menus specifically say "No substitutions' for Mickey Check Meals.
4) To keep with the nutritional ideal, this is correct and proper, and should not be changed.

NOTE: (IMHO) Sometimes kids just need to eat what is good for them, or not order the Mickey Check Meals. I have
heard both nay's and yea's when asking for Mickey Check subs at BoG.

I agree with Rusty and mon2of2. Mickey Check meals are specifically formulated to a nutritional standard. As such, you can't sub and still meet that standard.
Cupcakes are not included as dessert in kids meals at BOG. You will have to pay additional for them

I don't think OP cares about meeting the healthy kid standard that Mickey Check meals conveniently offer, she just wants to make her kids happy, and it seems many people have been allowed to do the same.

1) Subbing "like" items
. . . such as a veggie for a veggie?
2) Or, subbing nutritionally different items,
. . . such as cupcakes for fruit?
3) And, why sub for nutritionally different items?
. . . why not just order ala carte?
. . . doesn't subbing defeat the purpose of a Mickey Check nutritionally-balanced meal?
. . . don't kids someimes need to just eat nutrional foodstuffs that are good for them?

We've subbed cooked veggies for raw veggies with dip and we've subbed fries for veggies and cupcakes or ice cream for fruit. My kids eat nutritional meals that are good for them every single day so if they want to sub fries for veggies and ice cream for fruit while on vacation I am perfectly fine with that...especially when they are ordering healthier entree choices. And we ordered the Mickey Check Meal because that's the entree they wanted and they just wanted to change out one item. I don't know why you have such a hard time believing that it is easy to sub out items with those meals. I also don't know why you think that subbing fries for some sort of veggie suddenly makes the grilled fish or chicken meals total crap. Yes, it does change the nutritional content but not everyone cares about that. I know that you think that you are some sort of be all, end all authority on WDW restaurants and their policies but you aren't! If the OP wants to sub fries, she can and Walt will not spin in his grave and security will not drag her out of BOG and ban her for life.

On BOG menu I see kids desserts and there are cupcakes on there. If they order the mickey check meal are they not entitled to the dessert? I saw another thread too asking if kids get a normal dessert or just the cookie but I see kids dessert section on most menu's so I'm confused.

When we ate there for lunch, we had to pay extra or use a snack credit for cupcakes for our kids because all they got was a cookie. We've not had dinner there yet but I am prepared to buy my youngest two cupcakes when we do just in case.

Last edited:
MSLRAC, maybe that's the difference. BOG lunch menu doesn't list a kids dessert but for dinner it does.

THANKS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter