Sturgis/Yellowstone

McKelly

DIS Veteran
I have booked a Yellowstone vacation for August 7-13, not knowing that is the week of Sturgis. I have heard comments here and there about it not being a good idea to go to Yellowstone during that week. Does anybody have any experience with going to Yellowstone/Cody/Jackson during Sturgis week in the past? I don't want to cancel my in-park hotel reservations because I know I won't get the reservations I want anymore. I want to go with a heads-up though.

Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry. Bikers go on trips through the parks all summer, and it's hard to notice an uptick because of Sturgis.

If you need any GTNP or YNP information feel free to PM me if I don't reply on here. I don't look on this board a lot but I have a AP for them in addition to my DLR AP.

Sturgis is in South Dakota, right? I'm not sure how the rally in Sturgis will effect your trip to Yellowstone in Wyoming. Are you traveling through the Dakotas to get there?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Yellowstone is huge and it will be crowded even without the bikers. Enjoy your visit, Yellowstone is amazing!

vfiles22037.jpg

Scenes like this make people think that Sturgis over runs the whole region. This is in Jackson, Wy.

Of course this picture could have been taken any time between Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend. It's just common all summer not distinct to the times nearest the Sturgis Rally.

I have booked a Yellowstone vacation for August 7-13, not knowing that is the week of Sturgis. I have heard comments here and there about it not being a good idea to go to Yellowstone during that week. Does anybody have any experience with going to Yellowstone/Cody/Jackson during Sturgis week in the past? I don't want to cancel my in-park hotel reservations because I know I won't get the reservations I want anymore. I want to go with a heads-up though.

Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.

If Sturgis is the same week, there won't be many bikes in Yellowstone. You will see an uptick the week before and the week after Sturgis. Either way, it's not a reason to not go to Yellowstone. It's an 7-8 hour drive from Sturgis to Yellowstone and Yellowstone is HUGE.

vfiles22037.jpg

Scenes like this make people think that Sturgis over runs the whole region. This is in Jackson, Wy.

Of course this picture could have been taken any time between Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend. It's just common all summer not distinct to the times nearest the Sturgis Rally.

Too true about that scene! Honestly, YNP is so crowded at that time of year with tour buses and cars that a few extra 2-wheelers aren't really going to be a blip on your radar. Any way you do it, it's a crowded time of year. I wouldn't change plans because of it, though. We go nearly every year at that time, and it is always pretty crowded, but still absolutely lovely and interesting in different ways every single time we take the kids.

FWIW, the only time I've EVER seen YNP not crowded was in January when we went into the park years ago. You still saw other people, but nothing like the crowds in summer. There were often more animals than people when you looked around in winter, which is something you will definitely NOT say in summer. :rotfl:

Too true about that scene! Honestly, YNP is so crowded at that time of year with tour buses and cars that a few extra 2-wheelers aren't really going to be a blip on your radar. Any way you do it, it's a crowded time of year. I wouldn't change plans because of it, though. We go nearly every year at that time, and it is always pretty crowded, but still absolutely lovely and interesting in different ways every single time we take the kids.

FWIW, the only time I've EVER seen YNP not crowded was in January when we went into the park years ago. You still saw other people, but nothing like the crowds in summer. There were often more animals than people when you looked around in winter, which is something you will definitely NOT say in summer. :rotfl:

In September, you will have the park to yourself, plus fall colors!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter