stupid snow

goofyshell

DIS Veteran
We're booked on the 5-30 Wonder. Trouble is the kids have now missed 11 days of school. Even with taking away some teacher days they are now getting out the 28th (Fri. before we sail). If we have one more snow day (and we very well may get it tomorrow) they will still be in school when we are supposed to be sailing.
The boys are in HS and can't miss finals. The principal said no one can change their finals. AUGH!! Final payment is due in three weeks. Does vacation insurance cover us if we have to cancel because of school? I'm just not sure we'll know when their last day is before we have to pay.

We're booked on the 5-30 Wonder. Trouble is the kids have now missed 11 days of school. Even with taking away some teacher days they are now getting out the 28th (Fri. before we sail). If we have one more snow day (and we very well may get it tomorrow) they will still be in school when we are supposed to be sailing.
The boys are in HS and can't miss finals. The principal said no one can change their finals. AUGH!! Final payment is due in three weeks. Does vacation insurance cover us if we have to cancel because of school? I'm just not sure we'll know when their last day is before we have to pay.
Generally, unless you have "cancel for any reason" coverage (which usually costs extra), things like school schedules or work schedules are NOT covered. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check with the insurance company, but I think it's unlikely.

Sayhello

As a teacher...I would petition the school board. I would offer them the benefit of paying for your cruise and attending in your place if they cannot make any needed changes for something that is not your fault. I do know that I took and "f" in chorus once for missing the concert due to a family vacation and am still a contributing member of society! It may be worth it in the long run! :thumbsup2 Good luck! I would be curious to know how this turns out for you!

Does the school usually give final exams on the last day of school? I'm a high school assistant principal in Washington and we have to add additional school days as well, but we are not planning on changing our exam days from what was previously scheduled on the calendar. You may not have to cancel your vacation if the exams will be administered prior to the last day of school. Not sure how it works in KY, but just sending good vibes and hoping it all works out.

I also think you might be able to get them to take the exams early if you stuck to your guns. Exceptions like that are regular practice in most schools if enough notice is given.

I read my policy and it does not cover school emergencies but does cover work. Good luck!

I feel for you! We have had a couple days added for snow days before the winter break. I think it was the end of October. It was rather unusual, anyway. Next calendar year they changed it so there is a provision if we get snow days before winter break. Luckily I left almost a week before our vacation. Hope we don't get anymore snow days. (snowed the last two Sundays. LOL) Our older kids' finals were usually a over two days before the last day of school. Make-ups were then given. Good luck! I hope things go well for you.

I'm having the same issue but with spring break, if we miss 2 more days they are going to start taking it away. At least I don't have any tests to worry about. I would hate to go with a bunch of work to do. I live in TN and they call it WAY too often.:mad::scared1:

Last year I took a group on the cruise for DD's high school graduation. Her private school hadn't missed as many days as some of the other schools in our area, but....everyone managed to get off even though for some it meant missing graduation ceremonies.

Public school let one girl take finals early by presenting them with an invoice with her name on it showing that it was booked before the snow days. Not paid in full, just booked.

I'd hit the superintendent NOW before PIF date so that you can move the date if you need to. Most private insurances allow one move of a date and keep the insurance intact, so no loss there either.

Well, if we ever get snow, and we would miss school for more than the days that are included in the school calendar, our high school students have no way to take test prior to "summer vacation" starting as we take regents exams in the state of NY and the biology exam is always given on the next to last day of school..our last day of school this year will be June 24....

Would the school give a final exam up until the last day of school? Usually the last few days are just clean-up filler days.

Would the school give a final exam up until the last day of school? Usually the last few days are just clean-up filler days.

At the high school level finals usually do go until the last day of school, except for Seniors. They usually have to be done a day or two early so they know if they passed all their classes and can graduate.

Tough situation, but they are really cracking down on missing school most places.
My kids went to private school, and a lot of parents put there kids there because, it used to be, private schools were more flexible. They left it up to the teachers to determine how to cover an absence. But the accreditation folks lowered the boom on that. Now, the school policy is the teacher has to give all assigned work to the student, the student has to complete it all, including all tests, but can not receive more than 50% credit for that work and tests.

But my son is just in Kindergarten. I cannot believe how much school we have been out! And I have said if we have something planned at the end of school -- we did last year -- than we just won't go to school. But if my kids were older that would be much harder. I don't know what they are going to do about all these days. The State will have to waive some, I mean they have to have some summer break!

I hope you don't have to miss your cruise...I couldn't imagine having to let go of those big plans!

Here is hoping that you are able to work something out with the school board as I know your schools are closed today. I am about 1 hour south of you in Tennessee. My DS is sitting at home enjoying his 7th day out. I would curse the snow, but as you know it is not the snow, but the ice.

We are scheduled to leave the day after school lets out - May 22rd. While Nashville only has 5 snow days, we have 10. So for the moment we are okay.

Might it be possible that they take the finals when you return from your trip? At my Middle School (7th and 8th), we let them come back within the first week or so after school is out (while counselors are still on contract) and take their finals. It wasn't too many kids, but I know there are always a few who need it....whether they were on vacation or sick or had a family emergency to tend to.
It means an incomplete on their report card, but it gets corrected and reprinted as soon as they have taken the exam.

I know in my high school Freshman year till Senior Year we had finals and they were usually the 5 days before the last day of school, then the last day no finals were unless you were a underclass and missed one

This is why I never book vacations or camps or anything for that first week after school is scheduled to let out. Our county posts contingent days for how long it COULD be extended and I don't plan anything until after those dates. Hope you can work things out...

Can you change your dates and go over there spring break or later in the summer?

Our kids were suppose to be out the day before memorial day and we were doing a land and sea vacation but as soon as the snow started here I knew we were in for a rough winter so I cancelled our may/june trip and booked to go over our spring break. Yes it will be more crowded and cost us more but it was that or pass on our vacation.
I'm glad I changed it when I did because now with all our snow days were in school till June 8th:scared1:

When the October Storm hit Buffalo a couple years ago, schools were closed for 2 full weeks, and this was before Buffalo's true winter season began (and they schedule for a lot of snow days). They officially canceled spring break, and told family’s they had to reschedule, but the teachers all asked students if they were going to be "sick" that week and were very accommodating allowing students to make up work and tests. The teachers know it’s not the student’s/families fault that this was changed on them after break. Hopefully, you’ll find someone to help you work this out.

I do know that I took and "f" in chorus once for missing the concert due to a family vacation and am still a contributing member of society!

As we always take our kids out of school for vacations, it's good to know they won't be scarred for life and aren't destined to be total delinquents! :lmao:

Seriously, though, if you are worried, I would just try to change the date as it's pre-PIF...

Here is hoping that you are able to work something out with the school board as I know your schools are closed today. I am about 1 hour south of you in Tennessee. My DS is sitting at home enjoying his 7th day out. I would curse the snow, but as you know it is not the snow, but the ice.

We are scheduled to leave the day after school lets out - May 22rd. While Nashville only has 5 snow days, we have 10. So for the moment we are okay.

Holy cow! We have currently 5 calamity days in Ohio, and next year they came up with the brilliant idea to cut it back to 3, yes I said THREE days, and eventually want to get it down to none! That is impossible and we are currently in make-up days as we speak... my kids finally went to school today but on a 2-hour delay that was already called last night. I have no idea why our wonderful governor thinks cutting BACK days is a good idea? :confused3 Say goodbye Easter break for this year, since we have to make up anyway. Hoping they don't tack on the end of the school year, it's SO hot in those classrooms and no AC, and won't get any installed for sure.

I hope you can work with the school board and get this resolved! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter