Stupid scenes in movies

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
Last night I watched the movie The Rite. Ok movie but that's besides the point.

The main character is a mortician. The opening scene shows him preparing a body. After he washes it, he dresses it. They show him slipping on the woman's underwear. Ummm...ok?

They then show the woman all dressed in a black dress. I looked at my husband and said "Does she really need underwear?" He responded "In case someone wants to look up her dress"

I don't know..things like this in movies stand out to me. I am an automatic blooper reel. I helped my dad pick out the outfit for my mom to be buried in. We chose a nice pant suit that she was fond of. I don't recall showing up with underwear. She wasn't going to need a "lift" from any bra and from her waist down it would be under the coffin lid. I am also pretty sure the funeral director told us to not bring underwear. It was almost 17 years ago, so I'm not sure.

Last night I watched the movie The Rite. Ok movie but that's besides the point.

The main character is a mortician. The opening scene shows him preparing a body. After he washes it, he dresses it. They show him slipping on the woman's underwear. Ummm...ok?

They then show the woman all dressed in a black dress. I looked at my husband and said "Does she really need underwear?" He responded "In case someone wants to look up her dress"

I don't know..things like this in movies stand out to me. I am an automatic blooper reel. I helped my dad pick out the outfit for my mom to be buried in. We chose a nice pant suit that she was fond of. I don't recall showing up with underwear. She wasn't going to need a "lift" from any bra and from her waist down it would be under the coffin lid. I am also pretty sure the funeral director told us to not bring underwear. It was almost 17 years ago, so I'm not sure.

OK. That was one strange post :)

My mom passed away in Feb '09. We brought her clothes to the funeral home but no underwear - never crossed my mind to. The director asked if I had brought them and I said no, but I can go back and get some. He said, Oh don't worry, I have some to put on her. Later I found out he charged me $30 for them! :confused3:headache:

I didn't bring her socks or shoes either. Or a bra. Just didn't see the point.

They show him slipping on the woman's underwear. Ummm...ok?

Until I read to the end of your post, I thought this was a complaint about the mortician being a cross dresser and it not having anything to do with the movie plot. Clearly I read that wrong and you meant he put the underwear on the dead woman...not himself. :rolleyes1

At any rate, why was the scene stupid? I confess not to have seen the movie. But was it a gratuitous naked image of her as he clothed her you object to that did nothing to further the point of the movie (like those crummy B-movie horror films which inevitably show a topless woman running from a maniac killer).

Or are you saying that by placing undergarments on a dead body when you dress them for a funeral it was stupid?

I have no personal experience dressing a dead body, so I can not say what is the norm, but I would have assumed, now that I am thinking about it, that the body would have on undergarments in addition to the dress/suit, etc.

OK. That was one strange post :)

LOL! I guess it is. I was reading the post about wearing slips, and it got me thinking of the movie last night. Why show someone dressing a dead body in underwear? Do we really need to wear underwear when we are dead?

At any rate, why was the scene stupid? I confess not to have seen the movie. But was it a gratuitous naked image of her as he clothed her you object to that did nothing to further the point of the movie (like those crummy B-movie horror films which inevitably show a topless woman running from a maniac killer).

Or are you saying that by placing undergarments on a dead body when you dress them for a funeral it was stupid?

No there was no nudity in the movie, or else that would have made sense. (a reason for the film makers to show a naked woman).

I think it was stupid to show him putting underwear on a dead person. She has a dress on, she will be laid out in a coffin where from the waist down, she is covered by a coffin lid. Why does she need to be wearing underwear?

LOL! I guess it is. I was reading the post about wearing slips, and it got me thinking of the movie last night. Why show someone dressing a dead body in underwear? Do we really need to wear underwear when we are dead?

Well, in that case, do we really need to wear anythin', where are we goin'? :rotfl:

I helped my DH select clothes to bury his mother in last October and the funeral home told us to bring an outfit that was indicative of who she was and how she dressed, to include undergarments and encouraged us to also bring a pair of the black pantyhose she always wore, along with her favorite kitten-heeled shoes.

Not sure why that seems strange.

wow! something I have never thought about but now will :lmao: well, an outfit to me includes undergarments. I'd like my bits to be covered. :laughing:

I worked in a funeral home a while back (Hey. It's quiet! I could study.) and it was very common for the family to request that their loved one be "fully" dressed. I totally see their point.... I'm not crazy about the idea of knowing that Aunt Betty is lying in state all commando. Of course you can't see anything, but I'd know.

Did you know that if you don't bring something from home for your person to wear and buy it from the funeral home- the dress or suit you get is very often not real. It's a front cover only, the back is completely open. And the people that do the deceased's hair are just regular beauticians that do that on the side.

Well you learn something new every day! I would definitely want underwear and if I had to pick out clothes for a loved one, I'd bring undies. I have no idea why....just seems complete???

In regards to the movie, it was an odd scene to include.

Talking about real life? When we gathered Mom's final finery, we discussed who had the cutest lingerie for her to wear. Silky undies, slip and a purple push up bra from Victoria! Then we realized she had a white blouse. The funeral lady, who was a sweetheart, said don't worry, her jacket will cover, no one will tell. And she provided the knee highs we forgot. Oh, and we took little soft slippers for her. It gave us a lot of comfort and quite a few giggles to see her then.

To be fair to us, when she was in skilled care, she was using Victoria's from one of us and proudly showed it to everyone in the hallway. :lmao: "Want to see my bra?" Of course it was just the strap she showed. So she had to have one for her "graduation".

And the funeral people put a tiny smirk on her face that cracked us up! It was so "her" with the undies no one but us knew about. Ummm - until now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter