Stupid question: does doing online checkin for a room-only ressie charge your payment card?

andrewilley

GNU Terry Pratchett
Just having a "discussion" with someone who says that doing online checkin for a WDW resort room-only reservation will charge the FULL balance to the guest's credit card on the same day that they do the online checkin (e.g. payment for the whole stay will be taken up to 60 days out just by doing OLCI that far out).

Whereas I think the balance for room-only bookings is automatically charged to your card on your arrival date, not before.

I know package due-dates are different, but even with those full payment is not triggered by the act of doing Online Checkin as far as I'm aware.

So who is right, has something changed or have I been wrong all these years?

Andre

Just having a "discussion" with someone who says that doing online checkin for a WDW resort room-only reservation will charge the FULL balance to the guest's credit card on the same day that they do the online checkin (e.g. payment for the whole stay will be taken up to 60 days out just by doing OLCI that far out).

Whereas I think the balance for room-only bookings is automatically charged to your card on your arrival date, not before.

I know package due-dates are different, but even with those full payment is not triggered by the act of doing Online Checkin as far as I'm aware.

Andre
Andre, I have a room-only reservation at POR for June. I did online check in a week or so ago and my credit card has not been charged the balance of my trip. Hope this helps!

No. The charge for a room-only reservation is the price of one night's stay. The balance can be paid off prior to your trip, but isn't due until you check-in.

Balance is not due until the day you check in at the resort. You can do online checkin anytime and it doesn't get charged. All that does is gets your room requests down and your expected arrival time. I've got 3 rooms booked right now and have done online checkin for all and all 3 still have pretty substantial balances on them.

If you wait until the last minute that card on file MAY be charged the day of before you arrive. I've had it happen. So if you wish to pay off your balance with a different card, best to do it a few days out if possible.

Yes, card is charged the morning of check-in automatically if you have not paid the balance before hand when you do online check-in. I have had this happen 2 or 3 times with room only reservations.

The card is charged the day of your physical arrival at the resort, not when you do online check-in. We've had multiple room only stays and I always do online check-in as soon as it's available. The room isn't charged until arrival day, but may be charged on that day before you actually arrive.

Reactions: Iya
Same here as above posters.
Only Room Only for years.
One night deposit.
Online Check-in.
Balanced charged day of check in.
BUT it can charge VERY early long before arrival
- if you had other plans for paying it off be aware.

Andre
You are right, the other person is incorrect.
The act of online check in never triggers payment, not for packages and not for room only

Andre

No because my dad had a room only, did online check in a week before and never got his room ready text. Turned out they never charged his card the remaining balance on our arrival day so he had to go to the front desk to have them do it.

With the wonders of my credit card connected to my phone, I get the notifications that pop up every time the card is charged. When I've done online check-in, I typically wake up at home the morning of my check-in date with a charge notification (usually happens 6-7ish for me). It is literally the MOST DEPRESSING way to start your WDW travel day ever! No one wants to be reminded of the cost when not even on property yet! :upsidedow:upsidedow:upsidedow

Last edited:
With the wonders of my credit card connected to my phone, I get the notifications that pop up every time the card is charged. When I've done online check-in, I typically wake up at home that morning with a charge notification (usually happens 6-7ish for me). It is literally the MOST DEPRESSING way to start your WDW travel day ever ! No one wants to be reminded of the cost when not even on property yet! :upsidedow:upsidedow:upsidedow
So you are saying that online check in did charge your card? Even 2 months before you arrived?

Thanks folks, I was pretty sure I was right, but wanted to make 100% sure.

Sometimes when you answer a simple question online, and then someone else comes along and is absolutely adamant that it doesn't work the way you've said, then you do start to question yourself and wonder if Disney changed the rules without informing guests. Especially when they tell you they know what they are talking about as they go to Disney lots of times a year.

I would normally leave them to their delusions after a couple of posts, but I find it annoying when the original poster of a question ends up getting incorrect advice. :(

Andre

Like others have mentioned, it will charge the CC on file on the day of check-in, once the system starts up for that day, usually around 6AM. O like to pay ours off before hand so I make payments using GC's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter