Stumped for gift ideas for my in-laws

I never know what to for my parents either.

This year I decided to get them something different. I looked at cooking classes offered at Sur La Table or a Publix. I looked on Groupon and found a tasting class at a local oil and vinegar place (it is some specialty cooking place near them). So, I bought them gift certificates and they can pick the class they want to attend.

Groupon also had lots of massage places offering gift certificates--that was my other idea.

Good Luck

I never know what to for my parents either. This year I decided to get them something different. I looked at cooking classes offered at Sur La Table or a Publix. I looked on Groupon and found a tasting class at a local oil and vinegar place (it is some specialty cooking place near them). So, I bought them gift certificates and they can pick the class they want to attend. Groupon also had lots of massage places offering gift certificates--that was my other idea. Good Luck

Good idea!

Lets keep the ideas going for others (or for next year) but I did settle on a gift. Thanks everyone.

The lobster dinner was high on the list but I decided that we'd have to get dinner for three to include my BIL and then it wouldn't be a gift for my in laws, but for all of them. Just not feeling the love on that part.

So, I went with the digital photo frame. But here's the cool thing. It's a wi-fi frame with its own email address. I can add pics anytime by just emailing them to their frame! How fun is that!? It holds 20,000 pics, I will pre load many on it, help them load some of their own, and then email additional ones as we take them. Can do it right from my iPhone! It got great reviews on Amazon and was $149.00 with for prime shipping. I know the amazon regular prices are sometimes inflated but it was listed at $299 retail and the cheapest I found it was $185.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Pix-Star-PXT5...386429507&sr=8-1&keywords=Wi+fi+picture+frame

In the interest of sharing, the other fun gift I had planned I ended up giving to my MIL for her Oct BD as I was stumped for that event too. It was a salt lamp and she absolutely loves it!

http://www.amazon.com/WBM-Himalayan-1002-Natural-Purifying/dp/B001892AX2/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_3_dp

Can I get some tech help with the frame idea? I did click on the link and read about it, but I'm not sure I still understand.

My 91 y/o MIL doesn't have wi-fi at her house or a computer. How would this work for her? I wouldn't want it to be any more complicated for her than "PLUG IT IN, ENJOY THE PICTURES." If I understand it, I (or any of my family members) can send her pictures from a home computer, tablet, phone and her FRAME will receive it via a dedicated email address? But how does that work if there is no ether net cord or wi-fi in the house?

NEVER MIND.... read the FAQ and found out that you must have wi-fi to use this item. Oh well... but I'm going to keep it in mind for my parents!........P

Our gas committee has gift certificates and I got one for my parents and one for my inlaws for $100 each. When they get their heat bill, they can put the certificates with their heat bills.

I bought my parents' gifts from here.

www.simonpearce.com

The website stinks though. You have to navigate using the menu on the left. I got them some hand blown evergreen trees and a glass pine cone ornament.

Wow-the glass ornaments are stunning! Simply stunning!

1.what about dessert of the month certificate for a set number of months? Pies, cookies, cake, candies, cheesecakes, wine and cheese.

It might be helpful to add that they enjoy gardening, hunting, cooking, traveling, anything outdoors, golfing, tv, reading.

They have Netflix (which we gave them one year as well with the Roku and it was a big hit as they had never heard of it), Amazon Prime, satellite tv, and honestly don't need anything.

What about a gift certificate to a nursery to buy spring annuals/perennials, with a promise (and a set date) to help them plant them in the spring.

For folks that have just about everything, spending time with the ones they love, making memories together can be the best gift of all.

I have been so blessed every year for the last 10 or so years to have stumbled upon a perfect gift for my in laws for Christmas. We got them Kindles one year, a Roku one year, iPod one year, tickets to the symphony one year (which we are repeating again this year), and a few other really perfect gifts. This year I decided that we'd give them an Amazon Prime membership. This couple, who are SO frugal and never go out and get anything, went and got themselves a Prime membership 2 months ago. Stink! There goes my really fun and creative gift idea.

Last week I resorted to asking them for ideas. My father-in-law suggested a smart phone for MIL (ummm she HATES to talk on the phone as she's hard of hearing and doesn't see well either so she probably wouldn't text). I honestly cannot see her using it and getting one would mean we'd have to choose a service provider and then who pays the bill each month etc? So I vetoed that right away.

The other idea he gave us is a stone address marker for the entry to their driveway. I called a local place and 1. they cannot have it done by Christmas. I'd be okay with giving them an IOU for it but 2. It's $275.00 and with the $100 we've already spent for the symphony tickets plus the dining gift card I usually include with it, that puts us over the amount we'd like to spend.

I thought of a speaker bar for their TV and found one on sale at a great price at Walmart. It got very good reviews, but the 1 star reviews all indicated that it was difficult to connect, and trouble with the remote linking with the tv, and compatibility issues. I don't want to give them something that will be frustrating so I think that idea is out.

So if you are still with me after that huge long discourse, HELP ME :worship: come up with something super neat and WOW! I have a reputation to uphold. What are you getting your in-laws? What would you get if you could spend around $150.00-ish.

Sirius Radio with a six month subscription?

What about a gift certificate to a nursery to buy spring annuals/perennials, with a promise (and a set date) to help them plant them in the spring.

For folks that have just about everything, spending time with the ones they love, making memories together can be the best gift of all.

Oh my gosh, I have to laugh at this one. I wish you knew us and my in laws and you'd see the humor. They are master gardeners and we ripped out our raised garden bed about 8 weeks ago because we couldn't keep up with it! The weeds were shoulder high. My in laws would DIE of laughter if we gave them a certificate to help in their garden LOL! But I do LOVE the idea of a gift cert for a nursery. Thanks for posting.

I am zero help. The only things my FIL wanted were Cinnamon Buns from Cinnabon, and decking screws. I kid you not. $100 bucks worth of pastry and screws:rotfl2:. My mother in law wanted new blinds for her dining room. They were quite expensive so we got her one, her daughter got her one, and her husband got her one. I can't make this stuff up..Cinnamon Buns, Screws, and a blind.:lmao:

This one cracked me up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter