Stuffing Our Faces On Land and Sea - A Wedding & Honeymoon at WDW/DCL

This was a great trip report, however, sadly, it seems like the OP has abandoned it as she hasn't posted an update since February. That's too bad.

Well, time to fix the problem at hand, am I right? I am so terribly sorry about the lack in posts - all I can say is the usual work/life changes got in the way, and having multiple threads on the DIS led to some awful thread maintenance! But I'd rather not leave this open ended, so let's continue on the journey shall we? Even if things are several months old at this point! To those of you still reading and commenting - you are the best of the best.

Thursday October 16th

Today was our Universal day, so we started it off with the breakfast of champions - leftover wedding cake! The top tier of your wedding cake is the one food item you are "allowed" to take from your reception (the 1-year anniversary tradition seems to overrule Disney's food safety rules otherwise), but we certainly weren't going to be taking ours on the cruise ship, let alone home with us, so we dug in! The flavor was yellow cake with white chocolate mousse, since DH hadn't liked the almond/amaretto combination when we tasted the cake all those months before.

The cake shifted at some point in it's transit from reception to parent's room to our hotel roo

A lovely section of cake!

So spoiler alert: it is really difficult to cut through 4-day old refrigerated fondant with a plastic knife. I should have known! Anyway, the cake was just okay by my standards (which is that I'm not too crazy about cake to begin with. Kevin loved it and happily at a big piece. My biggest regret is not munching on one of the sugar roses on top - curses!! I do plan to order an anniversary cake when we go on our anniversary trip in August (a little early, but such is life when you work in education) and I'm hoping I'll like it better when it's fresh. No rating here, since I'm not rating the wedding food :thumbsup2

Full of cake, we made our way to MIL & FIL's rental car and headed over to Universal Studios, where we endured a whopping two hour wait for Gringotts thanks to ride breakdowns. Once we finally were off the ride, we did a little shopping and then headed to The Leaky Cauldron for some much needed lunch!

I ordered Butterbeer (I seem to be the only person I know who prefers it frozen) while DH ordered a beer - I can't for the love of me remember which of the beers offered he chose, but what I can tell you is he didn't like it, beer snob that he is.

As for food, I got a Shepard's Pie with a side of fries. A bit of an odd choice with it being so warm out, but it was what sounded most appealing to me from the menu. Honestly, I thought it was delicious and a nice shakeup from the nuggets/pizza/burger routine it's so easy to slip into when you're touring parks. The filling of the pie was flavorful and the potatoes on top nicely whipped. I also really enjoyed the wedge fries, a great surprise where everything else seems to be shoestring all the time. I would give the Butterbeer a solid 8.5/10 the Shepard's Pie an 8/10 and the fries a 7/10

Pie cross-section

We continued exploring Diagon Alley a little more, as well as Universal Studios in general, before deciding to take the Hogwarts Express over to Islands of Adventure and Hogsmede. Sure it was a 20 minute wait, but it was a ride! Imagine our surprise when in the belly of King's Cross Station we found a little food and drink shop, and they had our favorite English adult beverage of choice - Strongbow Cider!

A crisp Strongbow is always refreshing on a hot day. Ever reliable 8/10

Once at IOA, we rode Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man before calling a quits on the day in favor of heading back to WDW for laundry and down time. On our way out of the park however, a certain sweet treat caught our eyes:

Generic vanilla softserve - a perfectly adequate 6/10. It's hard when I have the memory of France's ice cream to compete with!

After a slog back to Beach Club and a long, multiple hour battle with the laundry facilities, Kevin and I were finally ready for our fancy date night at Yachtsman Steakhouse. We were sent to the Ale & Compass Lounge for a pre-dinner drink while we waited for our table.

I got the seasonal specialty Pumpkin Spice Martini (remember when it was October and you couldn't go 5 feet without seeing something pumpkin spice?) while Kevin got his old reliable Sam Adams Boston Lager. He refuses to rate his beer since he's had it 1000 times before, but I'd give my drink a 7/10 - not much in the way of pumpkin or sweetness, but a strong vodka presence that wasn't TOO strong. I like to know I'm getting my money's worth on my drinks!

As soon as we got the drinks, we asked to close out our tab with our Tables in Wonderland card (remembering it took awhile at Ohana), which was good fortune as our table was then called! It was our first time at Yachtsman and I was very excited to try the menu I had been reading about for months on end.

View from our table, in the center of the restaurant

Our server quickly came over with the much fabled onion rolls and garlic. YUMMMM. I might have been able to make an entire meal out of these rolls and garlic had I not known about the other delicious food to follow (wouldn't that make for a romantic honeymoon, huh? Onion and garlic breath!)

It didn't take us long to decide what to order. Kevin immeadiately picked the filet mignon, which I had been eyeing, so I decided to get the 12 oz New York Strip. Usually I'm just a "pick the smallest amount of meat" person when it comes to steak, but we were planning on sampling the others dishes and I didn't want to get the same meat (and same sides!)

Kevin's 8oz Filet Mignon and Cabernet Wine Sauce (with substituted truffle fries instead of mashed potatoes)

My 12oz New York Strip Steak with White Cheddar Twice-baked Potato, Peppercorn-Brandy Sauce

Both of us agreed that the filet was the superior steak, though I definitely preferred my potato to Kevin's substituted fries. That being said, that doesn't mean my New York Strip was bad - both meals were utterly outstanding and we declared it the best dinner of WDW. But next time we come back, I'll definitely be getting the filet (WITH mashed potatoes thank you very much!) I also ordered a glass of sangria, as I can't NOT pass it up when I see it on a menu.

It certainly wasn't the best sangria I've ever had (I generally prefer red ones to white) but it was yummy! Apologies for the junk picture

Stuffed to the brim we declined dessert and settled up our bill. Thanks to TIW, we saved over $20 between our two steaks and a round of drinks! (I know some people say you only save 2% because of the added gratuity, but I see that as money we were already planning on paying anyway, so that 20% is 20%!)

We even we treated to a brief view of the tops of Illuminations while we waited to sign our check:

We give Yachtsman a 9/10, as I mentioned we declared it the best meal we've had on property to date (far, far better than any of our Le Cellier trips). The only thing that will keep us from coming back any time soon is, like Ohana, the desire to try as many different places as we can. Here though, we would happily pay the price required, as the food more than lived up to the expectation.

So happy to see an update! I liked the Leaky Cauldron, but wasn't crazy about my sausage sandwich there so I would love to go back and try something else. And we loved Yachtsman when we ate there - I had the filet and it was great, but also a side of the mac and cheese which was incredible! Next time I'll just get that! And the roasted garlic was excellent.

Yay, another update. You cake was beautiful! I love HP..can't wait to go see Gringott's. I love Yachtsman. Those onion rolls are divine.

Jill in CO

Thanks for the review of the Yachtsman! My husband and I are going there for the first time at the end of August and this just made me feel much better about our choice.

Welcome back!!!!!!! Your time at Universal looks great and way for unexpected beer!

We just ate at Yachtsman for the first time last weekend and loved it too. Though didn't realize you could sub the potatoes, would have definitely traded my mashed ones out for something else.

Glad to see you back!! Enjoying the review :) Your Yachtsman Dinner looked delicious

Glad to be back! Yachtsman was fantastic and definitely our favorite signature restaurant to date (although in fairness, the only other Signature we've tried is Le Cellier, both pre and post becoming Signature.....and it's just not the same now :sad2:

So happy to see an update! I liked the Leaky Cauldron, but wasn't crazy about my sausage sandwich there so I would love to go back and try something else. And we loved Yachtsman when we ate there - I had the filet and it was great, but also a side of the mac and cheese which was incredible! Next time I'll just get that! And the roasted garlic was excellent.

I highly recommend the Shepard's Pie, if you tend to like that sort of thing in the real world (you know how some people are about food touching!) I wanted to try the mac and cheese sooooo badly - I feel like I'll need to go with more people than just the two of us to justify ordering a side, with our appetites the way they are!

Yay, another update. You cake was beautiful! I love HP..can't wait to go see Gringott's. I love Yachtsman. Those onion rolls are divine.

Jill in CO

Thank you for the cake compliment! I plan to order a recreation for our anniversary trip in August, here's hoping I like the taste better than compared to my memory of this past day.

Thanks for the review of the Yachtsman! My husband and I are going there for the first time at the end of August and this just made me feel much better about our choice.

You will simply love it, especially if you're steak people! (Even if you aren't, I'm pretty sure they have 2-3 non steak entrees, but trust me, if you eat steak at all, get the steak here!)

Welcome back!!!!!!! Your time at Universal looks great and way for unexpected beer!

We just ate at Yachtsman for the first time last weekend and loved it too. Though didn't realize you could sub the potatoes, would have definitely traded my mashed ones out for something else.

Our server mentioned any sides could be subbed out for fries, and Kevin jumped right at that! Next time I might try a side from another steak dish, we'll have to see if I can!

What a fabulous report! Congratulations on your marriage! I loved seeing your menus. Also, for someone who is pumpkin-obsessed, the martini and waffle sundae looked fantastic. Looking forward to reading more!

What a fabulous report! Congratulations on your marriage! I loved seeing your menus. Also, for someone who is pumpkin-obsessed, the martini and waffle sundae looked fantastic. Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks for reading along!! I forgot how much I love pumpkin stuff until I started going through this report again....yummy indeed!

Friday October 17th

Friday was an eventful yet uneventful morning for us - Kevin packed up our studio villa so we could switch to our one night at the Beach Club proper, while I ran over to MK to grab my very own Dooney & Bourke Haunted Mansion wristlet that had just come back in stock that day. Sweet victory indeed!

By the time I got back to Beach Club with my new purchase and we had thoroughly explored our new room, it was almost 11:00am and we we getting some serious stomach grumbles. So, where else would we go but one last foray back into Food & Wine? I must apologize in advance, for whatever reason the majority of my food pictures came out horribly blurry. But still, a blurry picture is better than no picture right?

Since we had a Test Track FP about to be valid, we headed in that direction, stopping for sustinence along the way.

Bunratty Meade Honey Wine - a resounding 4/10 from me (aka 'meh')

Of course, Honey Wine will not fill an empty stomach - luckily we were about to pass-

A super blurry "CraB'less CraB Cake", Pepper Slaw and Cajun Remoulade featuring Gardein. 5/10 for me, this was just average. Perhaps I might have appreciated it more were I actually vegetarian, but at the time it just seemed bland.

Of course, we couldn't walk by Odyssey without Kevin trying a beer! I want to say this was the Purple Haze, but to be honest I don't 100% remember. I can tell you all of the beers he sampled here were a little tame for him and not as flavorful as he usually likes.

After our spin on Test Track, Kevin was about ready to pass out from hunger, and all he wanted was chicken nuggets and fries from Liberty Inn (what can I say, creature of habit...) so he headed off to American Adventure while I made a few pit stops along the way for my more wordly lunch.

Kevin's chicken & fries in the background, and my Roasted pork lettuce wrap with kimchi slaw from South Korea (L) and Pepper Bacon Hash from Farm Fresh (R). The lettuce wrap gets another 5/10 from me, the pork was dry and for all the talk of the spice of kimchi, it just wasn't there. The pepper bacon hash however, was an outstanding 8.5/10. I wish I had a second helping of that! It had a nice kick while still being flavorful and not overwhlemingly hot, and the hollandaise in particular really stood out to me as bringing the whole dish together. Yum yum!

In my quest to wake up/complete a passport, I also grabbed this from the American Adventure Coffee Cart:

Apple Maple Spice Latte with Cinnamon Whipped Cream (iced). It was better once the whipped cream dissolved into the drink - I usually drink my iced coffee black but it was waaaaay too warm for hot coffee, so I give it a 6/10. Not something I would order if I wasn't trying to complete my passport ;)

Being that I take forever and a day to drink anything other than water, we headed next door to the Chase Lounge, aka the American Adventure Parlor, to see what was going on up there (and so I could get a glimpse of another Disney Wedding Venue!)

Booze for sale in the corner - I'll save my drinking for passport stamps thank you very much!

The insanely long line drawing Coke Freestyle Machines

The main parlor, for relaxing and demoing Disney Infinity

Kevin grabbed from free soda (I think he made Sprite Raspberry or some funky combination like that) and we played about 90 seconds of Disney Infinity before deciding to surrender the controls to the eagle-eyed children anxiously waiting for their turn to play. Overall I imagine the lounge might work better during the week - on a Friday at 1:30pm it was just way too crowded for our liking.

We hadn't visited Figment yet, so we headed down in that direction, and of course I had to stop to get another stamp!

Moet & Chandon Nectar Imperial - yummy and champagne-y and so refreshing! 7/10

Holy Friday afternoon crowds Batman!

After Figment, we visited the Festival Center to be really sure we didn't want to buy anything else (really sure!) and then decided to head back to Beach Club the long way around, so we (really I) could sample a few more booths.

I grabbed a Frozen Szarlotka in Poland - the only photo is in my hand, because it was gone so quickly! Totally delicious and so refreshing on a warm day 8/10

From Germany, the Berliner, which was a sad 3/10. I adored the strudel that previously was the 'dessert option' at the Germany booth, and so I was excited to try it's replacement - but was sorely disappointed. This was bland, doughy, and just generally blegh. Too much bred and not enough jam, and neither component tastes particularly exciting. Definitely a let down.

We had to stop in Italy to take a photo on the pavilion steps where we were married - now our new WDW tradition!

As we were about to head outside, I couldn't resist the call of L'Artisan des Glaces, so we dashed inside for one vanilla in a cup (Kevin) and one Cinnamon, Caramelized Apple & Crumble Crunch for me yet again. This flavor is one of those that makes it basically impossible for me to order anything else!

We headed back to our room to rest up a bit, and as the afternoon drew into night Kevin started to get hungry, so he ran down to the Marketplace for a flatbread pizza.

It wasn't anything special, but good enough - we'll give it a 6.5/10, docking for plainness. I had probably one or two more bites of this than he would have liked, so we took this as a sign to head back into Epcot for F&W - Dinner Edition.

The park was FAR busier at 6:30 on a Friday night, so I sent Kevin to a separate booth so we could divide and conquer.

Potato and Leek Waffle with Beer Braised Beef from Belgium - yummy and hearty! Though I could have done without the random butter pad. Overall great flavors and something I would repeat 7/10

Cocada - Brazillian Cotton Candy. This was just meh. 4/10, no flavor, nothing to it really. Just a waste of stomach space!

A beautiful Epcot sunset

As the sun went down, the park became exponentially more crowded, so we decided to seek refuge at our room, where we discovered we had a (sort of) view of Illuminations!

Whoooo!

And with the fireworks over, it was time for bed - we were getting on the DISNEY FANTASY in the morning!! And man, was I excited to EAT on the Disney Fantasy!

Last edited:
Looks like a great last day in the world. You two really took advantage of F&W and I'm infinitely jealous of how much food (and adult beverage) you all got into one day. Can't wait to hear how the cruise was

Mmm, you are getting me ready for F&W this year! Friday nights are always insanely crowded....but looks like you still had a good time!

Jill in CO

Looks like a great last day in the world. You two really took advantage of F&W and I'm infinitely jealous of how much food (and adult beverage) you all got into one day. Can't wait to hear how the cruise was

We really wanted to take advantage of staying at Beach Club during F&W! I think the lack of proper QS there is really minimized when you have F&W going on right next door.

What can I say......we're Disney drinkers :drinking1Just don't judge us when we get to the cruise!

Mmm, you are getting me ready for F&W this year! Friday nights are always insanely crowded....but looks like you still had a good time!

Jill in CO

They are PACKED! A lot of our family went on Friday/Saturday when they were in for the wedding, but our parents went back on a Wednesday and were amazed how less crowded it was. Just goes to show you that visiting during the week is far better!

Your wedding pictures are amazing! The Mickey waffles look delicious!! Can't wait to hear about the cruise food!

I can't see your cruise portion. :) We've talked about doing a cruise so it will be nice to see a review on it.

I loved your F&W choices. They are almost exactly what I would have picked as well.

Your wedding pictures are amazing! The Mickey waffles look delicious!! Can't wait to hear about the cruise food!

Thank you!! Mickey waffles do look even more delicious when photographed with a nice camera :lmao:

I can't see your cruise portion. :) We've talked about doing a cruise so it will be nice to see a review on it.

I loved your F&W choices. They are almost exactly what I would have picked as well.

I might even love DCL food even more than WDW food now because of our cruise. Amazing!!

I'm quite sad to see no Pepper Bacon Hash at this year's F&W. Not like we'll be there to enjoy it, but sad to see a favorite go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter