studios on new years eve

marksmith

Mouseketeer
We are thinking about 730 Illiminations at EPCOT on New Years Eve and then dinner and over to studios btwn 9-10. We know it will be crowded but really just want to see osborne lights and midnight fireworks.

For those who have done New Years before-do we risk not getting into the Studios at this time-due to crowd park closure at the studios? Have the studios ever closed due to crowds? Thanks

We are thinking about 730 Illiminations at EPCOT on New Years Eve and then dinner and over to studios btwn 9-10. We know it will be crowded but really just want to see osborne lights and midnight fireworks.

For those who have done New Years before-do we risk not getting into the Studios at this time-due to crowd park closure at the studios? Have the studios ever closed due to crowds? Thanks

The Studios is the second-most-likely park to "close" (after MK) on a busy day.

Epcot can be super-busy, but it can accommodate far more guests than the Studios.

DAK is least-likely to "close" on a busy day, as it has much shorter operating hours and no "evening show."

Last year we went directly from EPCOT's 7:30pm early bird show (watched from Germany) to DHS via ferry (a direct one too). So we got there about 8-8:30pm.

It's was insanely crowded, especially come 10pm when everyone flooded the area in front of the Hat. (They had live bands playing.)

I don't know if the park closed to onsite guests after we arrived. My best advice is to get there closer to 9 than 10pm. When you do, make your way to whatever side of Mickey's Hat you want to be on for the fireworks. We went on some rides first and tried to get from Sunset Blvd over to Dolly's. Right at the corner of Sunset and Hollywood, the crowd was deadlocked in all directions. We made it through but it took a lot of time and patience.

thanks for the reply. Can you confirm if the 730 Illuminations is the same enhanced display shown at midnight?

We are staying our first three nights at GF and transfering to the Swan for 12/31. We will have seen the "regular" illuminations a couple of days earlier(and several times prior), but 12/31 would be our only chance to see Osborne lights and Fireworks at the studios(we have never seen either before)

If the 730 Illuminations is "enhanced/worth it"(opinions please) we would try the park hop scenario you folks did(good advise to get there immediately after EPCOT). In short my fear, is getting actually turned away at the studios.

Also, can you confirm a direct launch from EPCOT to Studios or do they all stop at the resorts on the way? Thanks alot.

There is no direct boat from Epcot to DHS - it stops at the resorts. You can walk in about the same amount of time the boat takes, if you're up for it.

thanks for the reply. Can you confirm if the 730 Illuminations is the same enhanced display shown at midnight?

We are staying our first three nights at GF and transfering to the Swan for 12/31. We will have seen the "regular" illuminations a couple of days earlier(and several times prior), but 12/31 would be our only chance to see Osborne lights and Fireworks at the studios(we have never seen either before)

If the 730 Illuminations is "enhanced/worth it"(opinions please) we would try the park hop scenario you folks did(good advise to get there immediately after EPCOT). In short my fear, is getting actually turned away at the studios.

Also, can you confirm a direct launch from EPCOT to Studios or do they all stop at the resorts on the way? Thanks alot.

This was a direct launch because of the night and time. They were trying to move guests as efficiently as possible from one park to the next because they knew we were park hopping. The other ferries dispatched that night stopped at the resorts.

Whether they do it every NYE, I can't say. I've only done that once and that was last year.

The previous year we went to early bird EPCOT fireworks then hopped to DTD for those fireworks and back to DHS for EMH. We were never turned away from any of our destinations.

Honestly, I don't know that EPCOT does anything different at midnight from 7:30pm on NYE. We've always been told by CMs (we pre-register for a wheelchair viewing spot) that they are the same. It seems like they are just the regular Illuminations followed by the seasonal Peace on Earth tag. What is more special are all the parties that start up around the countries. After dark that place is hopping with party people. We go for the atmosphere and it is our only night to see Illuminations during our NYE trip.

One thing to keep in mind, the bathrooms are absolutely jammed from 40 minutes before fireworks. I got caught last year when we sat for our 7:30pm spot (arrived at 6:45pm and thought I could pop over to the bathroom). Whatever you do, don't hold it in expecting to go later. If you see an empty bathroom after dark, use it.

If you get caught like me, the bathrooms at the International Gateway (outside the park) are usually empty. I never thought I'd be so grateful for indoor plumbing.

Given what you said, I'd recommend you skip EPCOT and stick to DHS that day. Go for the 6pm start to Osborne. That way you can see the opening ceremony and appreciate the street transforming at night. Plan to eat at DHS and chill. Maybe try for a ride or two. They have EMH that night so the rides and osborne are going until 3am. (After 2am, Osborne is pretty much empty. We got fantastic pictures last year just hanging on the street all by ourselves.) Also if you stay for EMH you'll avoid most of the traffic that floods out of Disney come 12:30am. Last year, the traffic jam on I-4 lasted 4 hours. The year we hopped from DTD it took our bus driver 90 minutes to get through. We arrived after 1:30am and stayed till 3.

We pace ourselves NYE and sleep in that morning. We know we'll be putting in a 12 hour day starting in the afternoon.

I stand corrected by BroganMc. There wasn't a direct launch on NYE around 5 PM when we headed over from Beach Club that I noticed. Perhaps they started it later or I just didn't see it.

really good insight, thank you. I think i would reorganize our days, but we have local family joining us for 2 of our 4 days. We are doing EPCOT on the 29th(candelight processional) and will take advantage of the prefered viewimg that night for illuminations.

I have never heard of the studios closing, so we will probably do the epcot-mgm hop and hope for the best. It sounds like fun enjoying the atmosphere w/ the world showcase parties for a few hours as you mentioned. we are planning to head over to epcot around 500(i dont think there will be an access problem). Adrenlain for my daughter and champagne for my wife will hopefully keep us moving.

If we are too tired in late afternoon, I think studios only as we really want to see osbornes and fireworks there would seem neat and something we would otherwise never see.

We too are from MD and have been to WDW many times, but our very excited for our firdt holiday trip. Thanks again, for your help.

Given what you said, I'd recommend you skip EPCOT and stick to DHS that day. Go for the 6pm start to Osborne. That way you can see the opening ceremony and appreciate the street transforming at night.We pace ourselves NYE and sleep in that morning. We know we'll be putting in a 12 hour day starting in the afternoon.

I can vouche for BroganMc's advice. SHe is usually RIGHT ON the money! You will save yourself a LOT of trouble if you heed her warnings!!

;)

I was at Epcot last new years eve and saw both firework shows and I think the midnight one was different than the early one. It began around 11:40 and ran quite awhile.

Bobbi:goodvibes

The turnstile master computer at each park keeps track of both entries and exits. When a park capacity closes (which is done in stages) there has to be a certain number of people exiting, with the total "in park" below a certain number, before they start allowing people in again.

I am low enough on the totem pole that I have no idea what these numbers are.

There are four stages to park closing:

Stage 1 - The parking lot entrance is closed. You can only access the park if you are using Disney Transportation.

Stage 2 - The ticket windows are all closed (and the automated Ticket Vending Machines are turned off). Unless you already have a ticket you cannot get in.

Stage 3 - Only people with Annual Passes or current Resort IDs will be allowed in.

Stage 4 - Nobody is allowed in.

Note - having restaurant reservations in a park, even with written proof, will not override a stage closing for you.

Also, if you are staying at a Disney owned and operated Resort and have a ticket, you are guaranteed entry into A park. Not necessarily the one you want (unless you want to go into AK). And if you have entered and left a park and do not have a hopper you may not get into anything.

We were in Epcot for NYE last year, and while I can't guarantee it, I'm pretty sure the early show was NOT the same as the midnight one. Illuminations itself may have been the same, but there was definitely an extra "countdown" at midnight, with each country showcased in its own fireworks show. We didn't notice it earlier in the evening, though we were eating dinner in Italy around the time the first Illuminations was going on.

Maybe 2007/08 NYE was on off year, but my DF and I went to dinner offsite and showed up at DHS around 10:30 and had no problem getting in. Yes, it was crowded...we didn't even bother trying to ride ToT or RnRC, but definitely manageable. We walked through the Osbourne Lights, saw the Muppets 3D move with no wait, and generally just moseyed about until closer to midnight when we made our way to the hat. We were relatively close to the hat...off to the left a bit, but had a great view of the fireworks at 12.

We didn't plan any of this...our plan was to stay at Epcot all day, but it was too crowded and hot for us to last 15 hours in the parks. We went back to the hotel, napped, showered, ate offsite and took a chance that DHS would be open. One of the best nights I've spent in the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter