Studio or 1br at okw?

maja36

Earning My Ears
We're going as first time dvc owners to okw and I'm wondering whether to use all our points for 1 br or to use only 1/2 points for studio.

How much better is it really?

I know we can't travel again till next year since we are in Canada so we will only do 1 week (including sat and sun).

There's 4 incl 2yo and 7yo, dh and me.

I know about the full kitchen, but do you really cook down there? Laundry, well that makes sense.

Jacuzzi, well we don't really need that obviously.

For those who have tried both, any opinions please?

And if we don't go into 1br I would transfer the points to another member and get some cash for them (to help for airfare).

Our kids are 8 and 12 now but when they were smaller, we loved the one bedroom for many reasons but here are a few:

1. Laundry as you mentioned. So necessary with young ones...and you can pack lighter too!

2. Space! Young kids love to move around and there will be plenty of room.

3. Separate rooms. You may not have jacuzzi-like privacy but there will be times you can lay on the bed and watch your tv while they watch something else in living area.

4. Food: you can certainly have some meals there. The best especially for a family with 3 small children is to have breakfast there. Stop and get some cereal, bread, eggs, whatever and you'll save tons of time and money. If you decide to go back to room and nap at lunchtime, bring in some lunch foods too. We always get coldcuts, etc. that can always be handy for lunch and/or dinner.

5. Jacuzzi: you may not get to use it, but kids may love it. Sad to say, only our kids have used it to this point of our lives but they LOVE it. Especially on a rainy day when there's nothing to do, give 'em the bubbles of a jacuzzi and they are totally satisfied.

Whatever you decide, have fun!!!!

Joan

thanks Joan, your points have helped seal our decision... especially the part about the 2 tvs, my dh will appreciate that.

thanks for taking the time to give me your point of view.

And the one bedroom is HUGE! You and your family will be able to really spread out. A studio is crampted, because it has two queen beds in it, and there is nowhere for the kids to go to. That jacuzzi will give them tons of fun if you bring down some bubble bath when you come. They will have a bathtub full, like a tub of shaving cream. I loved it, myself! :goodvibes

If you're going for an entire week, I think you will really appreciate the extra space of a 1 BR, especially with children. You guys will be able to spread out and truly relax during those times you aren't at the park. The kids will have the space to spread out and play and be kids without you as the parent going crazy trying to keep them quiet in a small contained space. Of course once you try it, there's no going back! Enjoy....

Thanks everyone, it's official, and we'll try the 1 br. We probably will spend most of our time around the resort since my dh is sick of the parks and my little guy will only be 2.

So the large room should help since we'll be there probably quite a bit.

Thanks for helping us make our decision!!!!

The bad part about doing the one bedroom is that once you do a 1 bedroom you'll be spoiled for the studio. :)

That aside, we've never stayed in a studio, but I agree with the previous points regarding the one bedroom. While we don't do alot of cooking when on vacation, the kitchen saves time for breakfast and we do alot of mini meals for the children. After an afternoon of swimming, it is always great to cook up a pot of mac and cheese or a quick hot dog or sandwich. It's also great because it will give them something to hold them over till we get to a meal. The washer and dryer come in real handy, although somehow I always over pack. :goodvibes

My children use the jacuzzi as their own personal pool and I always find time to get at least one soak to myself.

Lisa :)

Glad to see the 2 TVs is the big appeal for someone else too. DH watches sports constantly-I watch Disney stuff, Disney commercials, daily happenings, Disney cartoons, etc. If we had to put up with each others' viewing habits, we'd go crazy! Another big plus for us-that porch off the 1 BR is fantastic!

The 1bdrm is also particularly nice with small children as you can put them to bed (at night or for naps) and not have to tip toe around being quiet afterwards. It's so nice to put them down in a separate room and then be able to be up and enjoy ;)

In 1992, when DVC was young and many wondered how successful it would be, the main draw was, besides the WDW location of course, the wonderful one bedroom at OKW! It was huge! It was creatively furnished and designed. It had wonderfully large windows and many angled walls. It had lots of tile and lots of wood. The kitchen was bright and extra roomy and bathed in natural light. The appliances were full sized, the utility room was bedroom sized. The bathroom was grand. The TV's were big (by 1992 standards). In combination with the much less exciting and spacious studio, it formed the equally amazing 2BR.

I do not think you should be choosing between a 1BR and a studio. That choice is too incredibly easy. I think your real choice should be between the 1BR and the 2BR. The point difference is only a few points (6 points per night during value season) and well worth it.

I am glad you had decided not to miss this "not to be missed room!"

If spending the extra points is not totally abhorrent to you, then go for the 1BR. The extra room and "separateness" of space alone will be worth it. Think of it...if the 2 year old naps, he/she can be in the master bedroom while everyone else is in the "great room" (combo living, dining, kitchen). No continuous "shushing", no need to keep the TV very low or off. The laundry makes it easy to pack lighter. The kitchen can save you some money...it also maximizes your park time. Think of it this way...get up, throw an easy breakfast at the kids (cereal, toast..whatever) and off you go. Now think of getting up, getting everybody out the door, getting to a place that serves breakfast, waiting for a seat, waiting for service, waitiing for food, waiting for the check.

I say, 1BR all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter