studio meal ideas

disneycrazed139

DIS Veteran
I think we will do breakfast in our studio, eat a big late lunch out, and snack later in the day. Does anyone have any good ideas for easy meals with the studio kitchenettes? I know I saw a thread about this somewhere but can't find it. Thanks!

BTW, I am allergic to wheat, so any ideas that don't include sandwiches?

We stayed (as non DVC members) at OKW last July 2003. We did breakfast in the room every morning. From simple cereal, toast to oatmeal, bagles and cream cheese for breakfast. Lunch we too did out most days. Sandwiches could be packed for lunch at the parks. There are many options for dinner too. Anything you can make with boiling water is possible. Soup can be heated up, coffee made and more.

Salads are easy too with chicken or tuna for protein. I think saving money in the morning is important for our family as it also saved us time. Lunch we usually did out and combined it with dinner by eating later then normal in some cases.

Look for microvave items and you are set.

Laurie

I bet you read alot of food labels too - I have several allergies - anyway - do you have a car - if so - then the local grocery store has lots and lots of mircowave stuff. - the problems it either needs to be kept frozen until cooked or it has alot of sodium (that is not my problem - but mother has high blood pressure.) the freezer part of the small refrigerator is only big enough for the ice trays and maybe a pint of ice cream.

I cook at home before hand - hard freeze - take one one of those collapse ice chest with us and we are fine for the week - all wdw resorts have alot of ice - besides my stuff is still frozen hard - so it is good for the entire 5 days.

I use to bring cookies too - but mother kept eating all the cookies in the car on the way down.....

If you're driving, bring along a crock pot. Then you can have home-made stew or brisket without much work. (The smell of it cooking all day, however, may bring a line of other hungry DVCers to your door!)

I second the crock-pot idea. I have used my slow-cooker in the room once, and it was so nice coming back to the room after a day at the park and knowing dinner would not require waiting in line! Anything you fix at home could be frozen, then carried in your cooler to your room. I have bought the Stouffer's frozen lasagna(that feeds an army) and taken it to WDW in the cooler(we have a big coleman). It thaws slightly during the drive to WDW(9-10 hours), then we put it in the refrigerator when we get into our room and bake it the 2nd or 3rd night there. Because the lasagna is frozen, I think it helps keep our water bottles colder in the cooler. I know you won't have an oven in the studio; I was just pointing out that frozen food travels well(if you are driving). You could take a frozen roast and pre-cut vegetables with you for the crock-pot, or perhaps some frozen chicken breast(there are a ton of crock-pot chicken recipes in cyberspace). There is also a microwave steamer dish(at Wal-mart for @$12) if you wanted steamed veggies. A lot of things can be prepared in a microwave. We always do exactly what you are planning to do...breakfast in the room, and our lunch out. I sometimes bring an electric skillet for sausage, bacon, pancakes, and eggs(the non-stick skillet at OKW was not very good a few years ago) if we will be there for more than 4 days(my limit for instant oatmeal, bagels, and cold cereal). I made a chicken stir-fry in this for dinner 1 night, too. Having a few snacks in the room cuts down on my kids' trips to the counter service restaurant at the pool and the Boardwalk bakery!

Well, according to a thread over on the Budget Board, MRE's are supposed to be quite tasty. ;) ;) (But if you get anywhere near that thread, prepare to duck and cover) ;) :p

LOL...I read that post about the MREs. YUCK! I know they probably taste good if you've been in the desert for a few months...but I can't imagine eating one in the middle of the World with lots of other great options surrounding me!

I made a mexican chicken salad recipe today...an old favorite...and I was thinking about how good this would be to come "home" to when we're at Disney in June. It would be a great studio meal.

2 cups diced cooked chicken (you could use rotisserie or canned)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn with red/green peppers, drained
1 large tomato - diced
1 purple onion - chopped
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/3 cup chopped cilantro

Dressing

1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp dijon mustard
6 tbsp lime
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

The dressing is a home made red wine vinegarette...but you could probably find some kind of southwestern dressing and skip the lime and cilantro...that would work just fine. Serve with lettuce and tortillas or just scoop it up with tortilla chips.

you can cook bacon in the mircowave - if you don't have a bacon pan - then just put them on paper towlets -

eggs - scramble in one of the mugs provided by the resort - then mircowave -

who can also broil water in the mircowave - so you can also have the eggs hard broiled - although I generally bring these with me in the cooler.

There are also the pre-cooked meats in teh refrigerated food section at the grocery store. BBQ Pork and taco meat, you just reheat in the container and you can have the BBQ pork as sandwiches or alone, and the taco meat makes great taco salad when tossed with lettuce,cheese, tomato and salsa. If you're driving or wnat to carry a cooler, you can prepare thes ahead of time and freeze them, then just reheat int he microwave.
The tupperware stack cooker is a wonderful tool that I use when we are staying in a studio in particular. You can cook a three course meal for a family of four in about 25 minutes and the microwave only needs to be large enough to fit a dinner plate. I make meatloaf, baked apples and mashed potatoes/ breaded chicken, peach cobbler and buttered egg noodles, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter