Student enrolled after bringing gun to school

msemomofthree

Earning My Ears
I'm coming out of "lurkdom" to post this because I'd like to get a variety of opinions.

Long story as short as possible, my children go to a TINY school in the same city where there is a much larger public school system. A student was expelled last year for bringing a gun to school on several occasions, and pointing it at the head of a student on one - or two, depending on the news source - occasion.

This student just enrolled in my daughters' school. Would you be okay with this? Would you fear for your children's safety, thinking this person has already shown a tendency toward violence in the school? Or would you think that this could be in the student's past, and everyone deserves a second chance after serving their sentenced time?

A group of parents (my DH and I included) have a meeting with two administrators in an hour, so I doubt I'll get many responses before then, but I'd still like to hear everyone's take on this.

My two basic questions for the school are, "Why did you think this student was a good fit for this school with this kind of history?" And, "What steps are you taking to ensure that my child is in a safe learning environment?" Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you!

I'm coming out of "lurkdom" to post this because I'd like to get a variety of opinions.

Long story as short as possible, my children go to a TINY school in the same city where there is a much larger public school system. A student was expelled last year for bringing a gun to school on several occasions, and pointing it at the head of a student on one - or two, depending on the news source - occasion.

This student just enrolled in my daughters' school. Would you be okay with this? Would you fear for your children's safety, thinking this person has already shown a tendency toward violence in the school? Or would you think that this could be in the student's past, and everyone deserves a second chance after serving their sentenced time?

A group of parents (my DH and I included) have a meeting with two administrators in an hour, so I doubt I'll get many responses before then, but I'd still like to hear everyone's take on this.

My two basic questions for the school are, "Why did you think this student was a good fit for this school with this kind of history?" And, "What steps are you taking to ensure that my child is in a safe learning environment?" Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you!

It's likely the administrators won't share anything with you. I'm curious what age the student is. Were charges filed? They should have been. As a parent, I feel for you. As an educator, the school's hands are often tied. Good luck.

Be aware that even in a private school setting I am pretty sure the administrators cannot tell you anything in particular about this student (like why he is a good fit for the school, or anything specifically aimed at him and him alone that would affect safety).

General safety concerns as they apply to all should be able to be addressed though (ie, what is done to ensure weapons are not brought onto school property would be a valid question that should be answered, how can we be sure JOhnny will not have a gun, is not.)

I also wonder about the age of this student. Is this a young child in first or second grade, or a high schooler? :confused3

since the kid is being enrolled mid school year I would assume that he either (1) was expelled from the public schools, or (2) was given the option to disenroll from public so that an expulsion didn't show on his record.

we had this issue with a private school my kids attended-ended up with several kids who were kicked out of public for very valid reasons (violence primarily). the private was religious based though and had the mindset that w/prayer anyone could change, everyone deserved a second chance....

I would want to know what safety measures have been put in place. push came to shove at the school my kids attended-I witnessed one kid they accepted try to physically attack another, the teacher was able to 'talk down' the attacker but he came close to slamming a chair over the head of another student. I went to the principal, said I was taking my kids out for a week which would provide enough time for the board to meet and determine a plan of action to protect the students/staff including expulsion of the offending student. at the end of the week I expected to be notified and I would determine if my kids would be returning.

kid was suspended (not long enough in my opinion), they put some safety measures into place we could live with so our kids returned (after we moved though another kid wreaked havoc on other kids but nothing was done until he tried to cut the break lines on the principal's car:scared::scared:).

be prepared to do what it takes (including transferring your kids elsewhere) to ensure their safety.

Just for clarification, the student is now 16, 15 when the incident happened. The incident happened at a school my children do not go to. He was expelled from that school and is now enrolled at my DDs' school.

I'm not necessarily looking for info on that child (Google can get me that - and has), but more for answers on why a hypothetical student who has a history of violence would even be considered for enrollment.

And from here, mostly I'm wondering if having a student in this situation in your kids' school - not in the same classroom - would make you worry.

Also, my DDs' school is a public charter school. So, it falls under the same State Dept of Education laws, but also with Charter School Laws. It is free, open to the public. But they do have an enrollment application/process. So, not really the, "My kid is in this school's boundaries, so this is where he'll go," kind of thing.

For privacy reasons I cannot believe the school will discuss this child with you at all or his reasons for being expelled from school. They will probably only reassure the safety measures the school has in place and that's about it. I'd also be curious his age. Is this school private or Catholic? That makes a huge difference. Private schools are more selective where Catholic schools usually take everyone if they can pay the tuition.

Just for clarification, the student is now 16, 15 when the incident happened. The incident happened at a school my children do not go to. He was expelled from that school and is now enrolled at my DDs' school.

I'm not necessarily looking for info on that child (Google can get me that - and has), but more for answers on why a hypothetical student who has a history of violence would even be considered for enrollment.

And from here, mostly I'm wondering if having a student in this situation in your kids' school - not in the same classroom - would make you worry.

Also, my DDs' school is a public charter school. So, it falls under the same State Dept of Education laws, but also with Charter School Laws. It is free, open to the public. But they do have an enrollment application/process. So, not really the, "My kid is in this school's boundaries, so this is where he'll go," kind of thing.

It could be he is being enrolled to meet the letter of the law. It could also be that he is on a contract whereby any minimal offense gets him removed. There is no way you'll know this. Charter schools in our state have a lot more leeway in removing students.

Being enrolled in school is often/always a requirement of probation. A judge may have ordered this, and to meet the judge's ruling, he must enroll somewhere, and this may be the easiest option for the district to educate him, or to meet the requirement that he be educated. There's just so much that could be going on behind the scenes that you can't and won't know.

It also may be a temporary placement. Expulsions aren't indefinite. Here, they can only last 180 days.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that minors names shouldn't be in the newspaper if they were involved in a crime.

Maybe that's a state law...

It could be he is being enrolled to meet the letter of the law. It could also be that he is on a contract whereby any minimal offense gets him removed. There is no way you'll know this. Charter schools in our state have a lot more leeway in removing students.

Being enrolled in school is often/always a requirement of probation. A judge may have ordered this, and to meet the judge's ruling, he must enroll somewhere, and this may be the easiest option for the district to educate him, or to meet the requirement that he be educated. There's just so much that could be going on behind the scenes that you can't and won't know.

It also may be a temporary placement. Expulsions aren't indefinite. Here, they can only last 180 days.

laws vary state to state. we lived in California when we had our issues and possessing a firearm legally OBLIGATED the public school to expel, with no readmission review for a full calendar year (unless the governing board of an individual school wanted to set an earlier review date). the county we lived in provided a distance learning option for kids with expulsions that also met the criteria for probation clients (parents often opted out of this in favor of a forgiving private religious school b/c they didn't want to/couldn't provide the mandated supervision (read-adult in the home w/the kid/teen during traditional school hours) component. if a kid was facing legal charges and would be doing time in juvie then their ed program met the mandate.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that minors names shouldn't be in the newspaper if they were involved in a crime.

Maybe that's a state law...

It's not law. It's something the media does as a courtesy. Generally, they only list a minor's name if the crime is severe.

As a parent honestly I am an over protective parent and I would be pulling my kids out of that school and finding a different 1.

It's not law. It's something the media does as a courtesy. Generally, they only list a minor's name if the crime is severe.
+1

As to the OP... I would also want to know if he was charged with a crime (the school probably can't answer that, but your googling should). Was he convicted (may or may not be available).

I don't know what charter school enrollment requirements are, but do they even have the OPTION of not allowing him to enroll?

On the other side of the coin, make sure your child is aware of what to do IF the unthinkable happens. (Hide, run, be aware of personal safety first and foremost.) Let your child know it is okay to move furniture in a room to block the door, things like that.

Does your school allow your child to carry a cell phone? The second this other child enters the school, that rule is out the window.

We JUST had a safety in the workplace class so I'm all educated and fresh on what do to. The one thing I never would think of is to always have your cell in your pocket in case you have to run, then when you are hiding and call 911, TURN YOUR RINGER OFF so that your location can't be heard.

Just for clarification, the student is now 16, 15 when the incident happened. The incident happened at a school my children do not go to. He was expelled from that school and is now enrolled at my DDs' school. I'm not necessarily looking for info on that child (Google can get me that - and has), but more for answers on why a hypothetical student who has a history of violence would even be considered for enrollment. And from here, mostly I'm wondering if having a student in this situation in your kids' school - not in the same classroom - would make you worry. Also, my DDs' school is a public charter school. So, it falls under the same State Dept of Education laws, but also with Charter School Laws. It is free, open to the public. But they do have an enrollment application/process. So, not really the, "My kid is in this school's boundaries, so this is where he'll go," kind of thing.

Yes, it would make me worry, and I'd be looking at other school options right away.

When my younger DD was in high school; she casually mentioned that one boy had GPS monitoring from the court due to assault with a knife. He was very open about it.

It didn't phase my DD or any of the other teens although all kept their distance from the boy.

It is tough to make a judgment call based on media reports and second hand knowledge. You really don't know what happened, only what was reported to happen.

I do not believe, no matter how many parents are upset, that the school will not allow this teen to attend. It sounds like they, legally, must accept this student if he/she cannot attend the "main" high school.

It will be up to each parent to decide if they are going to keep their child in this charter school with a potentially dangerous student.

Personally? I would find another school.....if something were to happen, you would never forgive yourself for not taking action.

The only questions they are going to be able to answer are general: "what policies are in place to deal with a student with a gun" They are not going to be able to answer anything that pertains to THAT student at all.

As for changing schools, well, how are you going to know or not know if you change schools and all 30 of the other kids in your kids class have had violent behavior? You can't. You may be moving from bad to worse. Most schools have discipline problems, you just happen to know about this one.

Its very possible that this kid is doing more than changing schools. He could be attending sessions with a psychologist and/or going to anger management classes. And there could be a contract between him, his parents and the school that if there are any discipline incidents he will be expelled. Expulsion isn't always their first option any more. Many schools try to do as much as possible to help a kid and expulsion is the last option.

Unfortunately I'm sure they will just tell you something along the lines of "we are taking the proper precautions to ensure you student's safety. I work at a public high school and the rule of thumb is you don't hold their past troubles against them whether they transfer in or what. We have several students that transferred here because they were expelled from another school. Even students that start and finish school here we are told each year start wig a "clean slate". I had a student in one course as a freshman that was constantly causing problems--refusing to work, cussing at me and students, etc. sent him to the office several times. I was told perhaps I should make him teachers helper/pet...um heck no. Fast forward to students senior year and they were going to put him in another class of mine because he was misbehaving in another class and threatening students. I offered my concerns from freshman year and was told, "well that was freshman year, we cant hold that against him." Of course I still had discipline issues, but such is life. As is the motto in this school "everyone needs a chance"....apparently they get second, third, fourth, et al chances too

I would make sure your student had a cell phone with them and knew where to go/what to do. If this child has had multiple instances I personally done see why he would suddenly stop.

I will preface by saying I didn't read all the replies.

Now as to why a school would allow a student with a violent past to enroll...(I am assuming it is a public/charter school)....according to the Federal Law every child is entitled to a Free and Appropriate Education. Having said that any students have reason be it violent behavior or mental issues that prevent them from being in the mainstream classroom. Kids that have been proven to be a danger to other students may be placed as "home bound" students. These students do not attend class normally but come to the school to either an enclosed class away from other students or after normal school hours and are given instruction by a teacher in that setting. Typically the teacher is a special Ed teacher with training and experience with children with their particular needs.

I was wondering why a private school would ever accept a student like that, but I see that the school is a public charter school. I guess there isn't much you can do. As a parent, I would have a huge problem with my children's school accepting a teen who put a gun to someone's head. My kids went to a very strict private school, so all the trouble makers were weeded out and none were accepted from other schools. I feel for you. It wouldn't be a good feeling to have to worry about a violent teen at your child's school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter