Stuck on monorail for a long time!!!

kandb

DIS Veteran
I read of a poster saying they were once stuck on the monorail for 3 hours. :sad2: I really could not even phathom? being stuck in one of those crowded capsules for that long. To anyone who has this happen to them, what do you possibly do for that long? Do people freak out? Does Disney let you know when they are going rescue you? What does someone who has the use the restrooms do? Is the A/C on? I took the monorail once, from MK to the Poly our past trip this past Sept, and it was only because the boats weren't running due to lightning. I avoid them because I wouldn't be good company in a stuck monorail. :thumbsup2

I read of a poster saying they were once stuck on the monorail for 3 hours. :sad2: I really could not even phathom? being stuck in one of those crowded capsules for that long. To anyone who has this happen to them, what do you possibly do for that long? Do people freak out? Does Disney let you know when they are going rescue you? What does someone who has the use the restrooms do? Is the A/C on? I took the monorail once, from MK to the Poly our past trip this past Sept, and it was only because the boats weren't running due to lightning. I avoid them because I wouldn't be good company in a stuck monorail. :thumbsup2

I avoid it too, break downs lately are way too frequent.

I have been stuck twice on my last trip alone.
Most people took it in stride.
I was upset and I posted about it complaining but of course you get the happy people saying just go with it. But when you spend so much money and your days are limited it is a big disappointment. You don't want to spend it standing on a crowded Monorail.

The Monorail used to be this magical thing when we were kids, now it can be such a pain that we avoid it when we can.

On another trip in colder weather we were there and this is when there was the gap between the rail between the GF and the MK. It took each train like 15 mins to get over it.

So sad to see them in this state.

I have been stuck twice on my last trip alone.
Most people took it in stride.
I was upset and I posted about it complaining but of course you get the happy people saying just go with it. But when you spend so much money and your days are limited it is a big disappointment. You don't want to spend it standing on a crowded Monorail.

The Monorail used to be this magical thing when we were kids, now it can be such a pain that we avoid it when we can.

On another trip in colder weather we were there and this is when there was the gap between the rail between the GF and the MK. It took each train like 15 mins to get over it.

So sad to see them in this state.

While I understand your situation, please also remember that other people spend just as much money, drive to Disney World and have cars break down with no way of getting back home until that's fixed. That can take days and another thousand dollars to get everything worked out. I think a person like that would gladly take a few stuck moments on a monorail. I don't want to lessen your experience but remember - for every bad moment you live, someone else is living a worse one.

We avoided the monorail on our last trip because of all the breakdowns I had read about. I completely understand things happen, but i know I would have a hard time being stuck for a long time. I am not claustrophobic, but the monorail trip from TTC to Epcot is almost longer than I can stand to be on the monorail.

From your post, it sounds like you really don't like monorails :)

I've been in monorails that have been stuck for a while but never three hours. The worst situation was at Epcot while the train was in the station and the operators received word they couldn't move - after everyone boarded. Announcements were made, doors were opened and people were told they could leave and come back. We stayed and did have a good time since the Cast Members could freely walk between cars and they talked to us the entire half hour we sat there.

However, I have to agree that three hours in a car up in the air would be a problem. I would have to use the rest room during that time. I am the type of person that would want to know "why" instead of "when" and Disney sometimes doesn't do the "why" and the "when" could be "we anticipate moving shortly". And I would be a person who would not avoid an eye roll if someone else was short on patience.

But - my husband is the opposite. While he would be trying to deal with me, he would also be looking around and trying to engage the other passengers in conversation or smiles. That goes a long way.

In short - be my husband, don't be me.

While I understand your situation, please also remember that other people spend just as much money, drive to Disney World and have cars break down with no way of getting back home until that's fixed. That can take days and another thousand dollars to get everything worked out. I think a person like that would gladly take a few stuck moments on a monorail. I don't want to lessen your experience but remember - for every bad moment you live, someone else is living a worse one.

It's not a contest, it was my personal experience.
One trip many years ago and my DW grandmother passed away.
Crap happens to many people many times.

The idea of the post was not how to deal with personal disappointment but rather about the dismal state of the Disney Monorail system.

And the fact of the matter was it was not a few stuck moments, it was hours. We were leaving EPCOT on our way to the MK for the night and to see Wishes, our only opportunity that trip.
We did miss Wishes by the way. And we did leave with plenty of time to get there not factoring in a two hour delay.

I am the type of person that would want to know "why" instead of "when" and Disney sometimes doesn't do the "why" and the "when" could be "we anticipate moving shortly".

Off topic but the last time we were there Winnie the Pooh broke down. Of course they have a the cute why. Pooh spilled honey on the tracks.

We were right up front next to the ride operator stand and being the technical person I am, I enjoyed watching the process of them stopping the ride, getting the folks off, fixing the problem and getting the ride back up again more than the ride.

They dealt with the situation so quickly and calmly. People came out of the walls and everyone had a job. This is one of those things that makes Disney heads and shoulders above the rest.

Off topic but the last time we were there Winnie the Pooh broke down. Of course they have a the cute why. Pooh spilled honey on the tracks. We were right up front next to the ride operator stand and being the technical person I am, I enjoyed watching the process of them stopping the ride, getting the folks off, fixing the problem and getting the ride back up again more than the ride. They dealt with the situation so quickly and calmly. People came out of the walls and everyone had a job. This is one of those things that makes Disney heads and shoulders above the rest.

That might have been the same day we were there. The ride broke down, the lights came on and they had to manually open all the honey pots to get us out. Then we had to go with a CM to each honey pot while they got all the guests out of the ride. We were told no pictures and it was all very safe and organized. As we exited a CM gave us a fast pass good for anytime.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That story this summer of the monorail breaking down and the people being stuck for three hours? Shudder.

All i know, if SEPTA left its passengers stuck on a commuter train for an hour it would be on the Philadelphia news... I have been stuck a few times and just used it as nap time but i don't run a schedule when at Disney. No ADRs, no show or event tickets and no FP+ that require you to be at a specific location at a specific time... I love Disney but it is an issue.

Orlando Sentinel (news paper) 407-420-5000
WESH 2 News at 407-645-2222
etc...

I've already told my nephew there is no way we are getting on the monorail during our trip next month. We will use the motor launches to get around. And I am someone who loves to ride the monorail just for fun! I would be a mess if I was trapped in one for 3 hours. :scared:

Been lucky my 42 years of going there I guess. Never broke down while on. Also not EVERY time is it crowded. Except for openings and closings of parks they are half way filled at most.

We have friends who just got back and they were stuck for almost 2 hours. Missed their dinner and then missed last night of Wishes for their trip because they had to eat. Their car was standing room only and their child sat on the floor but they didn't want to because it was dirty. WDW didn't really apologize or even offer them water once it got restarted. I'm not sure if the AC was off or it was just a lot of late afternoon sun coming in but they said it was uncomfortably hot.

I'm claustrophobic. I can't imagine being stuck that long. I grew up in NYC, and haved lived in other cities with public transportation. I have never, EVER, been stuck on a train that long - hell, not even half that.

"Just roll with it", while a nice attitude for some, is really unacceptable when it comes to being stuck for three hours.

If I were stuck, in claustrophobia hell, for even 45 minutes, I'd expect an apology, and some form of tangible proof of that - meal vouchers, etc.

I hate hearing about all of this because I'm a ferry and launch fan and now I'm afraid that those will be more crowded! Plus we enjoy the TTC to Epcot ride and now I'm leery of that one.

Yes, being stuck for 3 hours is way too long.

Off topic but the last time we were there Winnie the Pooh broke down. Of course they have a the cute why. Pooh spilled honey on the tracks.

We were right up front next to the ride operator stand and being the technical person I am, I enjoyed watching the process of them stopping the ride, getting the folks off, fixing the problem and getting the ride back up again more than the ride.

They dealt with the situation so quickly and calmly. People came out of the walls and everyone had a job. This is one of those things that makes Disney heads and shoulders above the rest.

We had a similar experience this October on Splash Mtn. We went with it and treated it as a new experience. The evac out of the cars was handled well by the managers on hand and we even got to see things you'd only see on a behind the scenes tour.

That being said 3 hours stuck on anything would test a saints patience.

That is my fear. Especially if the monorail broke down when it wasn't at a station. OMG

That is my fear, too.

Seriously, what would someone do if they HAD to go? :confused3
Being stuck for 2-3 hours, someone must have had that issue. (I'm afraid it would have been me!) :eek:

I just don't understand why they can't move (tow) the monorail into a station and open the doors to let the people out? This couldn't take 3 hours or even 2 hours to do. What if there was a medical emergency on the monorail? What if there was an infant on there without a bottle? A bathroom issue? Someone vomited? :rolleyes2 I mean, in 2 or 3 hours a lot could happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter