• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stronger, More Defined Core, Accountability Needed???

Hey guys...sorry I've been SO busy!!! Let me see if I can help a bit Bubba:

1. Leg Raises: Try this version and let me know what you think. Lay down on your back, Place your hands (thumbs actually) under your tail bone for back support. Begin by bringing both knees into your chest, now curl your head, neck and shoulders off the mat, lift your elbows up slightly. From this position lenthen/straighten your legs up toward the ceiling. Now to begin the exercise only lower your legs to about 45 degrees....not even half way to the floor, then use your abdominal muscles to bring your legs back up. Don't lower them toward the floor at all. To 10 sets if you can. Let me know if these still hurt.

2. Love Handles, Lower Back: If you refer to the exercises I posted early on here in the thread (page 2 I think)...give those a try. You want to work your obliques and transverse abs. The Abdominal Series is a great set of exercises...start with those first. You should see results!

3. Hamstrings....Men have notoriously tight hamstrings. Daily gentle stretches of the hamstrings should help. Pilates will help too! Try laying on the floor and use an old neck tie or belt. Lay on the your, bend your left leg and place the foot down on the mat. Put the belt/tie around your right foot and hold onto each end with your hands. Straighten your leg toward the ceiling. GENTLY draw your leg in for a nice stretch...just be gentle here. Hold for up to one minute. Now take both straps in your left hand, anchor your body with your right arm, and gently draw your leg across your body for a good IT band and glute stretch. Try to keep both hips anchoring toward the mat, not lifting your right side off the mat for a deeper stretch.

Hey guys...sorry I've been SO busy!!! Let me see if I can help a bit Bubba:
3. Hamstrings....Men have notoriously tight hamstrings. Daily gentle stretches of the hamstrings should help. Pilates will help too! Try laying on the floor and use an old neck tie or belt. Lay on the your, bend your left leg and place the foot down on the mat. Put the belt/tie around your right foot and hold onto each end with your hands. Straighten your leg toward the ceiling. GENTLY draw your leg in for a nice stretch...just be gentle here. Hold for up to one minute. Now take both straps in your left hand, anchor your body with your right arm, and gently draw your leg across your body for a good IT band and glute stretch. Try to keep both hips anchoring toward the mat, not lifting your right side off the mat for a deeper stretch.

I think I lost part of this in the translation because I really don't "see" the stretch. Most of what I have been doing is stretching before and after cardio which would include lifting my leg up to where it is perpendicular with the ground and try to reach down and touch my toes and hold. I will also lay down on the floor and try to put one leg back (as if I am trying to do a half split) and then try to reach out to touch my toes again. I will do what I call the runner's stretch for the inner thighs and stretch my calves. A lot of different stretches I am still a little afraid of with my knee still giving me some issues from time to time but I will gingerly work my way into a correct position to be able to do it.

Thanks again!
Bryan

Bubba...here is a picture. Never lock your knee, always keep it softly bent so as to not put any strain on it. Also...you can bend the leg that is not stretching which will feel a little better for you. Once you stretch like that, then continue holding onto the strap and draw the leg across your body (toward the left/center of your body) keeping your hips anchoring down toward the mat (in other words don't lift the butt up on one side). Hope this helps.

http://www.sissel-online.com/exercise/yoga_sup_1leg-hamstring-str_strap.php

Late to the core party... may I join? I've gone through all the previous posts, and have printed out all of Amy's recommended exercises, so I can have them on hand at home. Thanks sooo much for all of them, and also for this thread.

Amy, I have the Pilates Weightloss for Dummies DVD. I have another series at home too, don't remember what they are, but will post it from home tonight to get your feedback if you don't mind?!

Going to give these a try tonight!

ok, i just read the entire thread! That counts as core workout time right?

Dave and Amy you two are especially inspiring, but all you core warriors are fantastic!

I've been thinking quite a bit about core work and stretching since i pulled by ITband just before Minnie. It's stupidly tight, as apparently are most of my muscles and tendons :( If i bend to try to touch my toes i get to mid-shins max.... hmm.

So i have WiiFit and have been doing the yoga and muscle workouts on that(except any involving weight bearing on arm due to an old fracture). Anyone have any opinion on the quality of the Wii exercises? It's quite possible that i could be doing them completely wrong but keeping myself balanced on the board! :hyper: It's fun tho, especially as i get to pick a male instructor without the embarrassment of him actually seeing me :rotfl:

I SO need to join this group! I'm training for the DL half for the second year in a row and I promised myself that I would do more strength training this time, but I'm failing at that horribly.

I have to second all the comments about the Pilates videos. I have a Pilates for Weight Loss dvd that has a few 10 minute programs. I tried the 10 minute ab program one Monday morning....I couldn't even do all of the excercises and it was only 10 minutes, but I was sore until Friday!!!!!

I know that I could get better if I just did that set of exercises a few days a week...maybe talking to all of you will be the motivation I need!!!

How's everyone doing? Still hard at work on core exercises?

I've done 3 days of Pilates/core work this week - I still end up a sweaty mess after doing Amy's list of exercises, even though it's just a few minutes of workout! I hope that means it's working... ;)

Jackie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter