Strongbow Cider in UK Epcot?

Clotho

Doting on Disney
Hello there friends,

So I admit it...I have become a bit of a cider snob. Back when cider was much more rare, a lot of what we got here in Seattle were imports from Europe. Blackthorn and Strongbow were my favorites--medium-dry English ciders make me happy. The US-made ciders were a bit too sweet for me, and most of them still are. If I wanted apple juice I woulda' ordered it, amirite?!

So it came as a huge shock and disappointment when I learned that my local stores stopped importing Blackthorn, and still worse, Strongbow CHANGED THEIR FORMULA to try and appeal to the American palette. They made it sweeter of course. AUGH!

What I was never clear on is if the UK Strongbow formula is still the same. And if it IS still the same, if the Rose & Crown is importing the UK version still, or if they are swapping over to the (gag) Americanized version. :confused3

It is a fairly obscure question, I know, and not one I expect anyone to necessarily know off the bat. BUT I hoped that if someone were Dis'ing from the World right now, or might be going soon, that they could ask the bartender for me? I am going for my 40th birthday in a few weeks, and one of my favorite afternoon relaxation breaks is a cheese plate and big old Imperial Pint of Strongbow at Rose & Crown.

Thanks in advance.

I would love to know the answer to this too. I'm glad to hear someone besides me is disappointed in the new formula!

I was SO upset when I found out they changed the formula! The 'new' Strongbow is just not as good :-(. It was so packed in Rose and Crown Pub when I went that I just ordered my Strongbow and didn't ask but it tasted like the new Strongbow. It didn't have that same refreshing bite which made me think it's not the original formula. That is just from my drinking it though, not an official answer from the Pub.

Seriously doubt R&C would import something special, their tap offerings are about as pedestrian as you can find in a British style pub...they don't make any effort to appeal to serious beer (or cider) palates.

Hello there friends,

So I admit it...I have become a bit of a cider snob. Back when cider was much more rare, a lot of what we got here in Seattle were imports from Europe. Blackthorn and Strongbow were my favorites--medium-dry English ciders make me happy. The US-made ciders were a bit too sweet for me, and most of them still are. If I wanted apple juice I woulda' ordered it, amirite?!

So it came as a huge shock and disappointment when I learned that my local stores stopped importing Blackthorn, and still worse, Strongbow CHANGED THEIR FORMULA to try and appeal to the American palette. They made it sweeter of course. AUGH!

What I was never clear on is if the UK Strongbow formula is still the same. And if it IS still the same, if the Rose & Crown is importing the UK version still, or if they are swapping over to the (gag) Americanized version. :confused3

It is a fairly obscure question, I know, and not one I expect anyone to necessarily know off the bat. BUT I hoped that if someone were Dis'ing from the World right now, or might be going soon, that they could ask the bartender for me? I am going for my 40th birthday in a few weeks, and one of my favorite afternoon relaxation breaks is a cheese plate and big old Imperial Pint of Strongbow at Rose & Crown.

Thanks in advance.

Wow. I'm curious too!

You have to be diligent in asking/looking if it is Strongbow (UK) or the new Strongbow Gold (US). My wife loves Strongbow (Gold is too sweet for her too) and got burned at a few places when Gold came out, as that was what she was served instead of the original Strongbow.

During our last trip in June, we stopped by the R&C outdoor bar for a drink and they only had the Strongbow Gold there (don't know if it was different inside). So my wife opted instead for the Magner's Pear Cider - and she liked it much better than the Gold.

Cheers!

When I was younger I used to drink Woodpecker which was the sweeter version of Strongbow. I haven't seen Woodpecker on sale for over 10 years now. I wonder if this Strongbow Gold you're getting is the equivalent of the Woodpecker. It's certainly not on sale over here.

What we do find the supermarkets full of these days is different fruit flavoured ciders - red berries, lime, pear ... you name it! I haven't taken the plunge and tried any of them because I'm not much of a drinker, tbh.

I find Strongbow one if the worst ciders you can get in the UK, but that could be because it isn't sweet at all.

When I was younger I used to drink Woodpecker which was the sweeter version of Strongbow. I haven't seen Woodpecker on sale for over 10 years now. I wonder if this Strongbow Gold you're getting is the equivalent of the Woodpecker. It's certainly not on sale over here.

What we do find the supermarkets full of these days is different fruit flavoured ciders - red berries, lime, pear ... you name it! I haven't taken the plunge and tried any of them because I'm not much of a drinker, tbh.

Woodpecker is still sold! In Tesco anyway, is a lovely cider! Less alcoholic so is a bit more sweeter.
Cider has had a bit of a cool phase lately with all the different flavoured ciders, raspberry or lime cider is delishious!

I love a Cider and Black on a sunny day

I find Strongbow one if the worst ciders you can get in the UK, but that could be because it isn't sweet at all.

Haha I think I'd call Frosty Jacks the worst cider in the UK lol, I don't think a single apple went into the formula

Speaking of strongbow...

I always decide against the bottle here in the us and get it if it's on draught....might that be a difference between the gold and not? Or is the taste difference in my head?

So disappointing… My first experience with Strongbow was quite a few years ago in London. So sad they changed the formula! Great question….

Did anyone find out for sure? I miss original strongbow. At the risk of sounding hipster, it was one of the few I could get in the states before the "gluten free" thing caught on. Usually places only had woodchuck and that's just gross. Ironically woodchuck sold the US rights to strongbow to Heineken who are the ones who ditched the original recipe. I think many people objected and their market share did drop, maybe Heineken will fix their mistake eventually (we can hope). Otherwise I'll need to make some friends in the UK who can just ship me over some 2 liter bottles of the stuff (speaking of, that was one of the oddest things I saw over in the UK- alcohol sold in a 2 liter plastic soda bottle)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter